Author Topic: CUTTING FORK SPRINGS  (Read 1282 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
CUTTING FORK SPRINGS
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
hi
looking to put a set of progressive springs in my monty forks.i have had them for years.they are progressivly wound.they are 50mm too long do i cut 25mm from each end or 50mm from 1 end but which end.the closly wound end or the wider spaced end
this is for dirt track only and i am not a lightweight
i do have a set of spring new from les at vmx unlim.i have a set of betors that came with my staracer and it has cut down progressivly wound and seam to be better tha the new h/d springs.also which end goes in first the close wound so its at the bottom or the other way around
thanksjim

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: CUTTING FORK SPRINGS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:35:34 am »
Tightly wound end is the soft end. I'd be cutting there, to increase the spring rate as much as possible.

Doesn't matter which end goes in first if the springs aren't taper wound (ie not conical).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Swiss

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:09:17 am »
Nice to have the tightly wound end of the spring at the top as that end of the fork is considered "sprung" weight.  Cutting the tightly wound end shorter will stiffen up the overall spring rate.  Cutting the loosely wound end will soften up the spring rate.  If you happen to cut the loosely wound end, make sure that you have enough compression travel in the spring to prevent coil bind.

Swiss

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:13:08 pm »
Cutting either end of the spring will stiffen the spring rate.. a spring with less coils is firmer than one with more coils if the wire diameter and length is the same.
I would cut it off the tightly wound end.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »
I try and have no preload as I believe this gives better Tyre feel so I'm fussy with spring length. Stiff springs with light damping is how I roll 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle