Author Topic: welding rims  (Read 9571 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: welding rims
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 09:52:20 pm »
like i said im not gonna stress over it now and in the future im just going to use new rims if i have a rim thats cracked.
a few months ago i got a rear rim on a 94 XR 600 welded up as it had a quite large split, but it wasnt going to be re annodized. we told the owner it would only be a temporary job till he has the dollars for a new rim, and it would probably crack again and the other he said actually had cracked again. also ive found that when ever ive had any alloy welding done on a part then got it annodized the process brings out all the chemicals/white or black stuff ( i dont know what it is) in the weld and tarnishes ths part.ive cleaned the area and polished it back and it looks fine but when it comes back from annodizing its basically ruined. the annodizing process reacts with the weld filler rod/flux or what ever.i dont think its a problem with the annodizer, its just the 2 different metals, eg the weld material is slightly different to the material of the rim. ive also had a PE swing arm annodized and there was no problems with the annodizing reacting with the original welds on that
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 07:39:35 am »

Thanks Doc, I'll give him a whirl.
FatBoyCrash

fatboycrash, if you are on the Northside then give Bushell Engineering a go.

5 Jobson St Albion  Ph. 32629044

http://www.bushellengineering.com.au/index.html

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:32 am »
No, it's not the anodisers fault, different alloys will give different colours. You may be using the wrong filler rod on the rims, 5356 filler should work ok. I think it's the silicon that comes up black.
The trouble with repairs is that it's hard to know the alloy that was originally used. I have welded up chew marks in swingarms & they polish up fine but will show up as a discoloured patch after anodising.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/