Author Topic: CZ ignition timing  (Read 5372 times)

Stormer

CZ ignition timing
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:32 am »
What ignition timing would you use for a 360 CZ, it's running on one spark plug with a decomp valve in the other plug hole, and does it matter which plug hole the decomp vavle is in, front or rear.
Cheers Pat

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CZ ignition timing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:45 am »
run the spark in the rear.how have you got your coils wired
jim

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:40 am »
On my bikes I have a single plug head with the front hole blanked off and a dual plug head 360,so I guess if your going to use a decomp you'd put it on the front.From memory  points are barely opening (use a cigarette paper) with the X of the flywheel between the middle of the stator plate marks and piston at 3 to 3.2mm below TDC.Verify this with a manual as there are some steps I probably missed or my memory could be a bit rusty. :)

Stormer

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:04 am »
When I bought the bike only the rear plug was being used with the front plug hole blanked off, not sure how it is wired. my problem is when I accellerate from start the engine just dies almost like putting your hand over the carb intake, it is running rich but plug is not wet, new 34 mm mikuni carb fitted with 280 main jet.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:39 pm »
Hi,
Does the bike idle?
What size slide cutaway>
Does it have an air jet fitted?
what size needle jet/emulsion tube?
cheers

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
Dr Bamford is onto it.Sounds like the dual coil system has been changed to a single plug system,a lot less wiring and one less coil,so simpler.Don't bother with decomp unless you're really light.Airflow??a mate wanted to make his airbox watertight but also succeeded in making it airtight so the seat base actually closed off the top of the airbox restricting flow when the taps were opened.An earlier thread "need answers"oct 2011 delves into the sinister causes of lack of ponies such a s seal leaks etc.
The 34 should work on the 360 but check all internals maybe against the czmadness Mik spec sheet as 69 has suggested.

Stormer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »
Hi
Yes it idles ok
Needle jet Q6, Pilot jet 45, Slide 3.0, Needle 6GH2

Pat

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »
Needle is quite different to what I run & all the needles I've seen listed as being used by other people, the needle that comes in brand new mikunis seems to work well. Mine has a 6FJ6 in it with a Q5 needle jet but is a 36mm
34mm runs 6DH4 needle & Q2 needle jet. Remove the airjet if it's fitted

Stormer

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »
Thanks for all the info much appreciated, Tony if I remove the air jet would it cause too much air to enter and would I lose the idle.
Cheers Pat

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:30 pm »
Not totally sure on what effect the air jet has but all the jetting specs I've seen say to remove it for CZs

shakeyCZ

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »
Any word on what was wrong yet stormer?

Stormer

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:03:08 am »
Unable to test, but timing ok ' removed air jet, new air filter should be here this week,starts ok going to CRC this weekend fingers crossed will either ride or Marshall  ???

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:18 pm »
Hi,Pat,
If I can find time Sat morning, I'll Have a look at it with you,
Cheers
Noel

Stormer

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:51 pm »
Hi Noel
Thanks for the offer
Pat

Stormer

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
Just a quick update, seems by removing the air jet and changing the air filter it has fixed the problem the bike went very well all weekend at the C.R.C.meeting, once again thanks for all the useful info.
cheers Pat