Author Topic: What's legal ?  (Read 22738 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What's legal ?
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »
. Brad, that's a bit rich since I could say the same for you  and it was me who said that it is an Evo bike   
You could seeing I would let the bike slide if it was in pre 78 being a rule nazi and all  ;D But I think that is the lesser of two evils as it is clearly a 75 model bike in my eyes. Re Evo I was merely agreeing with you by the rule book.
The real issue is not just a 75 framed bike. It is the big picture of ( to steal Johns words) bracket creeping and Dutch twin shock syndrome.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Firko/DJR - so if I remove the suspension limiter in my YZ360B I can't ride it?  Just a question - like seeing SOME of the common sense that comes out of these threads.  Or does it mean I can ride pre 78?
Rossco, I reckon you can ride it in pre 78 but apparently* the rulebook says you can't.
* Because I'm not licenced any more I don't get my yearly yearbook allocation so I rely on my old 2009 version. If pre '75 bikes aren't allowed in pre '78 if they don't qualify for pre '75 for whatever reason, I reckon the rulemakers have got it wrong. Every bike should have a place to go and Evo isn't the place for a 1974 motorcycle.  That place should be the next class up the food chain...pre '78.
I have a current licence but for some reason I only have 2011 version which says - built upto and including 75/76/77model year ??

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »
Firko/DJR - so if I remove the suspension limiter in my YZ360B I can't ride it?  Just a question - like seeing SOME of the common sense that comes out of these threads.  Or does it mean I can ride pre 78?

:D

Rossco, I reckon you can ride it ip pre 78 but apparently* the rulebook says you can't.
* Because I'm not licenced any more I don't get my yearly yearbook allocation so I

Rossco I think that's a great question since the YZB is regarded as a "follow on" model (follow on from what I'm not sure  ;D ) but as I read it if you didn't have the limiter in your rear shock you wouldn't be allowed to race it in pre75

18.5.4.2  Front wheel travel will not exceed 178mm (7 inches) rear wheel travel will be limited to 102mm (4 inches) measured at the axle. Rear shock absorbers will be in the original position using the original mounting points.

18.5.4.9  Acceptable follow on models pre 75
a) honda CR125M1, xL250K1,
xL350K1, MT250 and MT125,
b) Yamaha YZ360B, DT250B,
c) Suzuki TS400 (all).

Make of that what you will but I would assume that you could ride pre78 if you didn't have a limiter in your shock because the bike has a dispensation allowing it to race in pre75 if the shock is limited so therefore if you had a second rear shock with a limiter in it does that mean you have one bike for two classes with the simple change of a shock?

The rule book
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=142

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
Ok gents I also have a E model dt trail bike less motor mmm no rule book . play bike for trail riding thats the go . I only floated the idea to see where such a hybid would fit (no where if one goes by the rules except evo ) there again CD10 is not far away .
Now look here Iain, your getting a bit pushy I think with this one because we haven't finished arguing about you first question  ;D   ;D   ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »
From page 167 of the 2012 book:

18.5.5 Acceptable Machines and Components - Pre 78.
18.5.5.1 Acceptable for the pre 78 class are machines and components that are limited to the 1975, 1976, 1977 models alone. The only exception to this rule is where the model remains unaltered after this date.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »
So in 1977 there was no one still pedalling around on a 74 model?

we're talking mx'ers here, they were lined up 5 deep at the dealership to get the latest cutting edge model when it came out. Every outdated bike was pushed into the shed where it remained until we came along to resurrect them. This explains why every old bike that gets dragged back into the daylight looks like it's only done one season of racing  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:31:29 pm by mainline »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »
. Brad, that's a bit rich since I could say the same for you  and it was me who said that it is an Evo bike   
You could seeing I would let the bike slide if it was in pre 78 being a rule nazi and all  ;D But I think that is the lesser of two evils as it is clearly a 75 model bike in my eyes. Re Evo I was merely agreeing with you by the rule book.
The real issue is not just a 75 framed bike. It is the big picture of ( to steal Johns words) bracket creeping and Dutch twin shock syndrome.

I think we would all let it slide Brad (I wish Iain had a YZB frame to go with his idea) and bracket creeping may happen (I hope not) but it is the way of the world but the "Dutch twin shock syndrome" I don't believe will happen here in the Southern Hemisphere apart from the odd special twinshocker getting a newer (read bigger CC) model engine. I only know of one here and that's along way from being complete.

Rossco, I reckon you can ride it in pre 78 but apparently* the rulebook says you can't.
* Because I'm not licenced any more I don't get my yearly yearbook allocation so I rely on my old 2009 version. If pre '75 bikes aren't allowed in pre '78 if they don't qualify for pre '75 for whatever reason, I reckon the rulemakers have got it wrong. Every bike should have a place to go and Evo isn't the place for a 1974 motorcycle.  That place should be the next class up the food chain...pre '78.

Completely agree Firko.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:27:41 pm by DJRacing »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »
Is that all settled now boyos?......I'm now moving over to the 'Which Bike Should we Hoard for Amageddon' thread for some light relief.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
Farrrk, if it stops all this BS, I have a YZ250B frame I may part with......geezus.....what a load of horse manure....DJ, you shouldnt be stirring the pot with the mess the NZ VMX scene your coming back to after 3 or 4 years fishing (I hope you put back all those undersize fish!!)....your pre 75 (sorry "Classic" ) class allows 75/76 models to race in it (and your mate who was the main sponsor of your Kiwi VMX series to run I think a 77 Maico AW400 against your legit pre 75 bikes and no one would say anything so he keep doing it year after year  ???).....and you wonder why that class has almost disapeared....your pre78 class morfhs into your evo/twinshock and then you have pre 86.....what the?....even Murray Anderson says it should stop at pre85....there is a huge diference between 85/86 models....even TMBill agrees we have it pretty much sorted and you guys should get into line and follow the leader. We have a great scene over here which you have attended on occasion and it pretty much runs with alot of commonsence on the day...sure some peoples noses get put out of joint but we have a structured rule book that is pretty close to the mark and getting closer every year (and quite easy to read to see the do's and the dont's). Your lucky TMBill has eloped with the Italian Princess for the week but I'm sure he'll set you straight when he returns. ;D Now go and make Karen a nice cocoa....and make sure my 360B is covered up. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Curly3

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:41 pm »
Mocking a serious topic like Beyond Blue is disgracefull but I'm not surprised.
Let's just hope the black dog doesn't bite you.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:05 pm »
I'm sure Vwalter will remove it Slides...as he always does.....it is very insulting.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Curly3

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:47 pm »
You keep digging your hole Wally, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »
Look I took your advice and read the story about the girl that took her life because her forkseals where leaking . That is sad . Very sad .
Not funny

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 04:22:12 am »
Farrrk, if it stops all this BS, I have a YZ250B frame I may part with......geezus.....what a load of horse manure....DJ, you shouldnt be stirring the pot with the mess the NZ VMX scene your coming back to after 3 or 4 years fishing (I hope you put back all those undersize fish!!)....your pre 75 (sorry "Classic" ) class allows 75/76 models to race in it (and your mate who was the main sponsor of your Kiwi VMX series to run I think a 77 Maico AW400 against your legit pre 75 bikes and no one would say anything so he keep doing it year after year  ???)
The bike you're talking about there is a 74.5 GP440 not his AW400, had a ride on both bikes a couple of weeks ago & the AW would actually be a handicap. Now that I've ridden the GP I can see some of the reason he's so quick, that bike is very well set up
I agree that NZ pre75 actually isn't, as you say there are a few slightly later bikes in there, 1 Falta framed CZ250 but I can't say which others aren't pre75 without getting a headache.
The open title was won by a bike running piggyback ohlins a couple of years ago & the bighorn runs a modern pipe just like the americans do but I can't see anything happening about things like that as that would just be removing numbers from the grid

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 06:12:26 am »
I think Davey is referring to the fact that the 74.5 runs very long suspension and actually looks like one of their pre 78 models as do a few of the classic bikes running in the class. it would not fit the description for their rules, however they are our rules not theirs and you will always run a race bike to the edge of the rules if you are a racer, if you are a collector / race then you bike will be era specific and correct.
 I have raced both sides of the Tasman , from a purest racing point of view ( sheep stations and all that) OZ have it right, firm rules, big tracks ,massive organization , licensing etc .
For relaxed racing and run what ya brung then the Kiwi scene is very  good. Most of the classes sort themselves out and I dont think the OZ approach would necessarily work here most of our riders a way too laid back to get into the crap it can throw up .
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT