Author Topic: Best of British tow cars  (Read 12762 times)

mainline

Re: Best of British tow cars
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
ffs, don't piss around

if you have to tow your British Iron around with British Iron you need

a lightweight E-type

or

an XJ13

Aston Martin (low trailer hitch required)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 08:14:19 am »
Harley tow vehicle is interesting as Harley had a specific model for that, they built the Servicar for about 50 years as tow vehicle, police and AA and it even came with a place for your tools and riding gear.

formerly Marc.com

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:48 pm »
 My TF 1500 was a pretty cool tow car except for several busted gearboxes and a broken crankshaft.
cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »
got $6K for my TF in 1972 from a yank,way more than could get in Unzud in the day- worth few more bob now
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:01 pm »
got $6K for my TF in 1972 from a yank,way more than could get in Unzud in the day- worth few more bob now

yep we were poor and the Yanks were rich and buying up cars and bikes in NZ, how times change. One of my neighbours has a TD but they don't do a lot for me. Im with Mainline make mine a light weight D Type.

formerly Marc.com

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
Hmmm ..... D type ....... Long nose or Short nose  :-\
Difficult decision  8)
Thumpers Rule !

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 12:28:54 pm »

I think I got about $500 for mine about 1961 and glad to get rid of it after saving up for 6months to replace the"unbreakable 100 ton crank shaft" that how it was described in the service manual.
 However I still think the TF was the best looking sports car ever, looked like 100mph when parked.
 The genuine 1500 is very rare and worth big dollars. Iwant it back!
cheers pancho

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »
My dipshit ex brother in law spent a veritible fortune doing a proper 'body off' restoration of his MG-TF but when he went to sell it to raise money for a house purchase a fatal flaw in his ''plan'' came to the fore. The car had originally been British Racing Green but in his wisdom he decided to paint in in MG's pre war racing livery "to add authenticity" (despite the car being a post war model). The beige body with chocolate brown mudguards might have been considered nice in the early '20's to but to the 1988 marketplace the car looked like a Mars Bar on steroids and potential buyers kept away in droves. He eventually sold it for a quarter of what a restored TF in its original colour was getting in the market place at the time.
 He later found that MG had changed their racing team colours over to BRG after a year or so because the colour scheme had been universally disliked by almost everyone ;D.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 03:53:43 pm »
 Yeah, I have been told the quickest way to de-value any model MG is to go away from the original colour for the particular car. The MG fraternity are a bit "anal".
 I broke that rule with the last MG I owned, it was the first model MGA 1500, one  that I bought in pieces.The first thing I did was crack test the crank, it was ok [but it broke after about 1000 miles].
 Any how its market value was nill till about 6months after I traded it on a Honda 450, then they stopped making and importing MGs, which put a rocket under ALL MGs. My bad timing struck again!
 Any how the old Wolsely 680 was probably the best tow car I had. Cheers pancho.

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:55 am »
Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 11:22:02 am »
Wow reminds me of the good ole days when I used to cram my then new RM125X into the back of a $300 Austin 1800 land crab that used more oil than petrols and was running on waste oil knocked off from work ::)

The Austin was one of the first 5 speeds assuming you could actually select all 5 given that it is all done by a rats nest of short selector cables. 
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »
Wow reminds me of the good ole days when I used to cram my then new RM125X into the back of a $300 Austin 1800 land crab that used more oil than petrols and was running on waste oil knocked off from work ::)

The Austin was one of the first 5 speeds assuming you could actually select all 5 given that it is all done by a rats nest of short selector cables. 

;D ;D ;D

I used to do the same with an IT 175 in the back of an Austin 1300  ::) used to take out the wheels , and fork legs and slide it in across the floor where the rear seat used to be  :) In summer i would leave the gaurds on and wind down the windows close the doors and the gaurds would hang out the sides  ;D

In winter it was gaurds off windows shut  ::)

TM BILL

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »
My dipshit ex brother in law spent a veritible fortune doing a proper 'body off' restoration of his MG-TF but when he went to sell it to raise money for a house purchase a fatal flaw in his ''plan'' came to the fore. The car had originally been British Racing Green but in his wisdom he decided to paint in in MG's pre war racing livery "to add authenticity" (despite the car being a post war model). The beige body with chocolate brown mudguards might have been considered nice in the early '20's to but to the 1988 marketplace the car looked like a Mars Bar on steroids and potential buyers kept away in droves. He eventually sold it for a quarter of what a restored TF in its original colour was getting in the market place at the time.
 He later found that MG had changed their racing team colours over to BRG after a year or so because the colour scheme had been universally disliked by almost everyone ;D.

Funniest line iv'e heard in a long time  ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »
How could you possibly not consider this British classic to transport your British classic  ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 01:38:11 pm »
How could you possibly not consider this British classic to transport your British classic  ;D

Ohhh make my transit V4 Bill, however as desirable as the Transit is I would say propper British van from the British Motor Company would be ideal for hauling you Brit bike about.  ;D

It even comes with convenient sliding doors in case you need to jump.  ::)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:41:09 pm by marcFX »
formerly Marc.com