Author Topic: Is it just me or are we getting ripped on shipping from the U.S.?  (Read 3518 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
I got a small needle roller bearing for my gearbox. It's about the diameter of a twenty cent piece. They wanted $18 to post it. This thing would fit into an envelope. I asked the question and they were adiment that was the cost.
Just going through the eBay listings and some of the shipping prices are out of control. A universal muffler, $55.
Am I behind the times? Have the prices gone up that much?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or are we getting ripped on shipping from the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »
It's the USPS and eBay online shipping calculators being totally out of whack Brad. Most sellers go for whatever it tells them but if you tell them that it's way wrong and ask if they could get a proper quote from the post office most will do it for you and are as shocked as you are at how far out the calculator is.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »
Some won't!  >:(
I was quoted $106.00 to post an Ossa fuel cap! But the seller sticks by that quote.......  ::)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
Yep i noticed that the other day when i was going to buy a 74 maico
frame but i bulked at the USPS shipping price of $395. ???

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »
similar theme to you guys,
i always ask the question first and if they won't come to the party i shoot them a messege to say i've found someone that can..
i don't have too much money to throw around for postage,
just gimme the part!
"flat bickie"

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
I always question thier postage price before bidding, and they normaly come back with a realistic price.
Brad - you should be paying aound $7-00 max , as I had an idler gear arrive this week in a  padded envelope  costing  $7-65.
Firko is on the mark ,  ;D ;D

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »
What I have done on the past and in this instance is to ask for a refund of the postage difference. If they still won't then it's a negative feedback.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
Several times i've received items where the shipping price on the package is quite a bit less than i was charged, i've queried it and then been refunded most times. It must be the seller going with the online calcular price.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »
i think you can report over chargeing to ebay for exesive postal cost

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
I might take Brad's advise on board, with the " feedback "  8).  Most times when the parcel arrives the " stamped price " on the package, is a lot less, then what I was charged for  >:(
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »
usps 1st class mail is cheap but sellers resist using it now days coz of no tracking and if the part doesnt get here then they have to give your funds back under new paypal rules so they have lost alot of sales from me

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »
A bare frame cost me around 450 AUD from the east coast of the US by UPS.  it was 2 inches too big to come by post.  I wanted the frame and that is just what it cost and I was happy to pay.  It took about 8 days to get delivered to my door and I think that was pretty  good.  For small stuff I agree that the cost can be disproportionate

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 11:19:08 pm »
To put things in a little perspective, a frame shipped from say LA on the US west coast to Brisbane is a journey of about 11500k's. Add in the numerous handlers that load and unload and then have it delivered to you door for a cost of $400 means it has actually cost around 3.5 cents per km / $3.50 per 100km or $35.00 per 1000km.  A small item with a postage price of $18 the cost drops to 0.0015 cents per km. Cheap ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 01:30:51 pm »
actually - slightly different note - have the posting dimensions changed?  I am trying to buy a Jemco pipe for my YZ - was told it had to be cut in 2 - yet I have bought DG pipes for my 78 CR and they came in one piece?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:29:52 pm »
To put things in a little perspective, a frame shipped from say LA on the US west coast to Brisbane is a journey of about 11500k's. Add in the numerous handlers that load and unload and then have it delivered to you door for a cost of $400 means it has actually cost around 3.5 cents per km / $3.50 per 100km or $35.00 per 1000km.  A small item with a postage price of $18 the cost drops to 0.0015 cents per km. Cheap ;)
I think that's irrellivent as when I get the item the sticker will say $6-7 dollars. If that's all it cost them , that's all it should cost me. I do the same.