Author Topic: Importing parts over the $1000 threshold  (Read 1324 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Importing parts over the $1000 threshold
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:06:46 pm »
Sorry for asking this....it seems to be well covered, except for the paperwork issue.
Who's done it themselves and how hard is it really?
I want to buy a set of pipes - Cost to Oz $1700 and I'm expecting around $350 in Customs / GST charges, but still cheap.
My only real concern is the dealing with the formalities on this end.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Importing parts over the $1000 threshold
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »
its pretty easy, you buy and they ship, once arrive this end you will get a notification, by mail if i remember rightly, you then fill out the paper work as a personal import, pay the duty on it (i think i had to pay on-line) and send back all the paper work, box of parts arriives few days later, customs shiela was more than helpful, she also rang me back to say thanks for not being the usual dick-head on the phone about them taking money off us! It was about 2 years ago for me, was a cylinder head and some carbs, new carb, secondhand but ported head with new valves etc , cost me about $300 on top of the parts and shipping, i think the tax calculation is on the total price including shipping though, still pretty easey and not too expensive.

How's that?

Kt

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:08:54 pm »
$980.00 inc gst
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:01:00 pm »
$980.00 inc gst
What is?

What Freaky is subtly attempting to tell you is that you could/should declare the value at $980 incl GST so that you keep under the $1000 threshold.

I can neither confirm or deny that I, or anyone I know, have done such a thing before  ;)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:20:26 am »
Thanks all!
Paperwork sounds easy enough then.
Probably should have pushed for a less than $1000 disclosure amount....but couldn't bring myself to do that. ::)
I'll be happy with what it costs, still be a lot less than here. Only 2 Oz suppliers, ones away at present so wants even more to post and the other can't /won't return a message left on his mobile ?
So it doesn't sound like things are too bad in the Oz bike parts business anyway!