Author Topic: eBay scammers  (Read 3465 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
eBay scammers
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:33:43 pm »
Hi guys, I am currently selling a bike I bought just the other week any way I am getting people trying to scam me and I thought I'd let you know what they are trying to do.

I have never had trouble before but this time round I put my phone number and what they do is as follows.

They will send a text saying they are interested in your item and could you email more info, then they tell you a story which ends in I don't have an eBay account.

Next they say they will pay right away through paypal if you can remove the item, then they say the will pick up right away.

So what I suspect they are doing is they are local they would come around pick up the item race home and cancel the payment which is easy to do through paypal.

I just thought I'd post this so no one gets caught out I have had two try in one week and the stories they spin are good they talk about their other bikes as if they are a bike person, so just be careful cause someone could easily pull this scam on you if you aren't careful, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: eBay scammers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:15:49 am »
Thanks for the heads up Michael.  I never put my phone number because I hate people calling me and interrupting my private head space.  I usually get them to message me via ebay with their number and call them.

If they don't have an ebay account but have a Paypal account that's kinda suss right there.  The two practically go hand in hand.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »
watch that scam,talking to a guy at last heaven round .got stitched up with a dummy paypal "page",apparently the guys in the UK,(text me your bank details??),hacked his pc,trashed his  bank account bigtime,feral police took his his pc too see if they can play catchup ,got pretty serious with it! :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:28:04 pm »
Yep, I have heard of the fake paypal pages before I'd advise not to put your phone number on the listing though I won't be from now on.
1971 tm400 and PE's

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:31:08 pm »
Hey, Frosty, I got robbed last night, they took my work Laptop and Garmin, so Lock up everything. The Police came today and checked everything.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:55 pm »
geezas bummer Dave,arsehols!!,just in time for xmas too,hope the police catch up with them mate,mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:12 pm »
Thanks for the warning Dave, I have had heaps stolen so I am pretty careful almost have OCD on checking locks etc etc alot of it is kids and the more serious is commuting to our areas you will know what areas I mean.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:41:22 pm »
i have stopped puting my mobile no on my ebay ads had some abusive calls 1 even rang me at 10.30pm (i am at work then) and told me he would come around a pay me what he thought it was worth told him were to go and hung up.the funny thing is all the dick head calls had number sending so i got there number in my phone wankers.had 2 emails from england re bikes and paypal just delete delete
jim

albrid-3

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »
Thanks Mick, I was so pissed off this morning, all my work stuff is onr the laptop. And I have had email from scammer sending sms to my phone to offer or buy my bikes that are on ebay.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:41 pm »
I know who stole something from my car a while ago I am patient though and what goes around comes around.

I got so pissed when it happened to me so I put up a camera caught all the little buggers in our area they all got criminal records so they are going no where in life any way you know that if you inscribe an item cash convertors won't take it.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:57:36 am »
you know that if you inscribe an item cash convertors won't take it.

This must be new, I've seen things in the past at crime converters with names engraved.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 05:40:09 pm »
I don't know maybe if you had your id matching the name they might take it but I was pretty sure they didn't.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
Put your drivers license number on your expensive/important electronic goodies. That way the police can get hold of you when they catch the little s*#ts with your stuff. 

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:14 pm »
you know that if you inscribe an item cash convertors won't take it.

This must be new, I've seen things in the past at crime converters with names engraved.

When you buy stuff from " crime converters " they ask for your name and address.
When I pointed out that I was buying and not selling I was told that it was just in case the item was stolen.
Duhh , how does that work ?
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »
You'd probably get charged for recieving stolen goods if it turned out to be the case rather than the fences that sold you the goods  ::)