Author Topic: Ideal mount for first foray into road racing  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal mount for first foray into road racing
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »
I actualy got to the bottom of the Oxford St LC, it was in memory of the owners(dunno about the current) then girlfriend who he built up a bike for her to race and it had a pink frame. Not long after the girlfriend was killed in a car accident and it continued after that(albeit for a bit to long).
Seen plenty riding 'chookies' on the tar , one fellow who could scrape the frame rails on his lower KTM 495 and saw plenty of Shawn when he first began road racing and never heard anyone complain.   
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:12 pm »
Maybe it's me but that pink framed LC Yamaha looks fuc*ing awful. I find road racing a big yawn to watch unless it's the top boys. I raced a few club days back in the 70's on my Maico an DS6 Yamaha and later on in the early 80's on my Z1R and I couldn't believe how committed to the one line and one line only most club level road racers are. It's as if they're going to be thrown into the eternal fire of hell if they move more than 20mm off their designated path. The funny thing is, if you show any sort of initiative and start using dirt style lines and squaring off the corners you'll pass shitloads of the puppies but inevitably cop a black flag from the steward for dangerous riding. I can remember Alan Cunnynghame getting into all sorts of steward trouble when he used dirt track style cornering lines on his Honda CR250 against the one line wonders back in the 70's. It got them that heated that it made headlines in Revs and AMCN.  The officials barred him in the end. Shawn Giles copped criticism as well but showed them all how it's done on his CR500.
Sorry for the thread highjack but the pink frame got me wound up. ;D
I raced a short stroke Manx for a while and got into all sorts of trouble for exactly the same thing.

Tony T

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »
Mac Park at Mt. Gambier was always a good track for the 'chookies'.  ;D

I've even got a shot of some guy on a Can-Am road racing there........... somewhere........  :-\