Author Topic: Mo-Tow bike cariers, anyone use one?  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
Re: Mo-Tow bike cariers, anyone use one?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
I too have concerns about this device.To my mind the bike is sticking out too far either side of the vehicle. Does it have any compliance or approval tag, load rating . Unfortunately in this day and age it's got to be legal for when the proverbial hits the fan.I wonder about car insurance if there's an accident. Apart from all that the highway patrol are coming down on unsafe loads, a bloke was fined for not having his esky tied down on the ute tray.You probably can't even make your own number plate either.

this mo-tow is rated to carry 400lbs, it has the manufactures details on a tag but no compliance plate, but it would not need one as really it is no different to a rack to carry pushbikes. provided your lights and number plate can be seen then there is no problem. i have used an issued number plate and i am aware of the fines for using non ADR plates, although my vehical is 1976 so i can use old plastic number plates as non reflective plates are legal on vehicals dated pre 1981 and replacement plates issued before 1985... in SA, no idea regarding other states..

the platform itself is about 25mm wider than my 4WD, but the Scouts wheel flares are wider than that anyway. the bikes wheels do hang out the side more than the platform, but my mirrors are wider again, either way it's still narrower than the 7X5 trailer that i usually tow.

it's no different to all the grey nomads who have IT175's and XR200's attached to the back of their Jayco's
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:14:20 pm by Zakk »