Author Topic: Mr VMX 2011 Discussion  (Read 43505 times)

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Mr VMX 2011 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »
There is no one event in Australia that excludes under 30s that I am aware of in Australia which means under 30s have plenty of ride time inclusive of Classic national events and modern national events (to which we are excluded).

There is also no doubting some under 30s are keen on the vintage scene and enjoy there old bikes

Grid sizes are limited for this event and the decision was made by the committee to have en event for entrants over thirty, nothing sinister in that. It comes down to a numbers only and time restraints in getting through the meeting and if a rider like Gall or Gunter or any older good riders wanted to ride and were displaced by an under 30, where would be the merit in that for both sponsors and spectators.

If the event proves a winner for the future, then and only then may it be considered of intruducing classes for pre30 rides but would most likely need to be run then over two days

Personally I hope not, let us older guys have something for ourselves to enjoy, one event will not kill off VMX, this might even bring a few guys out who dont want to ride with the young guys, just maybe ;)
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

ted

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »
Thanks Turtle......Time constraints and grid sizes is fair enough

See ya there

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Firko/Johnny, there's a world of difference between the Frostys and the Jarrod Bs, and the 'guns for hire' (aka "17 year old lunatics").
There's a lot more of the Frostys than you probably realise - and they're typically the personality types that are going to listen to your comments and take them on board, whereas the "lunatics" are likely to ignore you and turn up anyhow...
I fully understand your position on the young guns on borrowed bikes, and 99% agree. But until the conversation acknowledges that many (possibly even the majority) of under 30yo riders do actually have a "legitimate" interest in the older bikes, the conversation will continue to go in circles.

The collary to all of this, is:
If VMX really is about 30+ yo riders on the bikes they rode in their heyday (typically late teens~mid-20s), then pre-95 VMX racing is already well overdue.... ;)

-----------

Back to the MrVMX meeting - I assumed that their O35s only rule was about keeping out the hired guns. My immediate thought was Dougy P, who is an old bike nut like the rest of us, and is doing quite well in the Retro pointscore but will be excluded from racing...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

Back to the MrVMX meeting - I assumed that their O35s only rule was about keeping out the hired guns. My immediate thought was Dougy P, who is an old bike nut like the rest of us, and is doing quite well in the Retro pointscore but will be excluded from racing...

It reads over 30 not over 35, and surely Dougy is over 30, he couldnt be under thirty and be that ugly ;D

Regardless, it is a one off event run in conjunction with Hunter MCC which we hope to be annual event and will not please all. When a rider turns 30, they will qualify as it currently stands and those are the rules.It will give them something to strive for, Grid size and time restraints are the issue.

Invitations have been sent to East coast clubs so possibility of being held elsewhere is strong. We just need to gauge the first meeting by attendance and interest from the community in general

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:22:40 AM by Turtle.Inc »
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
Wondering what the two age groups would be eg.30-45, 45-plus, or would this be based on ages of the entries for each era. The mention of a one off event is obviously not the focus as perpetual trophy is mentioned, does this mean the event would always be at the same place. ???

Taka 100

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »
maybe its designed to focus on the actual riders of that era , the heydays of mr mx because it wasnt about the bikes back then and what year they were made in , it was the riders and this might just drag out some of the actual riders from those events back in that time frame who just like to meet up with some or their old adversaries / teams mates / and support riders, only a thought ? cant see anything wrong with enticing those riders back onto the grid ;) see yah there i will have my marking pen out and getting some memorbilia, forgot to get it back then too busy riding in the events.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »
To be totally honest, I tend to think that for this "one off" event, over 30 isn't old enough either.    :o

It's a fine line, annoying the young ones who, in all probablility, are the future of VMX competition, whilst trying to foster the older riders to continue racing.  For me, I'd be leaning towards the latter group, because the younger group has an event such at the Australia Classic MX titles to strut their stuff.

No doubt the organisers have attempted to "strike a balance" between old (possibly less riders) and young (more riders) and have decided U30 is it.

There is no doubt however that it is a great idea and has the potential to turn into a annual feature event for the sport of VMX, alongside the Aussie Titles, the Conondale Classic, Classic Dirt and other similar well known events.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »

It reads over 30 not over 35, and surely Dougy is over 30, he couldnt be under thirty and be that ugly ;D

Indeed, over30.
You're right - he's plenty ugly, but I'm pretty sure he's still in his twenties.
If ugliness relates to getting older, you must be about 150 years old, Turtle. 
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline crbigbanger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
What I hate is the young blokes that race VMX because they can't cut it with the modern bikes. I gave up racing the modern bikes because of the young ones with that win at all cost attitude. Jack

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
VMX'rs
Just a couple of quick notes about the event.

The brief for this event was to keep it simple and to be a bit different to the other VMX events that are happening across our wide brown land. Along with this was the notion of getting back to "where it all started" with what was undoubtedly the most prestigious event on the motocross calendar.

Unsure of how the event would be recieved or supported ( by number of entries ), we decided to have a one day format with limited grids and the age restraint in place for the first event. The success of this first event will determine where the event goes to in the future. Who knows, maybe it will turn into a multiple round series across a number of states but we need to crawl before we run , hence how we have arrived at our current format. We are hoping that the event becomes "bigger than Ben Hur". We wanted to get at least four rounds of racing in for each era in the one day, hence why we have limited the number of entries to one full grid.

The fact is that we will not be able to please 100% of the VMX community with the format,( so I invite "constructive" critiscism to be emailed to myself at dantydd@gmail.com) . We have to start somewhere so please understand that there has been quite a lot of discussion, planning, thought and time put in by a number of VMX enthusiasts to get to the point where we can make this event happen.
So please, if you would like to see this event format succeed (as much as we do ), the best way to do it is get your entries in from September 1 and then bring yourself and as many supporters as you can along to the event and help relive the glory days of Aussie MX.

Cheers
Dan

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
I for one think it's a great format you've laid out and i hope it's successfull.. it would be great to see it grow into a multi round series.
I'm keen to ride it and i think it's just what VMX needs.

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
Thanks Dan for putting everyone on the same page. Pre 75's might have to hang on tight by the end of the day and wear two kidney belts cos slowing down is not an option. Hope its well supported by the legends to help the memories come flooding back.

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
The plan is for the track to be quickly groomed before the Pre 75 era gets back onto the track.

Offline Toolboy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
" Is the Pre 80's class for pre 80's bikes. Or is it Evo regs where we chase those darn 82 490 Maico's around the track"

Tim

82 RM250Z
79 RM400N
76 RM370A
74 TM400L
05 M50 Boulevard
1986 RM80G
1974 RV125
1994 DS80
2005 JR50

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
" Is the Pre 80's class for pre 80's bikes. Or is it Evo regs where we chase those darn 82 490 Maico's around the track"

Tim

I'm reading it as pre '80 not Evo so there'll be no '81 Maico's..