Author Topic: YZ360a on Swapmeet  (Read 3523 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
YZ360a on Swapmeet
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »
Here's one for the Yamaha tragics. Although the numbers don't match it seems a pretty good, unmolested example of one of the sports Holy Grail bikes.

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=25bcerJKxpAvyp7J

FOR SALE
                                                                               Ad # 3204651 November 4, 2012

1974 Yamaha YZ 360A. E 432-000619 F 431-001397

Price $8,500.

Bike is in really pretty good shape. This is not a restoration but I had preserved it intact with the intent to make it easier for me to build a 74 YZ 360 A race bike for vintage racing when I was ready for it but have not gotten around to making one in 15 years so it's time to move this on. Bike starts and shifts through all gears fine. May need some carb adjustment as it loads up a little in the low RPM before cleaning out in 3-5th. Maybe a different pilot. Front wheel will come of the ground in 3rd and 4th so it's got plenty of oomph..

If any items had needed replacement I've tried to change things out as the opportunity arose but as parts are very difficult to find there are a couple of items that should still be replaced prior to taking this racing. I'll describe the bike and try to mention what items I think still need replacing for a race ready bike..

Cosmetics- Repainted and re-decaled front and rear fender with new reproduction sideplates. The front fender is actually a NOS/OEM front 322 fender correct for this bike but the previous owner decided to stripe it with a pinstripe kit that is not exact enough for a show fender hence it is now a race fender but it looks great. They are in pretty nice shape and you may feel hesitant to race with them though. I redid the rear fencer and got a bit carried away with the rear stripe and went to the edge which looks fine but is not correct. Front number plate is aftermarket but correct.

Tank- Race tank. Repaired and repainted w/ aftermarket decals. 7+ of 10 for a race tank. Paint is great and only had minor imperfections. due to poor paint prep. Straps are good. Doesn't leak. Protection Pads aftermarket.

Controls- Original Bars were painted black. Not bent as I recall. New NOS/OEM grey brake cable, Nice used grey clutch cable and black throttle cable in good shape. Kill switch is OEM though the rubber is a bit stiff. Levers and perches are race acceptable. Grips are Scotts.

Motor- Original 432 motor on new standard bore. Probably one of the last made. I don't think they made many more. Engine Bridge was placed in Cylinder in exhaust port as they usually did back then to keep rings from hanging up. Tolerance is extremely close and bike has bunches of compression and will try and bite you if you don't kick this over with authority.

When I got this motor the engine cylinder was frozen on the cases and the fool who tried to dissasemble but wasn't able to so he likely beat on it with a mallet to no avail. (Which is probably why he let it go..) I properly was able to separate head from cases but had to repair some damage to the left side case from the beating it took. The repair work was completed and came out great however I did not have it magnafluxed to verify it had no other unseen flaws. As a result I've wanted to get another left side case and replace this one before completing the race restoration. As 432 left cases are a bit difficult to find and rare I didn't want to take much a a chance racing it and I've not yet swapped it out. It is not showing any problems since assembly and pulling it out of my garage and running it around the neighborhood but not sure I'd trust losing that 432 serial numbered case to the race track wear and tear as 432 marked cases are a bit rare..

Suspension- Nice thermoflows on the back with no chain rash on the fins. They are really nice, good chrome and still have dampening. Of course they should be replaced with modern Ohlins, works or progressives for racing. Front forks were air shocks and I'd not decided what to do yet for them for racing. If you want air fronts then you'll need new valves. If you want to go back to springs then you'll need to get new internals. In any event the fronts need rebuild attention.

Seat- New Race seat- New Cover, Very dense race seat foam as you shouldn't be sitting down on it anyway while racing much. New repro. base. Nice looking.

Wheels- Good race wheels. Not museum pieces. Straight. 431 prefixed rear rim and a 509 front rim. Pretty new front tire. Needs a new rear tire.

Frame- frame is in really good shape. Had originally been laid down shock system but was restored to original set-up location by one of the best welders in Southern CA. Unless you know what to look for and look close you'll never know it was repaired as the original lugs and shock mounts were on the cross members and reused. It's pretty clean and rebuilt with better than factory welds. There was also a lower motor mount that was repaired and should hold up ok..

Intake- Carburetor may need some rejetting but it was cleaned. It may be a little fat so set it up the way you want. Airbox is the original but has a period modification to let more air in. Essentially they shortened it. Needs an air filter.

Pipe- Nice condition original OEM pipe. Solid all the way around. Some repairs in head pipe area but it's a good race pipe. I was considering a circle F pipe as a replacement but this would work fine.

Please feel free to call with questions. Might consider partial trades. Looking for a 1960 Parilla Wildcat Scrambler.
     Chris Oberender
Ventura County, CA
Phone: (805) 791-4819 | Email
Registered Since 1/20/2012 | 1 Post
Accepts: Cash, Money Order, Pay Pal

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: YZ360a on Swapmeet
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »
I know where there is a couple of Parilla wildcat's in Sydney. I don't think I'll have much luck persuading the owner to give em' up though!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »
I know where there is a couple of Parilla wildcat's in Sydney. I don't think I'll have much luck persuading the owner to give em' up though!
I knocked back a '66 Parilla Wildcat for $400 at the Holister California Vintage Races swapmeet back in 1997. The bike was a bit of an old war veteran covered in 20 years of desert racing patina but it was all there. The seller even started it up for me but my eyes were on a Cheney Greeves that in the end slipped out of my hands as well (long story) so I went home with nothing but a rough Bultaco M11 roller. I feel sad evert time I think of that little Parilla (and the bloody Cheney/Greeves).

Parilla 250cc Wildcat Scrambler - 1962
Most serious Italian motorcycle collectors will concede that Parilla has become somewhat of a “Cult” collector bike for those who appreciate one of the most beautiful engines ever designed. The Wildcat is a “high cam” 250cc hot rod that came with the high performance road race engine that was used in the very expensive Grand Sports model. Parilla’s are considered much rarer than their competitor – Ducati.

Only a handful of the Wildcat Scramblers were imported in America by the U.S. importer Cosmopolitan Motors in Pennsylvania and were ridden primarily in scrambles events if they were raced at all. Note the quick detachable hand-formed tank, the beautiful suede seat, and the unique painted fenders. The “high cam” engine is fueled by a remote float Dellorto carburetor and exhaust utilizes a reverse cone megaphone. Performance four-stroke all the way!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »
A lotta money for a bitza with lots missing....worth probably half what he's asking in todays climate.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:02:25 pm »
Gee Firko, thats a pretty little thing, no wonder you wake up in the night with cold sweats....looks like a true gentlemens scrambler  8)

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »
Firko, think of all the years you could of had trying to source parts for the wildcat, probably harder than trying to source a set of un-cracked cases and a centre port barrel with no missing fins for the 11!

Having said that, the Parilla wildcat will be ready for vmx next year. I'm hoping to get enough pre 65's to get a class going for next years Penrith club rounds!! 3 bike and you have a class right?? Any nominations????? Anyone??????

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:18 pm »
Any nominations?? Anyone???
Jonesy's indicated that he intends to cut some laps on Betty next year and Frank Stanborough's currently hotting the shitter out of his Matchy G80. Although they'll probably not both be ready for next year, my Metisse Maico 360 and TriBSA are both intended for duty.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »
The yamaha guy knows his stuff its a prity well thought out and answers most of the questions if you had if buying one.
Refering back to the other post re rip off.  If you read this guys pitch you know everthing that good bad or ugely with it, some most wouldnt even think to ask even if they knew.
Its expensive kit ( prolly worth more like $6-7K ) but riding a 360A is the best you wont go back, i can't ride my to its potential, but its such a nice bike to just ride at any skill level with plenty of fast usuable power at all revs.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
Here is a pretty good deal on one at Marks for $450

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=4gBYCVAg8TyyHUx9&w=5

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:47:55 pm »
Here is a pretty good deal on one at Marks for $450
It's a really clean bike and it's priced at $1000 below retail.....worth a punt.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »
MauriceR, the only thing similar between a YZ360A and a MX360A is that Yamaha built them......one is very rare and built as a replica works bike, the other one is a crispy creme donut, you can buy them at any servo.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »
MauriceR, the only thing similar between a YZ360A and a MX360A is that Yamaha built them......one is very rare and built as a replica works bike, the other one is a crispy creme donut, you can buy them at any servo. 
Maybe so John but I didn't notice Maurice saying any different. All he did was bring a good cheap deal to our attention, nothing more, nothing less. The poor old MX model range has been copping shit for years but the bottom line is that they are amongst the best kept secrets in the sport. In my 24 years playing with vintage bikes I've witnessed more MX Yamahas at the pointy end of races than anything bar the Honda Elsinore. That's not saying that the MX is a better bike than the YZ...of course its not, but it was never intended to be. What it means is that many people have, over the last 25 years managed to turn common old Krispy Kreme MXs into very effective vintage race bikes. Knock a bit of weight out of it, remove the silly counter balance gizmo off the 360 and 500 and fit a decent set of shocks and forks and the humble Chrispy Kreme becomes quite a serious racer. So is the YZ360A but most of them live in glass cases, owned by punters not wanting to scratch up their delicate little "investment".

Your YZ snobbery is showing Joni ;D.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »
As much as I would love to own a YZa my MX 360 is just about bullet proof , ok its heavy compared to the YZ but at a all up cost including a GMC pipe of $1300 bang for dollar you cant go wrong with one . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club