Author Topic: So just how powerful are these CR500s ??  (Read 11768 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
So just how powerful are these CR500s ??
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:07 pm »
By all accounts these are animals of things ?  I've heard the 85 is a beast - thanks Hoony.  Was looking at acquiring an 84 (just don't tell the missus).
I've got a YZ465H and it doesn't scare me too much (although I have had a few "moments").  Just how much more powerful are these beasts :-\.

Note - light hearted topic.  Hijack to your hearts content  ;)
Ted, please not too much crap about the KX500  ;D ;D ;D ;D :P
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: So just how powerful are these CR500s ??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »
you'll be fine Tony,
just roooll the throttle on slooowly.... ;D
have ridden a few CR500's around MX tracks and they were much easier to ride than i first expected or thought.
and thats coming from a 125 rider.
listen to the voice in you're head Tony,
BUY IT NOW! ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:38 pm »
No worries Mick.  If I listened to the voices in my head I'd be in big trouble  :o :o :o
Thanks again for the lend of your cool bikes at CD8 too 8) 8).  I had a HEAP of fun on both of them.  I'm back in the sunshine state from Christmas time in Rocky, so hope to make a few meets at BMCC and bring some bikes to CD  8)
YZ Hilly said he rode Hoony's and it was a beast.  Just a blip on the throttle and the front wheel is aiming at the sky ... Sounds interesting ;D

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

mainline

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »
I think it's a bloody fantastic idea Tony, go buy the thing! Something else to have a go on at the next CD

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:00:38 pm »
That's what I was thinkin too  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »
The dyno curve I saw from a late model one was pretty dismal -  peak power was OK, but it was all over in no time. Was a genuine Service Honda AF.

87 KX500 with a leaky base gasket had a much better delivery...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:20:47 pm »
Yeah Nathan, I was probably thinking the earliest model  ;D
KX 500 info is interesting though.  I don't have my heart set, was just kinda thinkin  ::)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
The KX is apparently much harder to ride fast it has way to much grunt off idle where the CR has a rising power curve with delivery more linear in relation to throttle opening. The torque curve says it all KX has peak torque at 3000 the CR closer 5500.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »
The CR dyno curve I saw was all over by 5500. nobody seemed to think there were and dramas with it's health or state of tune!?
The two KX5s I've ridden (both 87 model motors) had very nice power delivery - mine is almost soft off the bottom, making it stupidly easy to ride, and seems to howl for a big bore (I get scared before I can prove the point).
The 91(?) CR500 I rode was a lot tougher off the bottom and definitely didn't rev as hard.

....and I think that's exhausted my input to this topic...  :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »
CR500 will walk all over YZ465, they can really rev out
formerly Marc.com

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:50:54 am »
Have ridden CR500 and CRE500 and they are nice. After hoping off the '78 RM400 straight onto the CR's they felt so smooth and cushy and something I could easily get used to. Probably wouldn't make me go any faster but they do everything so much easier that I didn't want to give them back :'(

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 08:04:16 am »
Ok heres my take on my 85' CR500.

i reckon the "beast" thing is a myth, yes they have a real strong engine and the 68 hp thing has been "claimed" many times but i reckon its a great engine, anyone that rides/has ridden a big bore knows you don't need top end as you should mostly be short shifting in the mid range area anyway. you don't need to rev a big bore out, that's for 125's and 250's which demand a different style of riding. i have offered many experienced older riders rides which knocked the offer back only to hear " it's way too much for me" i say "it's up to you how fast you go" and that's true of every bike.

i love mine and there is only a few times it has given me moments when it has hooked up when i didn't expect it, over all on most tracks it tends to spin the rear rather that haul the front skyward. if you didn't need to get from the pits to the line you could take out first gear as mine is a 3rd gear start on most tracks depending on the drive away from the gate, it pulls it easy ( most 5 spd big bores will anyway)

mines a stock engine except for wiseco piston and pro-circuit pipe, i rode an 88' model that had lots of other gear on it ( v force reeds, porting, pipe etc) and i found it way too punchy & harsh for me.

YZ250H and others happy to let you have a spin any time, just ask me if you like.

Brad has posted a similar take on his 85' before as well sometime back.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:08:38 am by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:07:00 am »
You'll be allright, if your already used to the 465, there won't be a big difference in power, and braking will be improved :)
Problems arise when a career 125 pilot hops on one for the first time and think they need to ride it like a 125.
Ahhh, brings back memories of Doug Sharples on his 465 at Nudgee all those years ago....got that on video some where.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 08:13:18 am »
Evo, that's not where Doug flipped it and cartwheeled down the straight is it?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 09:39:30 am »
Problems arise when a career 125 pilot hops on one for the first time and think they need to ride it like a 125.

Yeah, have to admit to doing that initially when I first got the 465.

Sounds like a goer  8)