Author Topic: Trick (and expensive) TM400 Suzuki  (Read 3401 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Trick (and expensive) TM400 Suzuki
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:55:50 pm »
As is usual with Arizona Mikes's bikes, there are a lot of unverified claims made about the bike but all that aside, it's pretty damn trick anyway. You'd never get it past pre '75 scrutineering but it might squeeze into pre '78. That's if you're prepared to pay nearly 10 K for it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-R-D-RACING-Suzuki-TM-RN-400-Vintage-MX-MotoCross-Moto-X-John-DeSoto-AWESOME-/260882399098?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbdcd7f7a#ht_3594wt_786
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trick (and expensive) TM400 Suzuki
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »
i am not into it, looks like a lash up to turn left over TM400 in TM400S, bent engine fins may hint at the quality of the workmanship. 10K USD is having a lend.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »
I'll bet it will handle like an expensive, fast, pogo stick. With the shocks at this angle they have decreasing mechanical advantage (becoming easier to compress) and you never get the dampening or spring right - either being to stiff initially (compliance over small bumps) or too soft for the big hits.

Whatcha reckon - a $3000 bike :P.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:27 pm »
I'll bet it will handle like an expensive, fast, pogo stick. With the shocks at this angle they have decreasing mechanical advantage (becoming easier to compress) and you never get the dampening or spring right - either being to stiff initially (compliance over small bumps) or too soft for the big hits.

Sorry MX, but I think you have that arse about.

Inclined [laid down] shocks have a rising rate, not falling as you say.

When a shock is at 90° to the swingarm [assuming that the shock is in line with the axle] then 1mm of axle movement results in 1mm of shock travel.

When the shocks are inclined at a 45° angle 1mm of axle movement results in 0.5mm of shock travel [that ratio is from memory, and I can't be bothered to get the calc to check it, so sorry if it is not absolutely correct].

So on a bike with laid down shocks the biggest difference in mechanical advantage is achieved if the shock ends up at 90° to the swingarm at the end of the shocks travel. Eyeballing this one, that wouldn't happen so the ratio would be less, but it is definitely still a rising rate.

It could as you say be a 'Pogo Stick' but that would be more likely from having to run a much heavier spring rate to compensate for the increase mechanical advantage due to  the extreme shock angle - vs. the primitive damping provided by the shocks. It would be more likely to top-out due to the springs overpowering the rebound damping.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
10K thats just taking the piss
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
I like it!

I agree with VMX re the rising rate of the shocks BUT THAT ASIDE the SR500's of Williams & Gunter had falling-rate rear suspension; did it slow them down?  Anyway I don't agree with rising or falling rate, whether it's MX or roadracing,straight rate is where it's at.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »
I like it!

I agree with VMX re the rising rate of the shocks BUT THAT ASIDE the SR500's of Williams & Gunter had falling-rate rear suspension; did it slow them down?  Anyway I don't agree with rising or falling rate, whether it's MX or roadracing,straight rate is where it's at.
Sorry mate but a straight rate on a motocross bike doesn't work.. everything you buy now has a rising rate, even KTM built the equivilent of a rising rate into their linkless PDS shock.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:13 pm »
I like it!

Sorry mate but a straight rate on a motocross bike doesn't work.. everything you buy now has a rising rate, even KTM built the equivilent of a rising rate into their linkless PDS shock.
The PDS has a relatively straight mechanical advantage and then the compliance is tuned with spring rate and hydraulics isn't it?

Which is the whole point - it's easier to work with two variables rather than three.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »
I like it!

The PDS has a relatively straight mechanical advantage and then the compliance is tuned with spring rate and hydraulics isn't it?

Which is the whole point - it's easier to work with two variables rather than three.
Yes basically, it stiffens up toward the end of it's stroke.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »
It looks way overpriced and dodgy to me.. 

IT400C

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
haha - I'd have to look at some better photos to be sure... 

But they look like IT400C forks!! 

It even looks to have Yamaha fork gators (the brass vent type), and that's definitely a Yamaha '75/'76 fork gator clamp that the brake cable's running through..    ::)

Not the best photos, and we were discussing another matter - but check this out and tell me they don't look the same...

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,10046.0.html

mx250

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 07:34:43 pm »
The $10,000 question is 'does the seller know it's not as represented' or is he just overselling it like a good used car salesman :P.

My money says 'a bit of both' ;). Buyer beware!!!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Welds look a tad fresh around that reed block, header of the pipe looks to be standard with cones tacked on afterwards. Would cost about $1000 to do yourself
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:22:53 am »
I'd have tho't thats as highly suspect as his protoype Kaw (bighorn).

IIRC Desoto was long gone from Suz by then.

I'd have said they were IT400C forks too (but w shortened forktubes), which would be circa 76

No decent/reputable R&D would have used lengthened stock 400 swingarm. It'd be about as flex-resistant as soggy speghetti.

In general, rear shocks inclined to about 30deg from vert are rising rate (eg 77 & later huskies). From 30 to about 40/45deg it starts rising rate then goes falling rate part way thro the stroke (eg 75/6 huskies). Beyond about 45deg they're falling rate pretty much right thro the stroke (eg GP2 Phantom, VA Monties)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »
As for suspension this set up would R&D really have popped for a set of RM shocks given they had the damping sophistication of a flywire door closer...... I take that back most flywires have adjustable compression damping.
formerly Marc.com