Author Topic: bulonda 420cc  (Read 13133 times)

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: bulonda 420cc
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »
I was going to use a Husky frame before I got my C & J frames, Husky frames are cheap on ebay & they come up often, my sideport C & J turns much better than the Baja bike due to the rake & heaps better than the stock frame XL sideport I used to race two years ago.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:09:14 pm by sudman »
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline Davy123

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »
i used a TGM frame..which was quite easy to do , i've put honda engines in maico,husky and used stock frames with extended swing arms but nothing beats the handling of the C&J...however the TGM framed bike i've built handles pretty well....
I was looking at Can-Am frames and reckon a honda engine would fit with a bit of beard stroking ..
pics of the TGM/XL below

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 06:47:13 pm »
Thats a sweet looking bike Davy. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »
the South African rider Rob Wicks
This one ? looks sexy to me  ;D

Best is in the West !!

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:45 pm »
Hay Guys,
Thanks for your help, Mark seems to be talking sense about the original frame but shit I have my heart set on making a special I am how ever very limited to what frames are available down here in Tas I have a good friend that is going through 2 sheds full of old spares looking for me I have asked him to look for any pre 75 MX frames hopefully something will turn up that hasent seen the light of day for a while. But if you guys have a frame and swing arm that might be suitable please dont hesitating in sending me a message.

I love the TGM/xl and the C&J Honda  I wish that one of those frames was to come up. A guy over here has a champion frame but wont sell it even though he has had it for years and hasnt used it.

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline Davy123

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 03:42:07 am »
Heres a good few pics of a can-am frame on this ebay link ..he dreaming with the price as there are loads more starting at $50 us..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-Bombardier-CAN-AM-TNT-175-Frame-/190537493716?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5ceb6cd4

plenty room in the frame and swing arm spindle to bottom frame  rail geometry looks close to allow honda motor to fit..

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:12 am »
Shane - get a YZ  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 10:36:08 am »
plenty room in the frame and swing arm spindle to bottom frame  rail geometry looks close to allow honda motor to fit..

I can see a couple of problems with the Can-Am frame, the first being a possible exhaust clearance issue with the twin downtubes fouling the off centre exhaust. The second might be a clearance problem with the tall Honda engine fouling the diagonal downtubes going from the top frame rail to the swingarm pivot area.
Even if the engine slips inside of those braces, it'd be a nightmare getting it in and out. If those braces were removed or relocated, frame strength might be compromised.

The difficulty with the Honda's motor is to get the wet sump as low in the chassis as possible to help align the sprocket with the swingarm pivot to achieve the best chain travel. There's a lot of engine below the crank/sprocket centreline on an XL Honda engine which usually means removing any lower rail cross braces or at worse, lowering the whole bottom cradle. The Montesa and CZ both seemed to be easy swaps with the motor slotting in pretty well but in both cases the engine sat too high because of that big lump of sump. Both frames weren't wide enough for the sump to fit between the bottom frame rails so the bottom rails had to be lowered. Besides those two frames I also measured up DT250A Yamaha, Honda CR250 Elsinore, Bultaco Pursang MK5, Bultaco M11 and Rickman Montesa frames and each failed for either exhaust and/or sump clearance problems that would require major work to cure.

Maico and Husky frames feature large engine cradles and wide lower frame rail spacing making them much easier propositions. There are others that may fit the bill...possibly the little Rickman Zundapp which seems to be able to accept everything from DT1 through to 500 Triumph engines. I also think the Sprite/American Eagle might fit the criteria except that it's probably heavier than the Honda frame, which isn't all that heavy in itself once the gizmo brackets are removed. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:38:03 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha