Author Topic: Firko's new flat tracker  (Read 22727 times)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Firko's new flat tracker
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:07 pm »
MMmmmmm, very nice!
This should be Firko's flat track ride. Unusual -tick. Rare -tick. Simple -tick.  Twist the throttle and GO!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230958803677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 10:17:41 pm »
This should be Firko's flat track ride. Unusual -tick. Rare -tick. Simple -tick.  Twist the throttle and GO!
Ironically I once owned a Rokon, I kept it my ex's place in California to ride when I visited but after a while I sadly I stopped visiting. It was an enduro version and despite the transmissions belt tensioners tendency to slacken off every 20 kilometres or so it was a solid performer.
So some of these flattrackers do not have a front brake, can they run at nepean DT in the same class as the CR's and YZ' run in
You have to run a front brake here, I've put the spool front wheel aside and have fitted a 19" Akront laced up to a YZ Yamaha brake. You can't run these bikes against the moderns these days as the rules state that bikes need stock frames. They're right to run against the stock frames vintage motocrossers though. If someone was in the position to put up a good argument, I reckon you could possibly get away with entering them in any slider only races as it could be argued that these bikes were built with the very same intentions as a Hagon or Elstar.....to go sideways on a dirt track.  ;D ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
firko, are you going to bring that lovely maroon Yammy 360 to nepean ant time soon?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:15 am »
firko, are you going to bring that lovely maroon Yammy 360 to nepean ant time soon?
You betcha Brett ;D. I'm planning on taking it to the May practice day to run it (and myself*) in and tune it. If my health and riding skills come back a tad more I'd like to debut it at the Charity Meeting later in the year. If I'm not up to it yet I'll let a mate race it at that meet.

* Because of my then declining health I haven't ridden on a race track since the early noughties so even though I'm much, much healthier it's still going to take a lot of practice for me to get back up to reasonable race speeds. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
mark its not a fasttrack frame as they are like champions with the rear engine mounts in the shoe as part of the swing arm.also the swing arm is not fasttrack either.they also they have stearing stops welded on the frame.i can give you the familys (son) email i have had emails from him he raced flattrack with his dad on there frames
jim

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 11:54:25 am »
mark its not a fasttrack frame as they are like champions with the rear engine mounts in the shoe as part of the swing arm.also the swing arm is not fasttrack either.they also they have stearing stops welded on the frame.i can give you the familys (son) email i have had emails from him he raced flattrack with his dad on there frames
jim
It's a Fastrack this week Jim ;D, it changes all the time. I've had people on three continents offering up their suggestions as to who might have made it and Fasttrack has the most votes from folks the USA. It's not Champion, PDV, Knight,Trackmaster, Redline, (Jerry) Cheney and C&J. It's been suggested that it might be a Boss frame but I don't think so. Whatever it is it's professionally made and really well TIG welded. I still think it looks closer to a Fastrack than anything else....remembering that it's 0001 frame number which would possibly make it a lot different to frames that came later.

Here's a Boss frame compared to mine....close but no cigar.

This is the area of the bike that separates it from others and should make it identifiable, the above swingarm brake stay and lack of rear frame loop are fairly uncommon design facets.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:18:21 pm by firko »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »
(Nearly)Finished:  
Well the little flat tracker is just about finished. All it needs is a chain, shorter front brake cable and fluids. It's a bit of a mystery as to what the frame is, we've narrowed it down to a Boss or Cycle Centre frame but in reality we're still guessing. Whoever made it it's a beautifully light, tig welded frame with a lot of 'different' ideas. I do however know that the engine's a piston port 360 RT1 Yamaha with DT2MX gears, balanced 'Franks Cranks' crankshaft, ,mild porting, Single ring RT1MX piston, PVL ignition, 38mm Mikuni, Jemco flat track pipe. The rear wheel is from an MX250 with a Mitas trials tyre, the front is a 19" Akront rim laced to a MX250 hub with a Dunlop K180 tyre. The rear shocks are Gazi's, forks are from an RD250 Yamaha. Handlebars are inter-Am solid alloy with Magura levers and throttle. Yamaha MX grey cables. The tank is a small Champion version and the seat is early Champion big bike version. It's painted candy apple red by me. The engine will eventually go back in my Cheney pre 65 motocrosser and be replaced by a DT2MX reed engine on methanol for the 250 class as my upcoming 750 Yamaha will cover the big classes. I hope to get it sorted at the next Nepean practice day and debut her at the Charity meeting late in the year.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
Looks shit hot Firko,well done 8)

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 03:49:06 pm »
Very nice job Uncle Firks!

There must be something in this dirt track thing, judging by the amount of traffic on the forum, in this area.

Well done, send some photos of it in action!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28:47 pm »
Yeah Firko!
She's a real sweetheart. Candy Apple red looks nice.
Well done.  regards  Mark

mainline

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »
Very, very cool. Love your work!

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »

Very nice Firko she sure has all the goodies including Looks..

The Stig.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »
Thanks fella's.
She's a real sweetheart. Candy Apple red looks nice.
I've loved Candy Apple Red ever since I first saw Johnny Stewart's McGee-Shell-Trackburner midget speedcar at the Sydney Showground Speedway in the sixties. Then when I saw Husky Pete's candy red Huskys it became a no brainer as to what colour to paint it. However, seeing that my new Shell-OW72 750 Yamaha is painted in mid seventies Yellow, black and white Yamaha works colours, I'm considering painting this little bike to match its new partner in crime. I've already got the black and white stripe graphics so once the big bike gets here I'll match the shade of yellow to it and possibly paint the little bike. The candy reds not disappearing though, I've got plenty of paint left so I'll probably paint the tank highlights on my pre 60 TriBSA that colour.

Here's a tracker with the same bodywork and the same graphics kit I bought.....what do you guys think....red or yellow?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:18:15 pm by firko »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »
The candy is nice, but you cannot beat the Kenny Roberts Yellow on a Yamaha flatty,
Cant wait till Nepean is on....
Brett 
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
Hard to beat Bumble Bee Yellow for old Yams
Wood Yams look good in Blue.
Lovely bike Mark