Author Topic: '81 KTM 250GS rebuild  (Read 17427 times)

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: '81 KTM 250GS rebuild
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 02:14:58 am »
G'Day Olddog and KTM brothers :-)

I want to focus on the trip

I am just about to bring home my 78 250 MC5 and like you this is a new era in my life. I road a 79 GS80 at Dungog on the old Forrest 300 tracks out of Frying pan creek in 79. Ride of my life and 34 years later I can't wait to ride one again.

In the early/late 70s I use to organise a bunch of friends to go touring on trail bikes. We also owned Honda 4s and stuff that we used for rallies and getting "Gunk". Actually I got Gunk at conondale and spent the night sleeping with Husky Central, My knickers were still where I left them the night before ;-) ........ I digress..... I guess these days we would be called Adventure riders.

The trick to such travel was simply to take your time. Cruse along at 60kmh, take all the back/dirt roads, and if you get bored there is always your mates kill button :-)

I must say as a regular on "orange crush" on ADV I have always wanted to do a scrap heap challenge on the real dirt bike. Thing is I have not found anyone silly enough....... anyone can do the challenge on a 350/4 but a KTM 250 Faaaaaak your keen :-) If you are looking for a third member to your group......... I'm keen, and live in Syd. South..... Sutherland. I'm also a friend of Adrian's......

Some photos of those old days.

Winter 79 crossing the Hunter Main trail on my Cooper 250. We carried the camping gear in-case we were be-night-ed by breakdown. You would freeze to death. We mostly spent the night in the Kandos Hotel, playing Pool and getting drunk ...... Gunk

After a seven day trip to Benambra Vic The best way to get Gunk is to poor Stones Greenginger wine into your beer :-0
Check out the Knee protection...... expansion joint building foam under a patch of denim glued on.... lol

So you guys of OSVMX............. Who is the 18 year old (1979), with "L" plates, standing in the middle, with his red RT3 Yam., on his first ride away with the boys ???????? He is/was a popular/ well known contributor to this forum
Actually that morning I deserted the boys to go chase some pussy we had met earlier on this trip............ I have a 34 y/o son as a souvenir... what a life............  ::)  Bloody trail bikes

My other KTM

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:33:20 am by Smithie »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 06:58:44 am »
Great bit of history there Smithie, love the old pics. Is the 3rd photo in the carpark behind the Kandos Hotel, that old shed looks familiar. They normally lock the bikes up there for the night. I did that trip to Kandos back in 94 up through Howes Valley and down the Hunter Main trail. We tried to do the Womerah on the way back through Heartbreak but instead we came down the old army trail and crossed the Colo River. What a trip, shame the greenies have stuffed up access, only 4WD tours allowed now through Womerah.
   Would love to hear some more of your experiences and yes getting drunk and playing pool at the Kandos Hotel is the norm. :)
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 11:50:58 am »

Hi Maicoman
You are spot on. We were never organized enough to book a room in advance at the Kandos Hotel, so when it was full she would but us on mattresses in the dining room. My best memory was on closing at 10 the local coppa walks in orders a beer, takes his tie off, and walks up to us and asks if we want a game. He left at 2am roaring drunk.

We were going away almost every 2nd week in winter and had a couple of destinations to choose from Wombeyan Caves was another. Even got into "Two Wheels" A guy on an 850 Ducati doing a story photographed us.

I'll paste part of our story

In the mid to late 70’s, I and a group of friends would do weekend trips away. Friday night the boys would ride over from Punchbowl to Balmain. It was important that we got away as a group on time together so as not to be caught out at night on the mountain crossing. For this reason we carried camping equipment even tho we intended to spend the night in a pub/hotel. If all bike preparation was up to scratch. We could disappear up to the pub for a few beers (200 meters away) I would put a chicken in the oven with potatoes, onion, carrots so that we would have a baked dinner when we got back. We would leave Balmain at about 6 am on our trail bikes, and we did our best not to disturb the neighbourhood. We would roll down the hill, clutch start and ride away. No warming up the motors. These were no compromise Knobbley tired dirt bikes. We traveled across the Gladesville Bridge, Hunters hill, Epping, Castle hill, Round corner and on to Wisemans ferry. We did this at about 60kmh which was painful enough on the little 2 strokes.

We would have our first cigarette while waiting for the Web’s creek ferry, and hit the dirt roads on the other side at speed. This is what our machines were designed to do. Sliding through corners, sideways on the brakes, lofting the front wheel at every opportunity.

We had a schedule to stick to if we were to drink, play pool, and sleep in the Kandos Hotel that night. (NB the order of importance?)

St Albans was the second stop. (Cigarette stop) We had to be there by 9am.

Here is another photo of that 18 y/o "L" plat-er

The bike I would choose for the Scrap-heap challenge would meet the criteria of cost as it cost me nothing. It was given to me  8)
Here is a photo of it....... Due to a work injury this was the last time I rode a bike period. Longest I have ever been off a bike. I put a hole in my ankle and have not been able to put boots on.......

I was sorry to miss this fantastic vinduro this year Maicoman, also missed Rockley, and missed Harrow
Photography by Mick at EBT

Maicoman
Your a man who loves to make great video's. I wonder if you could do anything with this........ It would be perfect with the old bikes. It is used in the series "Wallander" It can raise a tear.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJIoLA3CjgE&feature=related

Olddog

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
G'day Smithy, Mate you're more than welcome to join us, this little event usually attracts a large number of people riding inapproprite bikes and is a barrel of laughs. Thanks also for the pics, seeing stuff like that takes me back to my own misspent youth :) I'll be riding with a mate Pezz, he's the organiser and he'll be riding his CB400/4 which has been converted to a dirt bike..... the Beesa didn't work out. The plan is to take as much dirt as possible and we'll be just chilling out and having a sticky beak as we go.

My box of goodies from Horvaths has arrived so the engine will be going back together tomorrow when i get back home from holidays. Only things i think i need now is the shocks rebuilt, a piston (the old one looks great but I don't trust it) a kick start lever then I can try and get it to come to life. The wiring is a bit munched up but fingers crossed on that score.

Cheers all!

Bill

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 10:11:20 am »
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833326

Hi Bill

Thanks mate...... there is some background interest in this, we could end up with a couple of KTM's, and Huskys 76-81 good vintage bikes  ;) How good would that be......... How's my comment on the 350/4...... Pezz will ride a 400/4 (Red Face lol)

Just to get a rough idea on the trip

How much time do we have to get to Ford's Bridge? as a quick look at the map says starting vie Wisemans ferry dirt roads it could 3/4/5 days to get there. As organizer I would imagine Pezz would want to be there Thur/Fri.

Will you be riding back? Or trailer back

Do you plan to, on the way........ Camp, stay in pubs, or/and, have a support vehicle?

It dose not matter to me how we do it I'm easy  8)

What rego are you planning?

With that wiring the only thing you need is an inch of each wire coming out of the motoplate. the rest is easy..... couple hours work. You should have power for ignition, lights, and brake light. When I do mine I just run straight to the bulbs with just a brake light switch. The lights run all the time. To have high beam just change the spade connector. I happy to come over an help with this if you want.

Smithie

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »
Rory,

Your getting me keen to have one of my Kato's rego'd and ready for the ride!! Would be a great adventure, come on Billy C/Dennis, this should be fun trip.

We just need some plans on the route for fuel stops to work out if we need a support vehicle, for fuel that is ;)

As you mentioned to me elsewhere, the rego part can be done.

mmmm........now will it be the 495, or the 250........Big tank, lights, camera action.
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 10:53:56 pm »
Adventure................ An eighteen year old Rob Shoemark (Shoey 61) crossing a swollen Kowmung River not far from Kanangra walls........Circa 1979   :o

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:58:29 pm by Smithie »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:20 am »
Thanks Smithie (Rory) for endulging us with those old pics once again. When I saw that pic with you on the Husky the penny dropped. I met you at Cookardinia Vinduro last year. You did miss some fantastic vinduro's last year but never fear 2013 is nearly here and it looks like another great year of events.
  I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Husky ready for action after an 18mth absence from service. I've got some old pics of Heartbreak from the late 70's that I found on a 4WD forum and some current pics also. I plan on doing another ride that way in the future perhaps to the halfway house and back as a day trip. I've got all the maps of the area as it's been 20 years since I'd last done that run.

Olddog

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 11:09:48 am »
Gents, I have a few plans already afoot :)
Support vehicle wise, THE DOMESTIC AUTHORITY will be following along in the Patrol with the trailer hitched on the back, so we have room for fuel and spares and I'll be packing tools as usual.
Time frame wise I'm planning to leave Mudgee on the Thursday. Pezz and I are planning to do a casual ride and have a bit of a sticky beak as we go, not planning to have an organised ride or anything like that......which means if you bring the 495 Adrian you'll probably be doing a lot of waiting around  ;D
Route wise at this stage its pretty loose. I want to use as much gravel as possible as I've mentioned, so this morning I'll break out Google earth and see whats available. The plan is to stay at pubs on the way.

A couple of things to note, theres good camping at Comeroo where we're heading but be sure to book in prior, and you should also log into the Downs Syndrome website and register.

Ummm just one thing though this thread isn't an advert for the ride and I don't want to get anyone p#$$ed off about that sort of stuff if it isn't appropriate here, if it out of line please let me know.

Now back to the bike content, I noticed in one of your replies that you suggested i was not all there Smithie? Heres a pic of a little device i built a few years ago which pretty much proves that (taken during the inaugral Scrapheap ride)

The Ducati...not the Postie! Yep that there is a 900 Ducati monster turned into a dirt bike, complete with Vee Two 944 race motor....its a wicked handling son of a bitch :)

Oh and Smithie, forgot to mention, rego wise I'm going to put it on classic rego, just gotta join a bike club to get it done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:15:53 pm by Olddog »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

So is that Shoey with the 'L' plates?  :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:22 am »

So is that Shoey with the 'L' plates?  :D

Yep  ;D 

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:04 am »
I noticed in one of your replies that you suggested i was not all there Smithie? Heres a pic of a little device i built a few years ago which pretty much proves that (taken during the inaugral Scrapheap ride)
The Ducati...not the Postie! Yep that there is a 900 Ducati monster turned into a dirt bike, complete with Vee Two 944 race motor....its a wicked handling son of a bitch :)

Oh and Smithie, forgot to mention, rego wise I'm going to put it on classic rego, just gotta join a bike club to get it done.

I realise this is a bit "off topic" but feel there's enough "content" to be entertaining. Not the usual Yada Yada waffel  ::)

It reminds me of the expression "Takes one..... to know one" ......Your as mad as me. I too seek to build the perfect outback tourer. Love the Duke dirt bike. It looks well balanced for the job. There is nothing like 900cc on a dirt road ;D. I don't like the balance on my KTM LC8. It carries to much weight over the front wheel for normal speed bull dust work. I have 3 setts of wheels for mine. Knobblies, touring, and Super motard 17's. We had planed a 7 day north of Broken Hill, but it was too wet last year. I have been busy changing the weight balance. Still got 48lt including the rear tanks.

My 950 runs Super Duke cams, Keihin FCRs, and single front 320mm Motard disk. The oil tank has been moved to under the seat, and runs a ram air to an air box mounted in the tank. I copied a pair of Africa Twin extractors. I'm also taking advantage of a modern LiPo battery

Just one thing about NSW Club "Historic" rego. This club has to have an official club organised run to go to the Scrapheap challenge. I don't think you can use this rego to go when, and where you feel like. It is well described by this Toyota club, Its the same for all categories. http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/historic-registration-info-details/44327-historic-rego-details.html

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 11:13:21 am »
Historic reg in VIC is different. The vehicle can be used at any time, not just for an organised run (that used to be the case here too with the previous system). Just fill in the log book and off you go!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Smithie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
Historic reg in VIC is different. The vehicle can be used at any time, not just for an organised run (that used to be the case here too with the previous system). Just fill in the log book and off you go!

I love your Vic system Mr Canam370.

I was thinking to visit Mr Drakeford at Castella to get a red plate, but it's legality in NSW is debatable. Here is a link to what has passed in NSW but don't hold your breath........ I posted this in July 2010  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642758

At the moment I think I will get a different bike registered every year. That way I can enjoy the benefit's of full reg. If a bike is over 15 or 18y/o?? and is roadworthy you can get it registered in NSW without a compliance plate. You do need a blue slip tho, and it will cost.... I have let the Rego on my modern GasGas run out so this year I will do the Husky for this trip, and the rest of the year...... maybe do that Hartbreak ride with Maicoman if he wants to organise it, Harrow and so on. You Lucky Victorians  :P

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Husky ready for action after an 18mth absence from service. I've got some old pics of Heartbreak from the late 70's that I found on a 4WD forum and some current pics also. I plan on doing another ride that way in the future perhaps to the halfway house and back as a day trip. I've got all the maps of the area as it's been 20 years since I'd last done that run.

Mmmmmm That ride sounds great you know I think the Half way house is still burnt down, so fuel might have to be organised beforehand. From Hartbreak you could go in to Putty and past "three ways", and Kings cross, and come out of the Commission rd a couple Km's north of the Halfway house You could then go down the Boree track and back to the cars vie St Albans

St Albans 1976

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:02 am »
Awesome pic Smithie, love the riding outfits :) The halfway house cafe has been rebuilt but not in the same spot since the fire. I think it's now called The Blue Gum cafe. My memory is a little sketchy as I'd only done the ride once and was playing follow the leader.
  I've just dug some of my topographic maps out to have a look. I'm still a bit confused and there a few maps that I still need but it looks like we got on at St Albans went through Jack's track which runs to the Womerah all the way to the Putty road/Halfway House. Then we got onto Kindarun Trail which runs into Howes Valley trail, up to 3ways and down the Hunter main trail to Kandos.
  I'll have to pick your brains at the next Vinduro.