Author Topic: joy to the world, new 2 strokes come  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
joy to the world, new 2 strokes come
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:35:29 am »
Just thumbing through the latest MX Action, the new CRF450 looks, er much the same as the old ones... but Honda have given you foot pegs. MXA tried to spin that along for 3 pages of waffle about Honda listening to its customers.

However the Eurozone god blessem have been busy on their 2 STROKES ...... oh yes the Japanese may have tried to relegate the world to Hounds of the Dullsville exploding 4 strokes.... but KTM is riding to the rescue with 2 stroke range sharing same chassis and suspension as 4 strokes, the 250SX has 300cc kit and you get 125 and 150cc.

The 150cc made 40hp in 2011, which kisses off the KX250F at 38.4hp as the most powerful 250 diesel. KTM is also 12kgs lighter, hmmm, this could rain on the Japanese parade. Any parent sponsor looking at their latest top end rebuild should be rushing the KTM dealers.

Finally Husaberg has taken time out from developing its 4 strokes to focus on it's 2 strokes, gasp, the TE 450 is not selling like hotcakes. Yep and you have TM and Gas gas both producing very focused 2 strokes.... yee hah they are back

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 01:53:20 pm by marcFX »
formerly Marc.com

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: joy to the world, new 2 strokes come
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 12:50:34 pm »
yep rebuild the 2 smoke while having a coffee,how many parents would stay in the sport if 4 strokes were as easy?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
The Berg's look very much KTM in different cloths?
But I'm happy all the same , cant wait till one can buy a KTM 300 fuel injected.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 03:46:42 pm »
The Berg IS a KTM with blue plastics.. That's an old model pictured, the new one has a yellow frame

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
The Berg IS a KTM with blue plastics.. That's an old model pictured, the new one has a yellow frame

Yeah couldn't find  good shot of the new one. KTM seems to be the engine supplier also for the new Pursang though regrettably 4 stroke. 
formerly Marc.com

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:06:08 am »
         New Pursang   !!! ???

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:06 am »
New Pursang   !!! Interest aroused.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:29:55 am »
KTM 450SX powered with Spanish heritage. I am surprised the Japanese do not cash in more on their heritage, Yamaha seems about the only one so far with white and yellow bikes having been available.

http://pursangmotors.blogspot.com/
formerly Marc.com

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 10:45:05 am »
Very nice.Thanks for the web address,Marc.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:02:56 am »
Thats not a KTM engine, look closely in some of the early shots & you'll see Sherco on the ignition cover which wouldn't be a bad thing although probably not as powerful as the 450SX motor

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

With one small exception, the Bergs get the top of the line twin chamber WP forks and matching shock whereas the KTM is relegated to the entry level WP's. I haven't ridden either of the bikes but I know a lot of expert/pro class riders here in Victoria that say it is enough to warrant paying more coin for the Berg just to get the suspension. There are other small tweaks that Husaberg do that (from what I'm told) are enough to make them feel like two completely different machines.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »
With one small exception, the Bergs get the top of the line twin chamber WP forks and matching shock whereas the KTM is relegated to the entry level WP's.

Hell I would buy a Berg just for those fork protectors. But make mine a 2 stroke. If you ride a modern 250 or 300 2 stroke they are really the grunt kings on the steep trails, you can use the torque on the edge of the power band, rather than have explosive wheel spin and flame outs, though admitedly the 4 strokes I have ridden have all been converted MXers. 

MXA said the new Pursang was KTM powered, KTM or Sherco it is still a cool thing.
formerly Marc.com

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:52:45 pm »
The berg has better forks than the ktm but the shocks are the same. The 2 stroke berg uses a lower compression piston than the ktm which explains the smoother less explosive power delivery.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 01:11:26 pm »
John,
I was under the impression that there was significant changes to the power valve operation with tuning to the carbie to match. Of one of the riders I spoke with said the difference between his early production 2011 KTM and his new 2011 HUSABERG was chalk and cheese. Kinda hard to explain when they share the same base chassis & engine. The other thing was that most said was that KTM dealers had lost touch with the average Joe because KTM's really sold themselves whereas Berg dealers were a little more hungry and took the time to understand true customer service, particulary post sales of the bike.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »
The other thing was that most said was that KTM dealers had lost touch with the average Joe because KTM's really sold themselves whereas Berg dealers were a little more hungry and took the time to understand true customer service, particulary post sales of the bike.

I think as KTM moved away from being a dirt bike maker to selling road bikes and associated trinkets, then the focus of their dealerships changed and became a bit more Hollywood. Bergs tend to be sold in the smaller niche dealers who are more focused on dirt bikes. So good reason to buy the Berg, Sherco, Gas gas, maybe Husky.
formerly Marc.com