Author Topic: Black Seagulls that smell like chain lube  (Read 4831 times)

TooFastTim

Re: Black Seagulls that smell like chain lube
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »
No it wasn't that one Marc. That one's on the rocks. The one I was thinking about was beached and eventually refloated without damage.

About faces at Lloyds: James Hunt was one of the "faces" at Lloyds and lost it all when Lloyds got into trouble a few years ago.

P.S. What have Lloyds and Wimpy bars got in common?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:38:14 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »
I have no idea what Lloyds and Whimpy bars have in common ?

BTW check out this website for transport loss..... scroll through some great photos

http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_singles.only.html#Whale-of-Tale
formerly Marc.com

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 01:54:43 pm »
You can pay a premium to have your container stowed inside the hull, we do..
The other thing to take into account is the late return fees on the containers, you get around ten days from the ships original eta. After that you are charged per day on an increasing scale for every day the container is late back.  !!
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

TooFastTim

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »
I have no idea what Lloyds and Whimpy bars have in common ?

Both were originally coffee houses in London. Lloyds coffee houses eventually morphed into Lloyds shipping insurance and Wimpy was a subsidiary of Lyons coffee houses (coincidently owned by Nigella Lawsons family).

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 05:46:44 pm »
Sorry to come in late here but (at the risk of being called pedantic) Monrovia is not a country, it is the capital of Liberia. The Liberian registration requirements are somewhat less than rigorous, hence its popularity as a "flag of convenience". Regrettably I don't think this will be resolved anytime soon, and the people of Tauranga and environs will be the ones to suffer.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »

Both were originally coffee houses in London. Lloyds coffee houses eventually morphed into Lloyds shipping insurance and Wimpy was a subsidiary of Lyons coffee houses (coincidently owned by Nigella Lawsons family).

I knew that about Lloyds but didn't know that about Wimpy ..... still not sure Wimpy still exist in this part of the world. Sorry I am corrected Monrovia is capital Liberia, yeah in this case the Flag of Convenience will probably only be convenient for the owner

Well Catherine Taylor and Maritime NZ appear to have exhibited their usual drooling incompetence....thank god the cavalry of real expertise just turned up from Singapore,  Maritime NZ used to be called the Maritime Safety Authority ..... based on their endless deaths, cock ups and cover ups I am not surprised they dropped the Safety bit out of their title, it was giving the wrong impression .... corrupt evil Government free loaders, led by one of Helen's unqualified old Uni mates and a bunch of half qualified Poms, more typically NZ than the Kiwi these days.

formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:53 pm »
...... and this is where we get the expression "for whom the bell tolls"

I think it has been more general than that. That is one of many meanings and colourful speech.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/for-whom-the-bell-tolls.html

I always remember  "for whom the bell tolls" from the fuller quote on the inside cover of Hemingway's book.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Only in Tauranga NZ - no sheep ??
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
A baby fur seal has made its way into a New Zealand home and taken a quick nap on the couch.

Annette Swoffer lives about 300 metres from the water at Tauranga on the Bay of Plenty on the North Island.

She was at home on Sunday night when she heard a racket and went to investigate.

She found the fur seal curled up on the couch having negotiated a busy road, a long driveway, a fence, cat door, two cats, a dog and a set of stairs.

"It was a lovely experience I'd have to say, a real treat," she said.

Photo: The seal was on the couch for about 45 minutes. (NZ Department of Conservation)
The seal ignored Ms Swoffer's dog and cats and plonked itself on the couch for about 45 minutes.

"I was in my office and I heard an awful racket down below ... I thought the cats have brought a rabbit or something in so I went down and had a look - and there's a seal in my kitchen," Ms Swoffer told The Bay of Plenty Times.

"I thought 'I'm hallucinating, this is just wrong'."

Ms Swoffer called the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, who then called the Department of Conservation (DOC), which sent a ranger to pick the mammal up.

"They were giggling away and I'm saying 'I'm not drunk, I'm not lying, there's a seal in my house'," she told the Bay of Plenty Times.

The pup was returned to the sea by a wildlife officer, but not before the intrepid adventurer got from the back of the car into the front and turned on the radio.

It was believed the same seal had been collected from a garden earlier that day and seen at a roundabout the next.

"It's not that unusual to have a seal turn up in strange places, especially in coastal areas," DOC spokeswoman Katrina Knill told ABC News Online.

"They swim up rivers and streams and then sometimes they do venture on roads and land."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-14/seal-makes-itself-at-home/3730682

Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Only in Tauranga NZ - no sheep ??
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »
A baby fur seal has made its way into a New Zealand home and taken a quick nap on the couch.

Yeah there has been a lot of going on with seals lately, nice to get a happy story. Some idiot shot one yesterday. I had a friend who used to get plagued by Penguins coming up under the house and round the garden.
formerly Marc.com