Author Topic: Club numbers  (Read 1750 times)

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
Club numbers
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
I want to get some number plate backgrounds printed for my bike,my club said that if someone else has the same number its first in best dressed and the other person has to change their number.Is this normal?Wouldnt it be easier to have a list of members with their numbers?This is how it has been with other competition Ive been involved with.I really dont want to have to take a chance and then change my number on the day,this seems crazy.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Club numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
If you get a senior nationals licence you can request a number from MA or your state body that you can use and nominate on your sub-regs on your entry. Normally this will sort out most problems with numbering.

Other wise keep a supply of white insulation tape handy. You will normally be able to get away with No: 1, 11, 111 at most meetings.
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »
Im really not into the insulation tape number look,so is this the way it is with all clubs in vmx?With speedway sedans/karts etc you just ring up and find out if the number you want is available.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
,so is this the way it is with all clubs in vmx?With speedway sedans/karts etc you just ring up and find out if the number you want is available.

Mostly yes, ask someone on the club committee and its members..cheers
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if you register a race number you pay a yearly fee for it.
If you're a semi serious competitor like me then its the luck of the draw, if you're entering a major event then get your entry in early for the best chance.
Most people ride mainly at a club level and the numbers seem to sort themselves out, at our DT club days ( 3 clubs ) at Nepean we have those satellite thingy's? ( name escapes me ) so it aint a big issue.
Cheers, Steve

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
 Way back when---I rode lots of opens it got to be a problem so the ACU brought out the 'buy a number' system where one paid an annual fee on top of your licence fee and they allocated a number for use at opens. This number was automatically yours at opens and five way restricteds etc.
  The big difference from now days is that the numbers [following the number of riders] was such that two digit numbers were quickly taken up.
 As example my number back then was 883. If I remember correctly a max. was set at 999. I think if they'd run out it was necessary to apply for some one els's No on a meetings entry form. I also remember that Col Evans requested No 13 which up to that time would not be issued.

Just further ramblings from an older competitor!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
or....save any problems.......
Best is in the West !!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
In Queensland if you buy a senior national licence you are allocated a riding number. You can ask for a riding number specifically for vintage mx which will then increase your chances of a two digit number as opposed to a postcode. Then if there is a clash, its their problem not yours.

Montynut

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
In NSW if you have a senior national Comp license you can apply for a registered number (extra charge) in a type of riding eg CDT or VMX from MNSW. Then any open or national level competition you enter in that field eg VMX you can use that number.

Unfortunately those numbers do not apply at club level. The club can run whatever system it wants. Heaven VMX in NSW allocate numbers to each member. Members keep that race number for the year and if they renew their membership early the next year their number continues on. When you join the club you can choose a number from those available.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »

Unfortunately those numbers do not apply at club level. The club can run whatever system it wants. Heaven VMX in NSW allocate numbers to each member. Members keep that race number for the year and if they renew their membership early the next year their number continues on. When you join the club you can choose a number from those available.

This is how I thought it would be and has been in all other types of motorsport Ive been involved with.Seems quite simple really,I dont understand why it isnt done this way to save any problems at the track and have crappy looking electrical taped numbers when someone turns up with the same number as someone else.

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »
O410E

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Why don't we start a number/name register, at least that will cut down the chances on dupications.  We can start a forum thread, everyone can cut & paste the list in the next comment with their name & number included.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Simple answer:

Decide on which number you want. Ring the secretary of the club(s) you want to race with, and ask if that number is taken.
If you're the first, then you can 'bags' the number, get your numbers made up and live happily ever after.
If someone else has already taken the number, then choose another and start again.

I went through the same stress a few years back, but its really a non-issue.

Numbers that are 'always' taken:
and anything that can be easily made from electrical tape.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »
Nathan thats the problem,the secretary doesnt have a note of anyones numbers to see if they are taken.I dont care what number/s I have as long as they arnt allready being used.I will only be racing local so Im only interested in a number thats not being used in my 2 clubs.A number/name register is a good idea but unless everyone in Australia puts down their number and club it would be no good.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
That's a bit average. Makes me wonder how they'd resolve a dispute if there's no 'proof' of who used the number first...

Do they do printed race programmes? A few old programmes ought to show the numbers that are in use. Ditto event photos.
The other thing is to ask here: "I want to race QVMX with number 1234, is anyone using that number?"

Won't be fool proof, but will minimise the drama.

If you're really a belt and braces guy, you could turn up to the first couple of meetings with stick on numbers, and only get the proper numbers made up once you're sure that you've got a unique number.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.