Author Topic: Tools you've always wanted...  (Read 26946 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tools you've always wanted...
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »
Jim put me onto this handy little tool. It's perfect for when you're wanting to tune your bike with the tank off or when you need to run some petrol through your engine to burn off the last remnants of methanol. I think I bought mine from http://www.torpedo7.com.au or eBay maybe, it's been a couple of years. It was cheaper than this particular one I seem to recall. It wouldn't be so hard to make your own from a plastic bottle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Shop-Auxiliary-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Tool-/390396616087?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ae5739d97&vxp=mtr                             

Heres one that i made back in the early 8-'s when I was working for a Honda dealership. Tank is from a old lawnmower. Was a must have to allow setting up and balancing carbies on the 4 cylinder UJM's of the time.

Also her is my take on starting rollers. I made this unit up using the engine from a stuffed Davey Firefighter pump as a means of starting a very hot / hi comp SR500 that I built to run at the DLRA speed trials at Lake Gairdinder.

Not Quite a sucess as it has trouble with tuning over the engine due to the Hi comp. I have to get around to trying some different pully ratios.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 07:18:48 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQsWbTlcD0
or
home grown with mum and kids 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7m-uo4cLck
or the "Legend"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le15rkBbIsw

I used to 'borrow' Mick Hockleys electric grinder powered roller when he and I were racing at Nepean but he's now sold his dirt Maico's and is concentrating on road racing his TZ's so we mix now in different circles. Jonesy and I will probably go halves in one. We'd want one up and running before the HBBB next Easter to get out dirt track tackle started without pushing the bloody things up and down the pits.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »
  I built a set of starter rolls a while back, they would probably be ok for road type tyres like those seen in the youtube videos but a complete failure with motocross tyres.  The smaller diameter roller gets stuck between the knobs and just spins without turning the wheel.  I will be increasing the drive roller size and figure out a speed reduction for it, the larger roller would make the wheel turn far to fast.  All when I get time.
   Can anyone on here post a photo of a set of starter rolls that will work with knobbly tyres.
                                                                                                                                     Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 10:02:09 pm »
This is a handy bearing removal kit/slide hammer kit I bought from Torpedo 7 (http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7TO4N0BL/title/torpedo7-blind-bearing---bushing-remover-set). I've only used it once, to remove the old bearings from my RT2MX engine and it worked a treat. Mine was on special for $69.99 a few months ago.

This cheap little gadget is handy for adjusting the back wheel accurately http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7TO4NNCA/title/torpedo7-chain-alignment-tool-for-moto

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2012, 10:10:27 pm »
Mark do you have picture of the chain aligning tool in action? Looks like one of those so simple but so effective gadgets. Cheers Tim754
 PS. Make a hook fitting for the slide hammer to remove stuck baffles.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:48 pm »
Mark do you have picture of the chain aligning tool in action? Looks like one of those so simple but so effective gadgets
Just for you Tim, I went searching eBay and found a photo. Basically, it clamps onto the sprocket with the pointer facing forward and you know when your wheels straight when the pointer is parrallel with the chain. Simple and a steal at $7.99....although you could make one out of a bit of scrap angle iron and an old coat hanger for nothing if that's the way you hang  ;).

Here's the expensive $25 but otherwise identical Motion Pro version in action..........

Here's the 80 buck lazer version but you can do it cheaper too by buying a lazer like I have in my earlier post, reply #51.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/36048856ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profi-D-CAT-Motorcycle-Chain-Alignment-Tool-Dot-Laser-Type-/150872819791?hash=item2320b8884f&item=150872819791&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:49:23 pm by firko »

Offline Cabmkr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:45 am »
A good VICE! I have done with out  a vice for about 5 years (since I moved) and thanks to watching the flyers they came on sale this week for about 60% off! Installed it and used it within an hour.....dont know how i did without it for so long.

Current rides/projects 75 MX125B, 75 TY250B, 75 Carabella Rally 175, 76 TT500 Ice bike, 78 IT400E 79 CB750F , 81 XS650H Street Tracker, 81 YZ250H X2, 93 DS80

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »
I'm not sure how the clutch setup works on the petrol starter (if indeed there is one) YZH. The button seems to be a FOOT throttle of sorts as in the electric version but I don't understand how it works. I think Lozza will walk through the door pretty soon to explain it to us nongs. ;)

It's connected to a 4T so I'd have no idea.  :D  9in grinder and rollers that go on the bottom of boat trailers seem to make half way decent starters(along with a normaly open switch) one thing is to stick them in 2nd or 3rd gear make life easier on the grinder.

I often wonder does anybody know the people behind Torpedo7 because finaly looks like a motorcycle accessories place has come to grips with the 21st century.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

I often wonder does anybody know the people behind Torpedo7 because finaly looks like a motorcycle accessories place has come to grips with the 21st century.

A Kiwi kid.
http://www.istart.com.au/index/HM20/PC0/PV210109/EX210128/AR212785

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 10:14:35 pm »
I was working afternoon shift in a place in the late 80’s and every other night I used to look through the steel bin. They used to throw out anything that was a metre long or shorter. They didn’t think it worth their while to store it as it often ends up in a big pile that no one can see what is actually there to be used.
I would often get good bits of angle, flat and RHS of various sizes that would be used for all manner of stuff. My current work bench’s and toolbox trolleys are mostly made from these offcuts.

One night I was looking in the bin and I spied a small steel box around 12” square and 5” deep.
Hmmm, that should come in handy for something I thought. Didn’t know what I was going to put in it but a steel box had to be handy for something.
I went to pull it out but quickly found I couldn’t budge it. I moved some of the other steel from around it but still couldn’t move it. The box must be full of something I thought so I got one of the other guys to help me lift it out. It was a struggle for the 2 of us to lift it out and once we sat it on the top edge of the steel bin we realised it wasn’t a box at all but a solid lump of steel.

This will be handy for something I still thought and we dropped in onto a trolley and wheeled it out to my Torana. We dropped it in the boot and it nearly fell through the rusted floor. I ended up carting it around for a week until my brother could help me lift it out.
It didn’t take long to realise that this solid lump of steel would make a good anvil, I devised a plan to build an elaborate and sturdy stand to sit it in but after 5 years or so my old man got sick of it sitting on the ground doing nothing so he threw together a stand for it out of one of the old car stands he had made.
It’s a handy thing to have and I still use it often.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »
Just when I was starting to think that I'd seen most of the tools, gadgets and gizmo's out there today, something comes along to force me to look a little closer. These slide hammers could be pretty useful I reckon. The YouTube vid gives a clear idea of how it works.

Toolco Inc presents !!!
                                 The Slammer Hammer

Please read the following before bidding

This is a must have tool for any handyman .  This tool extender slide hammer can be put onto your Vise grips . Just remove the existing adjusting bolt in the back of your vise grips and screw in the Slammer hammer.   Now you can quickly lock onto the task at hand to be pulled.

Just a few things it can be used for

nail puller
   body and dent puller
   flywheel puller
   cotton pin puller
   dowel pin puller
   moon key puller
  door hinges
  snowmobile track sliders   
   Just think of the all the the ways you could use this tool and your Vise grips . This is truly a handy tool to have around the shop or garage

We offer the slammer hammer in 4 different sizes

(MI) Mini for the 5" wr vise grips with a 1/4-20 tpi threads

(SM) Small for the 7" r vise grips with a 5/16-18 tpi threads

(LG) large for the 10" r vise grips with a 7/16-14 tpi threads

(HD) lg Heavy Duty for the 10" r with a heavier wight

The Slammer hammer is made of all steel construction with a removable aluminium  handle for tight spots all parts are made in are shop right here in northwestern Ohio NOT China

We always recommend using american made brand of vise grips with are slide hammer . We also recommend not using old or woren out vise grips . Also check out are web. site at www.toolcoonline.com  and for a short video on it go to this link at   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpNAVPsz7Y

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorcycle-repair-vise-grip-puller-tool-for-Irwin-vise-grips-size-LG-/271113085576?hash=item3f1f996288&vxp=mtr

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »
  I've had these Malco shears for years, you stick 'em in the chuck of your electricd or cordless drill and cut out whatever sheet aluminium you want. I made the side panels on my Cheney with this tool and used it this morning to cut out an alloy seat base for my Hindall. Handy as all shit.                                   

Description:
 The time-saving TURBOSHEAR Model No. TS1 inserts directly into the chuck of a standard 1200 rpm A/C or cordless drill. Its that easy to convert your power drill to a power shear! This rugged but inexpensive accessory cuts straight and to the left and is capable of navigating tight curved patterns and squares in heavy 20-gauge (1.02 mm) galvanized steel. Blind cuts require only a 1/2-Inch (12.7 mm) starting hole. Cutting applications include both ferrous and non-ferrous sheet metals, metal roofing/building panels, vinyl, steel mesh, ductwork, even the thick metal of furnace jackets, equipment enclosures or automotive body panels. An offset design keeps both hands away from work surface. Long-wearing hardened jaws are also replaceable. For premium performance without the premium price of a dedicated power shear, TURBOSHEAR is an easy addition to every tool box.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

Sorry. I misread the thread title.

I saw the word 'Tool' and this is what immediately came to mind.

My mistake. I will endeavour to do better next time...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:41:34 pm by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »
vmx42 you should have put the red head with the 38 double dee's up there as well ;D ;D

and forko wheres the link for the shears ??? ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »
I saw the word 'Tool' and this is what immediately came to mind. 
You won't find anything like that in my shed. ::) ::)