Author Topic: Another highly technical question from a lowly IQ'd fellow YZ250E Forks  (Read 1044 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
I have two questions:
On top of the main long fork spring normally sits a pressed metal cap and a metal spacer then the cap goes on. Mine has another spring approx40mm long instead of the spacer.. Is this normal as the parts manual shows a spacer.

I changed the fork oil used 10wt to the correct level 138 mm from the top when compressed. Once i put the spring back in etc and the cap on, i then compressed the fork assy before putting it back into the bike. as i put weight on approx at 3/4 down the travel it made a sticking type of thing that felt like a stapler. I easilly reproduced the fault but it did not happen at exactly the same point of travel. this happened with both of the legs. Could it be the spring turning at one end and not the other.

Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: Another highly technical question from a lowly IQ'd fellow YZ250E Forks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:49 PM »
do you have the cap between both springs ???
follow me to first turn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Sounds like you've got a valve spring or similar instead of the spacer, i'd go back to the spacer to be sure. You can make one from pvc pipe and you'll need the metal cap in between.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »
Its likely that the spacer between the springs is catching on one of the edges inside the fork leg.
Try putting the short spring at the bottom and the long spring on the top - if the catch/click changes, then that will be a big hint.
If it doesn't change, then try without any springs.

Two springs stacked together is softer than one spring and a spacer, BTW.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Yep, the cap is between the springs.
Does look like a valve spring,
I think i will just make a spacer
Cheers Gents
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...