Author Topic: New Vintage MX track in Victoria  (Read 8206 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: New Vintage MX track in Victoria
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »
Thanks to Stevo17 for your help today; first rider to ever ride around the new track, riding his '84 KX250.

Now I think we need a quantity turn-out of volunteers for a track clean-up.  The layout is complete, major obstacles have been cleared off.

The complex Manager advised that if we have a morning working bee, we can ride for free in the arvo, so weather pending, maybe we can do something one day next weekend (10th or 11th)?

I find out tomorrow morning if the track is open for inclusion in the monthly Mega Ride Day ($35 if you have a race licence, another $20 if you don't) on Sat 17th of Sept.

Until some dust-control system can be implemented, it's probably best to let the weather call the best day for riding out there.

Trust me, YOU WILL LOVE RIDING ON THIS TRACK, it's about 2 kilometres long.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:18:10 pm by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »
Big thumbs up!! we got a couple of plumbers here if you need help! Cheers Jim
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »
Yep it is going to be a ripping track for all ages of bike and rider.  It is mostly grass track with a mix of fast flowing turns, hard braking corners, fast straights, natural terrain hills and a few off cambers.  We really need to get a few people out there to help clean the track of sticks and fill in a few stump holes (and the odd wombat hole ) lol.  Length wise I reckon it might be somewhere around the Monza track length or a bit longer.

Thanks John for all the effort that you have put in so far, and to John #2 for the great bobcat work.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 08:00:37 am »
Keep us posted on when the track working bee is on and hopefully we can all get down there and give you a chop out
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Viper65

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
Great work fellas - love it!

However, beware that all those low spots earlier this year (Feb - meant to be summer but it was more like winter!) when the Diamond Valley MCC ran a natural terrain mx there, rutted out and turned into the biggest bog holes.  It was hard enough to get through on my modern bike (RMZ450), let alone trying to get through on an old bike.

You might need to look at some sort of drainage before we try to ride it in the wet.  Talk to Martin Doxey who will remember the race day and the track conditions.  Best to put in some form of drainage before the track is finalised rather than once its laid down.

It will be great to have another track to ride - sounds like you guys are getting things moving and its not just talk! 

Suzuki RM370B, RM400C, RM400N, RM250D, RM250K, PE250 (82), KTM 250GS (81), KTM350GS (88), XR600 x 2, RMZ450 x 2 (07 and 012), KTM250 EXC, Gas Gas 125 (08), Gas Gas 250 (10) Trials & TTR125 and XR80 (82)
Author of Scooter News

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »
Great work fellas - love it!

However, beware that all those low spots earlier this year (Feb - meant to be summer but it was more like winter!) when the Diamond Valley MCC ran a natural terrain mx there, rutted out and turned into the biggest bog holes.  It was hard enough to get through on my modern bike (RMZ450), let alone trying to get through on an old bike.

You might need to look at some sort of drainage before we try to ride it in the wet.  Talk to Martin Doxey who will remember the race day and the track conditions.  Best to put in some form of drainage before the track is finalised rather than once its laid down.

It will be great to have another track to ride - sounds like you guys are getting things moving and its not just talk! 

Yep I've seen those boggy sections, I have planned to put some water catchment dams near there to hold any excess so it doesn't get so wet in Winter and hopefully we can then draw on it in Summer.  Thanks for your info.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.