Author Topic: What causes this?  (Read 9642 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: What causes this?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:19 pm »
Only over exhaust port, 2 brand new cylinders and pistons,both lasted about 1 hr riding.
Standard jetting.
Holes drilled in piston. Getting hot there but why ?

as above check exhaust port clearance..sorry matcho mick try green herbal tea :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:36:05 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 12:05:00 am »
Steve,isn't that the 1st seizure,(i think,i'm getting a fugging headache  ???), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:31 pm »
I've got a shitload of kart pistons on the shelf in my shed with seize marks like that on the exhaust side.  From my bucket racing days.  It didn't stop 'til I started using a 22mm i.d. tail pipe on the chamber instead of the 18mm I was using before.

What kind of riding are you doing ?  Not dirt track by any chance ?  If you've got it nailed a fair bit, then any restriction in the exhaust will cause a heat build up-like the power valve for example......Or using the wrong muffler ??. 

I'd fix the power valve or just wire it open.  Clean up the piston with a smooth file so it doesn't look so horrid.  Use some acid on a toothbrush (not your best one !) to get the alloy off the bore-we used to use acid from the swimming pool supply shop I think. You'll need to get all the crud off that's above the exhaust port.  Clean up the ring-they are hard as hell and usually can take a pounding.  Unless the ring is scored scored then it'll still give you enough compression to run well enough.

It'll probably rattle pretty badly, but Wiseco pistons are tough and can handle a fair bit of clanking around.

Then get it out and cane it.  If it seizes again, you'll know it's got nothing to do with the power valve, or the piston-bore clearance.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Nitram

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »
The cylinder now

with matching piston
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:33:45 pm by evo550 »