Author Topic: What needs to be done to an 84 Honda CR250?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Re: What needs to be done to an 84 Honda CR250?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 07:35:00 pm »
Bloody hell Ken sounds like you have a big job on your hands there gettin that one
up to race ready spec, hope it all works out for you because Lake glenbawn is only a few weeks away. :o
Dont worry this sort of stuff happens all the time when you buy new-secondhand  (race ready bikes) im goin
through the same sort of scenario with 2 of mine at the moment, the yamaha and the 89 500 ...
The yamaha was claimed to be race ready but only lasted one race then the crank went south :'(
and the 500 had a few missing parts namely radiator protectors and air filter plus the fly wheel cover had a
hole in it ...   

That's pretty shitty to hear, if someone says a bike is 'race ready' I'd expect everything to have been rebuilt in the last couple of years, not just a new top end.

As for the CR250, was it a sight unseen ebay purchase?

It wasn't an eBay sight unseen purchase, it was from an Aussie who brought it in from the US. He said he had ridden it. Mmmmmm

It gets better. After a full top end clean & rebuild and replacing just about all the fasteners, it started sweetly but as I revved it, this creamy looking gunk began to come out of the gearbox breather tube. Upon closer inspection, it was a mix of foamed up gear oil and coolant! Ah yes, the infamous water pump I have read so much about.

A bit more work to do to get to the Lake Glenbawn start line. I think I got totally spoiled with my RZ. It arrived sorted and ready to race.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:37:56 pm by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »
Well, I received my 250 and have been reminded again of the cowboy butchers out there who own bikes and don't deserve the privilege. What a mess! Maybe it's me the problem, I expect it to be normal to use matching bolts(that have been tightened and haven't been rounded off or painted), washers, lock-tight nuts, the correct part for that model bike etc. Who puts in a new piston and leaves in the old warn out rings, bearing and pin?! I also expect dirt bike owners to have more in their tool box than a shifter and a hammer! ???

HoHo , sounds familiar.I bet if someone started a thread for "tell us about the "race ready bike" that  you just bought, it would be the record breaking topic o the forum.

Simo63

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
You can buy a new NOS Genuine Honda water pump kit for these from some mob in Victoria ... Umm starts with a B ..... can't remember but somrthing like Bennets or something similar ... a Honda Dealer anyway.  I probably have a receipt here somewhere as I've purchased a couple of these before if nobody else can help.

Anyone???