Author Topic: You finally got to me Firko :-)  (Read 50035 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: You finally got to me Firko :-)
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2013, 09:45:32 am »
??? what is it about these bikes ;) :) :D ;D 8)
I think it's three things......The bikes place in dirt bike history, that beautiful little engine and last but not least, the hot rod factor. The aftermarket motocross accessory industry was formed on the DT1's need for improvement. You don't have to do too many laps on a stock DT1 to find that they're not designed to win races so that's where the fun in owning one come in. We can fit alloy rims, lightweight hubs, Betor or Ceriani forks, lower the frame cradle and lengthen the swingarm, port the livin' shit out of the barrel, fit a Webco or GYT head, change the pipe over to something that works, fit plastic Preston Petty 'guards, and hacksaw 20 lbs of weight out of it, each little mod improving the old bike one micro at a time. There are a myriad of period trick parts out there on eBay for comparatively little money and the old magazines are full of How-To articles on improving the bike. 

Back in 1992 I'd been racing my Maicos quite happily in the knowledge that I owned close to the best in the class when over a few bottles of red Geoff Eldridge came up with the 'challenge' of me building a racer out of leftover parts and he restoring an original bike with is creating an ADB magazine piece on both bikes transformation. Unfortunately GE was killed before he could start his project* but I built my racer, soon christened the 'DT1 from Hell' in honour of my friend. That bike was one of the most enjoyable builds I ever did because I let my imagination run wild. The only restriction I had was the rulebook. The bike went on to come second to Boagy in pre 70 at two Nats in a row and won a dirt track Nats....pretty good for a 500 buck hacksaw and Oxy welding special. I only mention the DT1 from Hell to raise the point that these old cut and shut DT1/RT1s bring out the Doctor Frankenstein mad hot rodder that lays dormant within many of us. They can be as cheap or expensive as you want then to be or as trick or stock as you like. The engine is one of the all time great dirt bike engines and can be modified to your hearts content and remain as reliable as a Kenworth diesel. While our conscience wouldn't allow us to hack up a Husky, CZ or Maico to build a pre 70 Frankenbike, we don't feel so bad modifying a DT1 or RT1.

* I ended up with the DT1 basket case that Geoff had bought to restore and 15 years after his death I finally completed the job. I still own it.

[
Bravo Firko  ;) :) :D ;D 8)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2013, 09:49:31 am »
cheers for that, the big lump that the jug sits on is the main missing part 
Are you looking for a piston port barrel? Unfortunately they're pretty scarce but they occasionally come up on USA eBay. I only have one spare that I need to keep but I can give you a reed barrel to get you going.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2013, 10:01:58 am »
cheers for that, the big lump that the jug sits on is the main missing part 
Are you looking for a piston port barrel? Unfortunately they're pretty scarce but they occasionally come up on USA eBay. I only have one spare that I need to keep but I can give you a reed barrel to get you going.
have got 2 barrels one is piston port other reed job, thank you for the offer Firko :) ;) its the big alloy lump under the barrels that is missing  :o

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2013, 11:24:21 am »
its the big alloy lump under the barrels that is missing
Oh....that little thing ::)

The RT1-MX would have to be one of the prettiest motocross bikes ever in my biased opinion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:26:47 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »
its the big alloy lump under the barrels that is missing
Oh....that little thing ::)

The RT1-MX would have to be one of the prettiest motocross bikes ever in my biased opinion.
Yep that's the one ;) except we haven't got the shiny bit with Yamaha written on it :-[ it is a hansome steed ;) indeed
say has anyone got a spare bottom end :P please ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »
i can lend you one pete
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
Hey ian do you have any decent crank haves for the 360 ? specially the the mag side ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »
i can lend you one pete
Thanx Freaks its ok, this build is a come as you are, so no problems, will happen when its time,  ;) 8)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2013, 03:45:28 pm »
Jay, from what I'm reading online, the AHRMA has voted down the Early Sportsman class. Where does that leave your RT1 project now? 

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:50 pm »
I was looking for the vote the other day and couldn't find it.  Early Sportsman Stock (ESS) has been an AHRMA regional class (Northern Cal and Oregon) the last few years and hopefully it will be run again in 2014.  I do not travel around to the AHRMA National MX events much anymore.  I was lucky enough to have won 2 AHRMA National Championships and the fire ($) just isn't there anymore. 

I was probably going to sell the RT-1 after racing it a few times anyway.  The RT2MX/YZ project is the only bike I want to build anyway.  I am only holding on to completed bikes that are ready to race with simple maintenance between events.  I'm keeping it simple and casual from here on out.
 ;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen