Author Topic: Too much BLING??  (Read 23753 times)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Too much BLING??
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
heres a photo from late april of my current race bike

too much bling its not possible
MUGEN power

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 05:38:08 pm »
I'm sure you'll get some interesting comments once everyone has finished projectile vomating  ;D ;D ::) ::)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:50 pm »
Caps, I dont know, but I thought bling was another word for cool. Ya gotta lose the tyres, ya cant be leaving red marks on the concrete if ya do a burn out, it just aint right. ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 06:07:15 pm »
Now tell me you didn't pay for those tyre's .... sticker on bike says it all ;D

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »
Yep. That CRF cuts to the core of the arguement about "too much BLING?"   :o

Where's that Blingmeter when I need it? ::)

Each to their own I guess... ;)

Anthony.522

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 06:36:52 pm »
Thats my bike  ;D  I like doing a new graphics kit each year, after a year of racing they are usually scuffed and cut up and look shit. I've got some awesome people helping me out so i like putting there logo's on it as a thank you, it tends to get quiet a few looks and if i can get there business name in someones head and to use there services/product awesome!! Anything else i put on the bike like the triple clamps was to make it handle better and it did that, they are awesome. I've got some radiator braces which i think are a must. The only thing if i wouldnt put on again if i was to do it again would be the exhaust....really really doesnt need it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 06:37:33 pm »
Sorry Ajay,
You gotta remember you were young once too.

I seem to remember a young man on a BMX bike with hand painted rims and spokes… [and much, much more including coloured tires].

But of course in my memory I was the master of all things stylish!!!! In fact everything has a strange, almost 'rose coloured' hue… [but at least I never put playing cards in my spokes].

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Rosco400

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 07:28:03 pm »
I wonder if you can still get them streamers that come out the end of your grips, you know, the ones that you had on your dragster, how cool would that be at scrutineering ;D

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 07:42:51 pm »
VMX42, 

Your memory is indeed playing slight trick on you.  I did NOT hand paint the spokes.... ::)  I did have a bike with coloured brake cables, seat, spokes and tyres however.... :o 

It was very stylish don't you think?  8)

And no, I never put the playing card in the spokes either, for what it's worth ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 07:47:44 pm »
I have some really neat little flashing purple cap thingies that go on valve stems of pushbike tyres. I think they will look good on the Husky, flashing at all and sundry at the DT Nats!

My opinion on bling is a bit of an on the fence thing.  I agree it's all a bit academic as it doesn't really help the performance a lot of the time. Given how good most bikes are nowadays I'd be surprised if the average guy can make his bike go any better, or at least raise his performance on the track by much. I actually prefer the Shane Watts school of thought - turn up on a scrappy old stocker and blow them all away.

But... I do like the look of a bling bike. I don't necessarily think it's a better bike, but the whole exercise is almost an art form. In my humble opinion. I said it on the old forum, and I'll repeat it here. Some of the bikes I like to look at most in VMX mag are the ones that have been over-resto'd. That Maico of that Yank, who was he, JT Southern or someone? Mark Cotterel's RM125. Those sorts of things. Love em.

And I reckon Caps bike looks good too... EXCEPT for those tyres!!! I am too 'old school'. Tyres are black dammit!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 07:50:39 pm »
Oh! No, no, no my dear Ajay,
I am talking about your mighty Dragster with the 3 speed gears and the hand painted steel rims and spokes. I could never forget such a fine machine even after all these years [and it has been more than a few].

That Quicky does indeed offend the style police but the dragster was in a different class altogether.
Hopefully no photos have survived, I am not sure the OZVmxers would understand.

Back to you big guy.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »
I agree Graeme, Caps bike does look cool and he has done a nice job, but yep, its those tyres that blow it for me too. But maybe they are the fashion now so who am I to say anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:57:18 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 07:55:53 pm »
No, the spokes on the Dragster weren't painted (hand or otherwise)....but you are correct the rims were. ::)

and yes, there is a photo... ;D

I bet you hoped you'd never see that one again huh?

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 07:58:51 pm »
Now THAT is true style   :o

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 08:09:34 pm »
the tyres ant entirley my fault they were a new product at work being the only racer in staff i was told to test them ;D
MUGEN power