Author Topic: The mess NZ vmx is in?  (Read 8014 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
The mess NZ vmx is in?
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:48 pm »
Hi John, I thought I would open myself up to the full on-slaught of why you are saying NZ VMX is in a mess  ;)   ;D   ;D

Farrrk, if it stops all this BS, I have a YZ250B frame I may part with......geezus.....what a load of horse manure....DJ, you shouldnt be stirring the pot with the mess the NZ VMX scene your coming back to after 3 or 4 years fishing (I hope you put back all those undersize fish!!)....your pre 75 (sorry "Classic" ) class allows 75/76 models to race in it (and your mate who was the main sponsor of your Kiwi VMX series to run I think a 77 Maico AW400 against your legit pre 75 bikes and no one would say anything so he keep doing it year after year  ).....and you wonder why that class has almost disapeared....your pre78 class morfhs into your evo/twinshock and then you have pre 86.....what the?....even Murray Anderson says it should stop at pre85....there is a huge diference between 85/86 models....even TMBill agrees we have it pretty much sorted and you guys should get into line and follow the leader. We have a great scene over here which you have attended on occasion and it pretty much runs with alot of commonsence on the day...sure some peoples noses get put out of joint but we have a structured rule book that is pretty close to the mark and getting closer every year (and quite easy to read to see the do's and the dont's). Your lucky TMBill has eloped with the Italian Princess for the week but I'm sure he'll set you straight when he returns.  Now go and make Karen a nice cocoa....and make sure my 360B is covered up.

I dont believe that this is the case here and the reasons are many as to why we have our own style of VMX but the one main reason is pure and simple. Its numbers. We dont have 4,000,000 people to entice into vmx as you do in your state (not country). We have that number thoughout the whole of NZ and when it is cut in half by an expensive piece of water the numbers for each region decline dramatically. This is why we have slightly different rules and race programmes from yourselves.
And yes I have raced and ridden in Aust and have fully enjoyed the experience plus have had always tried my best to understand the way vmx is run over there and played by your rules.
Here, NZ, we combine some classes to create bigger numbers on the start line so the riders have more competition to race against and although it can affect some lovers of a certain era with different CC' rating bikes I feel that they are more happier to have better racing with all in CC's. This is the reason TMBill enjoys the racing so much in Aust because of the numbers in a certain era and being able to split them up into CC rating.
As for our "Classic" class which took over from our Pre75 class because numbers were getting small it now has increased in numbers and for the most part the bikes are pre75. The bike in question that you mention I believe will not be racing in that class anymore and the last time I was at a vmx meeting the start line for our 'Classic' class looked very good with all bikes looking as a pre75 class should look.
Most welcome to try to answer any more questions from you or anyone else that has queries into how we do it here in NZ
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The mess NZ vmx is in?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:33 am »
You're correct in saying that bike/rider is highly unlikely to be doing any more rounds, sounds like no more long distance elsinore riders either so numbers in the classic class will be at best the same as last year

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:52 am »
DJ,
The world could learn a lot from Kiwi VMX.

You guys put on great events, on great tracks that allow everybody to get out onto the track and enjoy themselves - all with a casual and inviting atmosphere.

IMHO you guys have the right balance between trying to maintain the integrity of various eras, while not getting your nickers in a knot when minor eligibility issues raise their ugly heads at an event.

Sure the era Nazis would have an apoplexy at these heinous crimes, but they are not concerned with putting smiles on the faces of the punters who show up.

Keep up the good work and don't let Joan's insistence at 'picking at scabs' get to you... if it's not you it will be somebody else!!!  ;)

Good to have you back stirring the pot...
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:31 am »
DJ,

You guys put on great events, on great tracks that allow everybody to get out onto the track and enjoy themselves - all with a casual and inviting atmosphere.

IMHO you guys have the right balance between trying to maintain the integrity of various eras, while not getting your nickers in a knot when minor eligibility issues raise their ugly heads at an event.

Sure the era Nazis would have an apoplexy at these heinous crimes, but they are not concerned with putting smiles on the faces of the punters who show up.

Keep up the good work and don't let Joan's insistence at 'picking at scabs' get to you... if it's not you it will be somebody else!!!  ;)

Good to have you back stirring the pot...
VMX42
AMEN!!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:33 am »
. DJ,

??? They do, but it happens here in australia. Isn't that one of the draw cards of what we do?
The only place where there may be some small shit fight is at a national title or right here, normally instigated or fuelled by key board racers that hardly if ever throw a leg over a bike and actually go to a meeting.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:58 am »
Brad,
I wasn't having a go at Oz VMX in any way, my comments were purely aimed at the question posed by DJ in this thread.

NZ have their own unique way of putting on VMX events. It works for them and that is all I said... all the rest is in your imagination.  ;D

Complimenting somebody is not the same as having a go at somebody else. Viva la difference!!!

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:24 am »
You said the rest of the world could learn from them. I'm in the rest of the world. What could we learn?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
You could learn to let it go... [and the rest of the world isn't just Australia - FYI]

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:11:47 am »
One thing that I reckon would work in New Zealand is a Classic Dirt style event. With your lack of overly restrictive government legislation and a very keen VMX base, it'd have to work. I'm positive you'd get support from both islands and Australia. I've been discussing this with my Kiwi mates for years and they all seem to think it'd work....all that's needed is a venue and someone with enough chutzpah to make it happen.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:59 am »
One thing that I reckon would work in New Zealand is a Classic Dirt style event. With your lack of overly restrictive government legislation and a very keen VMX base, it'd have to work. I'm positive you'd get support from both islands and Australia. I've been discussing this with my Kiwi mates for years and they all seem to think it'd work....all that's needed is a venue and someone with enough chutzpah to make it happen.

+1

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:18 am »
You could learn to let it go... [and the rest of the world isn't just Australia - FYI]
well that clears up that misconception then.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:23 am »

No Brad, it just means I gave a simple, singular opinion… no ulterior motives, no malice, no hidden messages, no satanic verses or veiled insults… just a simple opinion.

But it is true that I don't want to waste hours justifying every word after having it forensically dissected and misinterpreted… because again, it was just a simple opinion.

As simple opinion from a simple man! Nothing more, nothing less.  :)

Love your work Brad,
VMX42

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:29 am »
As for our "Classic" class which took over from our Pre75 class because numbers were getting small it now has increased in numbers and for the most part the bikes are pre75. The bike in question that you mention I believe will not be racing in that class anymore and the last time I was at a vmx meeting the start line for our 'Classic' class looked very good with all bikes looking as a pre75 class should look.

No mess,looks like preserving an era's working out   8)  :P
Best is in the West !!

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:18 pm »

Bill and I have discussed this many times. our problem is our weather and the lack of a camping type attitude of alot of people. Athough the last CD I went to at connandale was wet it was the exception of OZ weather not the rule . the opposite applys here.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:36:34 pm »

No Brad, it just means I gave a simple, singular opinion… no ulterior motives, no malice, no hidden messages, no satanic verses or veiled insults… just a simple opinion.

But it is true that I don't want to waste hours justifying every word after having it forensically dissected and misinterpreted… because again, it was just a simple opinion.

As simple opinion from a simple man! Nothing more, nothing less.  :)

Love your work Brad,
VMX42
okay a simple question. In what way can the rest of the world do what the kiwis do so well ? Specifically.