Author Topic: Anyone else collect tanks?  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else collect tanks?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:03:45 pm »

Me wee three tonne tank, Do have a few SL100/125 tanks, nothing special,  but I do ask myself why I need 82 of them at times... ::)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:07:50 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:11:37 am »
John, you can't really call that a collection until you have at least one Hodaka tank in there.

I started a tank collection years ago for the same reason.  It's the main focal point of the bike and takes up less room.  Appreciate in value as well.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:06 am »
John, you can't really call that a collection until you have at least one Hodaka tank in there.

I started a tank collection years ago for the same reason.  It's the main focal point of the bike and takes up less room.  Appreciate in value as well.
Yeah you're right Bernie, i better find a Hodaka tank..
Do you remember when the Blutcher brothers had that whole Hodaka mounted up in the tree outside their place a few years ago?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:40 am »
must say im not a fan of tanks collectors, particularly when people take them of a salvageble bike, kinda rips the face of them.  :(

And when people are out there looking for tanks to get a bike or 2 up and runing and back on the track or complete and some clown has it hanging from the roof  .......   yeah like that will impress ya mates and if it does there clowns too.........

# exception to rule 1.....Spare tanks are ok IF you actually have that model bike in your posseion

Dislike button.............
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 10:50:49 am »
i better find a Hodaka tank..
Ray Ryan gave me a Hodaka tank a few years ago for me to turn it into a toaster for a tongue in cheek article for VMX. Unfortunately Ray died and so did the toaster project.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »
Ray Ryan gave me a Hodaka tank a few years ago for me to turn it into a toaster for a tongue in cheek article for VMX. Unfortunately Ray died and so did the toaster project.
That would've been cool Firko..

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 01:11:17 pm »
must say im not a fan of tanks collectors, particularly when people take them of a salvageble bike, kinda rips the face of them.  :(

And when people are out there looking for tanks to get a bike or 2 up and runing and back on the track or complete and some clown has it hanging from the roof  .......   yeah like that will impress ya mates and if it does there clowns too.........

# exception to rule 1.....Spare tanks are ok IF you actually have that model bike in your posseion

Dislike button.............
None of my tanks came off bikes that were complete or anywhere near it, it's no different to you buying a second hand barrel from someone!
Tanks are not hard to find there's plenty out there, if someone needs one then just look and you will find. Remember i'm not the one who stripped the bike and sold the tank.. so fork you freakster

TM BILL

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »

Firko whats the chance of having it up and running for CD 10  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »
Firko whats the chance of having it up and running for CD 10
Unfortunately Bill the tank's gone to another home and the donor toaster is currently in service in Casa del Firkos designer kitchen. I get a scary mental picture of us all standing around the Kevlar Kompound heater eating toast and vegemite. ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:52:05 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:24 pm »
Didn't Ray have a Hodaka Tank mail box at Kynton house? or was that Trent farlow?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 03:07:59 pm »
Didn't Ray have a Hodaka Tank mail box at Kynton house
Come to think of it, I think he might have :-\.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »

Yeah you're right Bernie, i better find a Hodaka tank..
Do you remember when the Blutcher brothers had that whole Hodaka mounted up in the tree outside their place a few years ago?

Yes, I got their phone number off their mother and was going to call them, but a father and son that bought a few bikes off me, asked where they could find a Hodaka.  I told them there was one hanging in a tree and passed the number onto them.  They ended up getting it for $200, I kicked myself because it turned out to be a Combat Wombat.  I think they restored it and have since sold it on.

Was that your  Maico 250 that was on ebay the other week?  I only noticed it because I've got a motor and pipe for the same year, a mate I haven't seen for twenty years has the rest of it, but as he isn't into old bikes I figure it's either at the tip or part of the earth.  Either way I don't feel like calling someone I haven't spoken to for twenty years just to ask about a rotting bike that I wont find the time to drive eight hours to get.

And no motorcycles were harmed in the collection of my tanks.  They were all orphan tanks found at swapmeets.  I fished an XT500 tank out of the scrap metal bin out the front of Bob Cowley's bike wreckers while he's standing there telling me  ''Äw no one wants that old stuff."  One of my tanks was lying on the ground at a swap meet with a 'Free for the taking' sign on it.  So most would of been destined for scrap if I didn't pick them up.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:37 pm »
Yeah that was my Maico, either you need it or i need the motor and pipe!
I looked at Billy and Bob's Hodaka back then and offered them $100, they said nah and put it up the tree instead!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »
 Ray Ryan's single Hodaka tank collection grew by well over 60 ,when he purchased my entire Hodaka 100 stock and spares ;)
I then started increasing my Honda SL100/125 collection by rescuing tanks from parts swap\sales or wrecks destined for scrap or worse fates so they may end up on running machines once more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:30:47 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
Geoff there's some life left in the old girl yet ! Just need some more patching

Ha, no time to fix my tank, too busy fixing everyone else’s tanks :D

I bought some Hodaka tanks and parts from Ray.
I have resold it now but I kept a tank to turn into a toaster.
So many projects,
So little time
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/