Author Topic: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014  (Read 112752 times)

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
Re: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:02 pm »
I wasn't there to see it, but let's be honest - 30 year old bikes, many (most?) with drum brakes, with trials tyres ridden by blokes probably in their 50s are not gonna cut it speed wise against pretty much anything else. The Evo class would be for interests sake only really. If you want fast old bikes, let them run anything pre 85 or pre 90 with open slather on wheels/tyres and hire some young guns...

HERE ! HERE ! Graeme.............and believe me, the spectator interest in our OLD bikes was HUGE !!
I did have 2 wins on the day also...........Oldest Rider at 62 and Oldest Bike at '74........ 8)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 21, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »
 I was not there but it seems to me that if some hot shot  turned up on a slider fitted with a modern non-methanol burner power plant say Honda or Yamaha we may see a spectacular return of the slider class.

Apart from that I didn't miss being trackside for this great event in the heat 'cos I have vivid memories of riding Old Bar circuit 40 odd years ago this time of the year, it felt like I was getting sunburnt through my leathers!

cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »
I was not there but it seems to me that if some hot shot  turned up on a slider fitted with a modern non-methanol burner power plant say Honda or Yamaha we may see a spectacular return of the slider class.

Apart from that I didn't miss being trackside for this great event in the heat 'cos I have vivid memories of riding Old Bar circuit 40 odd years ago this time of the year, it felt like I was getting sunburnt through my leathers!

cheers pancho

Hi Wal
We can thank the inventors of the PIT SHADE for keeping us relatively cool on what was a SCORCHER !! 8) 8) 8)

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2014, 06:23:16 pm »
Having been in the field at the practice days I can tell you that the tyres were a shocker, I had 2 sets on at temora and another bike with a scrubbed out set of vee rubbers and they were chalk and grease.
Its easy to stand on the hill and tell everyone how much faster you could have gone but these old rigs are just plain slow compared to the moderns.
The girls were running away from my 465 at Practice and I was flat out.
The first corner in the first race was a good example of the lack of grip, a trafic jam under brakes, big bores were abandoned by most for 250's.
Get down to Nepean and see if you can get around Roy Gay, Darrell, Shaun,Webby, Adrian Brook or even I will give you a good run for your money.
And where are all these trick bikes at the regular meetings?
I read about all these hot rods, see a few pictures of them but never see or hear a cheney, or a champion framed triumph imported special
The sport is the regular blokes on what ever they can bang together to ride on their budgets not some blokes pool room special that gets dragged out on special occasions with some pimple faced kid on it.
Even if you had a fleet of xr750s etc with gun yesterdays heros on them they would have been reeasonably slow without the modern wets, just look at Cam Donalds day with 19" dirt track tyres.
I am pretty sure that whoever you put out there on an EVO with trials tyres would have struggled all day.
I hope the Penrith club gets the gig next year and some improvements can be made.
As far as the dogs breakfast of bikes a couple of them were almost newly prepared and saved for the meeting, please tell me what sort of exotica they should have taken?
how much flasher can you get than the Lorenzi rigs?
The armchair critics are really starting to shit me!
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »
Don't quite understand what you mean about the tyres
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2014, 06:48:50 pm »
Don't quite understand what you mean about the tyres

For starters GDR........they are 4 Ply Rubber ( no, NYLON !! )........my SC 500 handles like shit to start with, but with my Mitas 2 Ply tyres, at least the front HOLDS ON !! :D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 21, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
Sorelegs I'm not an armchair critic I'm out there racing all the time, vintage and modern. I'll bet I've done more racing over the last 10 years than you have so pull your head in! And I'll happily race those guys, I've raced Roy many times in MX and am more than capable at Dirt Track.
Step outside the little circle you live in and come to Qld if you want to see some trick bikes and good riders that you'd have never heard of.
Let the bikes run with some better tyres or even allow an 18" front, it costs begger all to lace up an 18 front and use K180's front and rear.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »
Did you not run the trial uni tyres

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »
If its an EVO class you should be able to run tyres similar to the old Dunlop K70 or the Carlisle that were used back in the day, inc a 19" front.
On a side note, be prepared that soon the tyres we use today will need to be speed rated.
I'm talking about trials tyres in particular.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 21, 2014, 07:02:13 pm »
         Checking out the times theres bugger all in it! on round 4 the evo best lap time came in at around 26.4 , the 250 pro lites 24, the 450 pro 22.6, the 65's were around the same as evo @ 26 (the power to weight of those giggers is bullshit )! with a young gun or top older  rider on a good evo  there would be SFA in it - anybody see mick kirkness on phil youngs ossa at the first bayliss meeting !! And iam with wally i'd like to see watto or some other slider gun out there  cookin' with fat  ;D 

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
no one seemed to have trouble at Temora running uni's .

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2014, 07:15:59 pm »

Even if you had a fleet of xr750s etc with gun yesterdays heros on them they would have been reeasonably slow without the modern wets, just look at Cam Donalds day with 19" dirt track tyres.

Bayliss and Crumpy used 18" dirt track fronts...

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2014, 07:17:44 pm »
Another question, is the Americana oval a new addition or was I not paying attention last year?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »
Yes it is new..

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:40 pm »
Great, old timers hasn't kicked in just yet then.
I've only seen footage of the event and there's plenty inc heaps of GoPro stuff but I reckon it was awesome.
The oval would really suit the big bore Twins if they manage to get a start next year.