Author Topic: Quick Shades,The good,bad & the ugly  (Read 4909 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Quick Shades,The good,bad & the ugly
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »
I am in the market for a quick shade,whats everyone else using,are you happy with it,brought from where & how much :)

SPANISH ARMADA

Re: Quick Shades,The good,bad & the ugly
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »
smed got one from rays outdoor brought the deluxe one for and xtra fifty $250 they r a little stronger go and check them out next time in shepp happy so far but need to ensure its pegged down properly once the wind gets them thats it.You can buy more expensive  cheers chris

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »
You can't go past the Oztrail ones from BCF for around $200. Had heaps of use from mine, well made, strong and no problems

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »
Its as they say "you get what you pay for". I have found around $250 you will get somthing ok. $150 will get you s#$t. $500 will get you somthing you will never replace, unless YOU destroy it.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »
You can't go past the Oztrail

Parts are in QldOz too...
Tie them down and they last forever...  8)
Unless you bought an old TPEE style for 1000$ back in the day -the yellow and blu stripes..they are still set up now and then around pit lane - the good gear :P
cheers A

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:14:23 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:13 am »
+1 for the Oztrail.

$200 from BCF. Had mine for about 5 years now and never had a problem with it.

Cheers
Shaun

Taka 100

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:03:01 pm »
the oz trail is good 
but in my observations the 'outdoor connection' product seems a litttle more robust in the same value area
1stly.. i can put it up myself.

2ndly.. I have used one of these for about 4 years cost about $250 then and it gets dragged around in vehicles, on roof racks  , to the beach to the bush been in mini cyclones, below zero and above 30 temps , used as stand alone and annexes it has been used on an average of 4-5 times a month,  the bag is a little stuffed but zips are heavy duty and still ok , and it has roller wheels on bag and a place for your ropes and pegs

3rdly ..the trick is have it set up so that when you get really bad weather you quickly lower the roof and you can crawl under there, or just to protect your gear , and have a couple of silver tarps the same widith as the size a the roof and zip tie them on , but only half way down if you have to drop the roof.

I am a very happy camper and do not have any connection with the sale of this product , I just went on what the camping store owner told me and he was right , not just spinning for a sale

The local boardriders club have been using  the $1500 ones and only get about the same life outa them.

I hope this helps , branchy

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:18:39 pm »
silicone spray the sliding parts as well works a treat

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »
I bought an unknown brand quickshade for $300 off eBay about 7 years ago and it's still doing its job beautifully. It's got a couple of tears in the nylon that I've duct tape repaired and its faded a bit but overall it's still AOK. Other than the tears and the carry bag self destructing it's been a great buy.
My first shade was one of those spindly $150 green jobbies from Bunnings which lasted exactly one Classic Dirt and one 21st birthday party before the frame self destructed the third time out. You most definitely get what you pay for so make sure the frame tubing is as heavy duty as you can get, those elCheapo shades have frames made from paper thin conduit that bends at the first gust of wind. Check the thickness of the nylon as well. The cheapies are made from thin material while the good'uns seem to be made from similar stuff to riding pants. Mine is one of only two black quickshades that I've noticed over the years, most seem to be blue, green or red.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:05:06 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

ted

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
If you want the best buy Altegra, 60mm hexagonal legs in brushed aluminium with cast aluminium fittings.Super thick bags with no bullshit wheels. Every part is available to buy.Pricey, yes ...look at around $ 1,000.00 ( including walls ) for a 3mtr x 3mtr . They are the only shade i have seen where they strap a bike to the roof and suspend it.

Sure others are way cheaper but you really do get what you pay for with shades...The biggest tip is to tie them down properly

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »
You've got the Taj Matrailer now so what do you need a quickshade for??  You should sell it to me for $100  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

ted

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:06:03 pm »
OK...i`ve got 2 . So how about 2K

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
Try 'Greys-on-line ' for a look. Be amazed and get one like Club Kevlar cheap.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 06:59:25 pm »
Bought a genuine QuickShade out of QLD nearly 15 years ago.....still very strong and looks good..use it every race day..even been away on holidays..at saturday junior footy ..the lot..well worth the $1500 paid back then...,,that old saying about getting what you pay for.. :)

Taka 100

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »
I bought a girl a drink for $2 it was called the Zar's Blood in 1973 ,(pm for recipe - no charge)and you guessed it she in front of the fire right now watching TV , get what you pay for that is not entirley correct you can take that either way

buy what you can afford

or just be vain buy by colour

shit i better get off this computer here she comes with my Zar's Blood ...................