Author Topic: DC Plastics  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
DC Plastics
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:40:21 am »
I know DC's have been done to death before...but I got a HVA rear guard from Les the other day... I looks like it has been stored on a barrel...it is so wide, that to fit it in the rear frame loop I had to spring it in....I may have to tie it up and heat it up to re-shape it so I can use it... The edges/ends are not cut "square"... pretty disappointing really...paid $70 ish plus post and may not be able to use it without some work...

TM BILL

Re: DC Plastics
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »
Could it be that you have got old stock Brian ? what bike was it for ? if its unusual it may be slow moving stock ie old stock .
I bought some stuff direct from DC plastics recently ( tried Les but by the time i got a reply the stuff was already here direct from DC  ::))

Side panels for a 74 KX 125 , inner rear gaurd for RM 125S and a rear gaurd for a 1980 XR 250 . I was very happy with the fit and the finish of it all , DC is as far as i know the only ones who make these particular items and postage was very fair and very fast .

In the past i have had a few shockers from DC but i think the quality is improving and their inventory is 2nd to none  :)

Sure other outfits make higher quality finished products for limited models , Joan said the other day that those flash YZ plastics are drying up and the moulds are now worn so further production is unlikely  :(

Remember the early days when you couldn't buy anything but NOS (if you could find it ) or generic plastics  :D I have some fibre glass moulds the late Barry Senn had made to turn out glass fibre fenders for RM A /B models  Early KX models and 75 RH and RM 125S side panels .

Dc do fill a niche in the market but yes its not always perfect .

Its a pisser that you got a dud Brian , why not contact DC direct , maybe they have a new run with better fit and finish ? got to be worth a shot .

If they dont get feedback about this sort of thing they will probably continue producing the same none the wiser .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:53:48 pm by TM bill »

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:54 pm »
Hear,Hear Bill, It's about time DC got the recognition they deserve,they are not the best in finish & fit out there but they try damn hard & without guys like Don we would be lost,I get a fair bit of  different stuff off him,not just plastics and find his service the best in the business :) 

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:40:52 pm »
I purchased some DC stuff from Les for an 84 WR just prior to CD9, the rear guard was perfect, in fact much better than the 'Top Quality' one I purchased  out of the USA ( it is wide, wide, wide, and am considering replacing it with anoth DC item.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »
If I was doing a 10 point resto I probably wouldn't use DC plastic but for the hot rod specials I build DC does it just right. I've ordered mudguards and sidepanels that were listed as only available in factory colours in my favourite translucent white and Don's been more than obliging in supplying them as quick as a flash. A few months ago he had a "factory seconds" sale on eBay and seeing a full kit for my IT250H, got it all for half the catalogue price. It fits pretty well too, with just a little hot air gun tweaking needed on one of the side panels.

I can't believe the amount of flack Don gets on the various vintage forums. Sure, his vacuum formed parts aren't as "factory" as many of the more expensive products on the market but overall his stuff's pretty good for a racer. He's the only one making plastic for lesser known brand bikes. Who else would bother to make replacement parts for Rupp, Puch or ATK? DC provide a great service providing good honest parts for the Joe Average racer. The anal restorers have plenty of other manufacturers to choose from.

Brian, as Bill said why don't you take a photo of your dodgy 'guard and send it to Don and see if he can replace it for you. He's been more than fair in my dealings with him and he's a member of this forum.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »
Hear,Hear Bill, It's about time DC got the recognition they deserve,they are not the best in finish & fit out there but they try damn hard & without guys like Don we would be lost,I get a fair bit of  different stuff off him,not just plastics and find his service the best in the business :) 
I'll secound that.