Author Topic: In 20 years time..  (Read 8008 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: In 20 years time..
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:21 am »
If alloy frames are all broken there'll be many aftermarket new replica's being available, if not it'll be KTM's cleaning up  :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:32 am »
KTMs are lucky to last 20min let alone 20 yrs.
If you read the posts over you will work out that parts wont be a problem as you will be able to 'print your own at home' :D :D
And they wont be electric Firko as all the elec will be used to keep our ever warming planet cool enough for the soft cocks that work in offices.
My pick is compressed air powered mountain bikes. Very light and completely "re-chargable"  Everyone will have one and they will assist us to live well into our hundreds.
Mine will just have a Wasp logo....oh and 3 wheels ;D ;D ;D ;D   

TM BILL

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 11:37:25 am »
Gnnn.....I was trying to kick off a debate on the relative (un) merits of alu frames put into a VMX context. You mob go and hijack the thread. I'm going to sulk now...... 8)

I reckon alu frames suck. They're expensive, bulky and alu work hardens. I once saw a 15 yo Beta zero trials bike (first alu framed off road bike if you exclude Greeves) and it was rooted. Bits of the frame would crack and fall off with regularity. So how many alu framed bikes will be around in 20 years?

Apart from the afore mentioned Greeves (witch have seemed to be very durable ) and the YZM 500 then WTF do aluminium frames have to do with vintage motocross  ???

Are you suggesting Tim that in 20 yrs that (supposing they last ) todays ali framed 4 stoke shitters will be considered vmx bikes  ???

Mate we soooooooooooooo see it differently if thats the case  :)

In 20 yrs time i would like to think that i will still be riding /racing and on the same bikes i do it on today . I dont for a minute think my opinion of the crap they call motocross bikes today would have changed any more than i imagine the poxy things will evolve much more in the next 20 yrs .

In 20 yrs i think the possible issues will be getting land to race on ( its already getting harder due to noise issues thanks to those diesal shitters they ride today ) and being able to afford fuel for my race bikes .

Depending on your pov VMX  cuts off at 1974, 1977, 1981, 1984, 1989 , after 1989 i think if you surveyed the current vmx community a large percentage would agree that its somthing ( old bikes ? ) but  it aint VMX.

Do you really think that in 20 yrs the current crop of baggy arsed forkwits who masqeraude as MX riders and who are bought up to belive that they are entightled to a living and that everything is disposable will really want to pick up a shitty old dirt bike from today and go masqurading as MX riders a second time round  ::)

What we have is special for our generations  :) enjoy it and long shall VMX as we know it remain  :) but i would rather see it run its course or burn out with its current mix of enthusiast and competitors than become a shadow of its former self with wankers on diesal shitters  :-*

Trials i dont give a flying fork about  ;D nice to practice going slow on if thats your thing  ;)

TM BILL

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 11:40:28 am »

Mine will just have a Wasp logo....oh and 3 wheels ;D ;D ;D ;D   

And 5 or 6 on the line of a 40 gate start at the start of a race and 3 finishers ;D

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
KTMs are lucky to last 20min let alone 20 yrs.   
Are you crazy  ???
At Classic Dirt 32 the pre 2010 open class will be full of KTM 300's and the VIP guest will be Antonoi "bugs" Carolli. :)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »
 In 20yrs time I'll be looking over my shoulder trying to push start my slider and yelling to Slides "stop winging about you gammy leg and PUSH!
Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »
TFT,If the frames work harden,I am not a metalurgist & also I know nuffink about the subject, But would not alloy swingarms fit into the same category,sure they are not under the same stresses as a frame but I would reckon they would cop a fair bit of twisting & flexing especially on a big bore,they have been factory fitted since the late 70's to most mxer's followed a few years later with the enduro models & they are still going strong for the most part ;),All the current generation 4 bangers will be garage queens in 20 years  coz the motors will all be knackered & the blokes who rode them in the day will all have droopy ear lobes from the stupid forking stretching rings they put in them :D
As for VMX we will still be riding,restoring & bullshitting about our then 59 year old pre 75 bikes :)

maico police

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »
.......they'll still be banging on about RM B swingarms and having to shorten the travel of pre '78 bikes...... ::)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 05:00:20 pm »
   Yeah and the powers to be still wont be losin' a moments sleep about it  :D

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »
Not a good idea to use the RM B optional swingarm anyhoo Mont it might fall to bits :P

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
i think there optimistic  going for 20 years as well ,10 will see me out

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »
You clowns have got it all wrong. We are trying to use our alloy B arms now before hardening, brittleness, electrolysis, osmosis and termites set in and keep our good steel arms for later.

Who's the smart ones now...huh  :P
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »
Haa Don't sweat on it, as in twenty years the save the planet do gooder morons will have shafted two and three wheeled machines. (for everyone's safety of course!)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »
(This post begun many hours ago)

The first mainstream aluminium framed MX bike (1997 CR250) is sixteen years old now. They're not showing any more signs of fatigue problems than chromoly frames of the same age.

I'm no fan of aluminium frames, but the manufacturers all worked out that fatigue life could be a problem, and built them with an emphasis on longevity, rather than weight.

The fact they're made from old Pepsi cans will not be a significant factor in 20 years' time.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:59 pm »
"Those baggy arse forkwits"  ... will be running the show by then and the pre 60 bikes will be pushing up daisy along with their owners.