Author Topic: how many members have usa flattrackers  (Read 17463 times)

Curly3

Re: how many members have usa flattrackers
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 04:53:11 pm »
Look's like this U.S. Flattrack thang is takin off.
I might even be tempted, one day.
If this starts a US invasion, I'm blaming Jim.
Since he got back from there earlier this year he's started wearing Snake Skin boots, a 10 Gallon Stetson and a huge belt buckle, reminds me a bit of Hoss Cartwright. ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:09:55 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »
steve
you crack me up
i will have two so you will be tempted one day little joe
night john boy

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:22 pm »
Be great to see it get going,no front brakes and away you go.Slides is right, not really our heritage but much more suited to older blokes. We have a couple in Griffith (not true flat trackers but they will pass) and love to ride at Nepean.Lets get some practice and take on the US.

Curly3

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »
I'll take that as a complement, little Joe was the hunk of the show, I think.
Anyway, get back to work.
I'd be in that Pete, have to run it past the minister for War & Finance first.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:15 am »
Yeah, American style flat trackers aren't really a part of our dirt track DNA but what really is the guts or our sport? We might consider sliders as being the heritage of Aussie dirt track/short circuit but even they were borrowed from British grass track. The beauty of our take on dirt track is that we've taken a number of different influences from other places, threw them in the pot and out poured Aussie dirt track.

I can recall American import dirt trackers being a part (albeit minor) of Oz dirt track back in the early seventies. I clearly recall a Trackmaster Triumph lapping Nepean around 1972 and can also remember a small number of Champion and C&J framed XL Hondas at various times throughout the seventies. My old Champion framed Yamaha SC500, now owned by Edgar Phipps was imported as a kit when the SC500 was new in '73/74 and I can recall seeing a couple more with MX250 engines being used. I remember former GP/superbike racer Peter Goddard racing an unbelievably trick XR500/C&J in the early 80's and there were many more scattered all over the East Coast that I have either forgotten or never saw .

With Pete 52's recent success in the USA and the small but growing band of USA import and locally built bikes coming in line, the short track races on Nepeans speedway circuit, soon to be revamped long track and the grand old short circuit look to inject a new lot of fun into the stagnant local scene.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:10 pm »
This is the same frame and shell covers as yours

IF i remember todd's email ill fire him over a Please xplain.

not that it matters
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:41:10 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
I have alway had a bit of a soft spot for the US style of dirt track racing, expecially the mile and TT races. Back in 2001 while in the US doing some training with the US Navy (thanks to you lot for paying your taxes), I was fortunate enough to be able to go down to Springfeild IL for the mile and TT races and also to Peoria for the TT races there.

The mile racing at Springfeild was something that just has to be experienced, photos, video and written words just can't do justice to the atmosphere. I was extra luck to spend a bit of time talking to the owner of this bike;

Yes, the man himself, Jay Springstein. He has to be one of the friendliset racers that I have ever meet. The autographed race plate and tee shirt he gave me take pride of place in my collection of memorabilia.

For all that the mile at Sringfield was, the TT at Peoria was even better. The track being set in a valley that provides a natural ampitheatre made it so much better than the TT race at Springfield which were held at the County Fairground. The crowd were in full picnic / party mode with more BBQ's and eskies than I have ever seen outside of Aust. The racing was superb with Chris Carr living up to his "Prince of Peoria" title.

I also managed to see this gem at a swapmeeting that I stopped of at on the way to Peoria;

I geve serious though to buying it, but the cost of shipping back to Aust, was a factor along with the fact that the Aust $ was only buying $0.55 at that time. It is definitly one to add to the "Why did I let it get away list".

CJ
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:33:44 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 07:17:30 pm »

Wheels are trick PM and virtually unobtainable....very tasty, this shop I visit in Japan has few of Springers Bartels bikes and he rode for them at Daytona one year

formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 10:08:10 pm »
IF i remember todd's email ill fire him over a Please xplain.
Todd who.....you've lost me but you're right, it does look like it's a Shell but who gives a rats... it's a good thing even if it had been made in China by old mate the Metisse bloke ;D.

Those wheels on Springers Harley are indeed P&M's, they're rare and expensive and seriously light. A cheaper way of getting the look is to find a set of similar looking P&M Buell wheels, in fact there's a set for sale on http://vft.org/vftforsale2.html for $450.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:07 pm »
i had the pleasure to talk to and see jay race at bankstown trotting track one january
it was great

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 06:23:21 am »
I met Springer in c '94 at one of Ivan's Longtrack meetings in Canberra, an absolute gentleman, he was cutting his rear tyre when we walked up, he dropped everything and spoke with us for some time.

Fella on the XR is Dave Francis first Pres of the FSCMCC.
Foss

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 04:29:19 pm »
 I also met Jay at Bankstown and found him very friendly and genuinely interested  having a chat.
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
Hey Foss, if you admire Jay so much, why did you thumb tack that photo to your dart board ;D ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »
Needs some noise for friday night  :P  :P ..well it could have Yankie bits on it   ;) ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQcwS0tIWY&feature=related
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:17 pm »
Whoever that was riding, he knew what he was doing.
Track looked awesome, makes a huge difference.
Book me in for next easter.