Author Topic: How Much Fork Oil for YZ400D?  (Read 1378 times)

Simo63

How Much Fork Oil for YZ400D?
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
I'm servicing the forks on my very original YZ400D and need to know how much oil in each leg please?

And is there a place (other than the manual maybe) that I can source this info without having to ask here all the time?

Cheers
Simo

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
Re: How Much Fork Oil for YZ400D?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Simo

I'm away in Victoria at the moment  and don't have access to some notes so I can't remember exactly but what ever the manual say plus 50mm for oil height to the top of the tubes. Springs out and forks collapsed of course. Best results I've had is with 20W oil. All this is on standard forks.

With other stuff like Walter said he will need more info.

There are a couple of sites in the states. Do a bit of googleing or pick up the phone to Walter.

Regards

Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
Simo you need to supply a bit more info , in order to help you . Your weight , springrate used , PD valves  or standard rods. With that info I can give you the right airgap .

Hmm okay that sounds fair.

My weight is 82kgs in my birthday suit  ;D  so 90kgs in my MX gear?  Other than that the forks are completely standard 1977 YZ400D forks.  I've only recently taken delivery of this low hour ex USA bike and I can tell you I'm almost certain I was the first person to ever remove the front wheel let alone the fork caps so I would suspect the forks are as standard as they come but I'm only guessing to be honest.

Does that help any?

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
Simo

I'm away in Victoria at the moment  and don't have access to some notes so I can't remember exactly but what ever the manual say plus 50mm for oil height to the top of the tubes. Springs out and forks collapsed of course. Best results I've had is with 20W oil. All this is on standard forks.

With other stuff like Walter said he will need more info.

There are a couple of sites in the states. Do a bit of googleing or pick up the phone to Walter.

Regards

Peter B

Thanks Pete.  I'll see what Walter can come up with and then go from there.  I intend to dismantle the forks in the near future just trying to partially set it up for this weekends racing at Coles Creek.

Cheers
Craig

Offline gwc162

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • WayCool VMX Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
Suzuki RM250d, PE 250 c, WRf250, Multistrada 1000s
Heaven #162