Author Topic: English Bikes.......What Bikes did you Race in the Early Days ?  (Read 7465 times)

Curly3

Re: English Bikes.......What Bikes did you Race in the Early Days ?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
Gobsmacked, as you know Dave I only live one suburb away from Belfield, can you pinpoint where.
Trust the Short Circuit guy's to get the forum buzzing again.
SC shat all over MX ( Scrambles ) back then.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »
I don't think they have built on the land yet, however, it is MANICURED lawn with PARKLAND trees now..........coming from Belfield shopping centre towards Croydon Park, the land is on the left before you get to Coronation Parade.
When I joined Central in 1967, it was a Short Circuit club mainly, which suited Ricky Day and me and all the young blokes I joined with. My hero has always been Mr Magic.......Jim Airey and the Speedway Royale in Sydney was MECCA......In Short Circuit.....The Captain, although the 2 best riders I ever saw were pommies !!....Dave Mitchell and Julian Wigg....don't tell anybody I said that !!
When I rode Short Circuit, it was VERY competitive and WARLIKE !! I was surprised when in the pits at Speedway, Road Racing and Scrambles/MX the riders were so friendly to each other..........However, I loved the HARDNESS of Short Circuit and the riders !!
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »
What I love about the Triumph........you can RACE it on Sunday....and TOUR on it on Monday........

Curly3

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »
Faaaaaaaaaaaaark, Georges River rd just before Coronation pde, I walk my dog there nearly every morning, well maybe not so much recently but it's just a spit from home.
It now hosts the Starr Bros Circus once a year.
That really is amazing because we only lived one or two suburbs away and had no idea, back then Carlos and I were taken to countless open SC & Road Racing meetings nearly every second weekend.
How many other stories are there of suburban tracks like this from the bygone days?, now theres a topic all on its own.
These days you can't even fart in your own backyard >:(.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
So true Steve. I will have to ask Kesso ( Kevin that is ) the name of the street off Water Street he lived in, before he moved to Raleigh, it was near Ford Park. In the same area, but on the other side of the canal, we built an MX track, also. In fact I discovered a young guy JUMPING LIKE MADMAN over our jumps.....I convinced him to buy my DT1 Yammy and join Central........his name.....John Behrens.....he went on to be one of the most spectacular MX riders of the 70's.......he was discovered by me at Belfield MX !!

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:58 pm »
Mine was a 1961 norton single in a slim line featherbed, the bike is 20 yrs older than me, so does that count for the early days?

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »
FAAAAAAAARK, fellow Central member and rode for Betric Racing along with Geoff & Jan.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:10 pm »
I cant remember what year........someone might have the records......maybe '78....Nepean 6 Hour.......Betric entered 2 new Yammys.....John had first choice....the 4 stroke or the 2 stroke ?.........he picked the TT 500........so me and my team had the 2 stroke...a 400. This was the first time I rode a bike that could win against the BIG BOYS !! We practiced Saturday on old tyres and put new tyres on for Sunday.......I pinched the tube on the rear tyre and PATCHED IT........WRONG !! With an hour to go.......the 4 stroke was no chance, we were comfortably in 2nd.......In a NSW TITLE EVENT !! The patch lifted, we had to come in and change a wheel......still came 4th....my fault....DICKHEAD !! John was sillier.....he picked the wrong bike !!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:14:13 pm by Purple Dave »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:15 pm »
Mine was a 1961 norton single in a slim line featherbed, the bike is 20 yrs older than me, so does that count for the early days?

It certainly does , Cemoto, in the early '70s, EA and I owned a 650 SS in a Slimline, what a pisser of a bike to ride on the Taralga to Goulburn road, bloody brilliant handling, brakes weren't all that good but they only slow ya down !!
Foss 

albrid-3

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »
I started racing on a Montesa Cappra 125 1972, In the 60`s my brothers race Cottons, F21m, Montesa, Triumph 650 twin. Matchless, AJS. and all are court on film
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:19:42 pm by Dave #6 »

Offline sprint76

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »
Like Dave I started racing with Spanish bikes, first a Bully, then a Monty.
But then I got my hands on a brand spanking new Hagon 84s, boy oh boy what a bike.
Sold it Len Anderson when I went to speedway. But I would give my left nut for one now. :)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:19 pm »
dave
i now have a yetman 750 pre70 dirttrack triumph its on the way from its home in las vegas to a new home in sydney namely nepean.
also have the makings of a pre65 a65 bsa vmx bike which i need to sell.
started on a triumph cub now at a good age of 55 a quick tr6r 750
jim

TM BILL

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:12 am »
Circa  1973 BSA Bantam