Author Topic: Not vintage track but dirt track  (Read 2244 times)

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Not vintage track but dirt track
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:25:27 pm »
Just want wish eveyone who's heading to Canberra this weekend for the Austrailan Senior DirtTrack Championships (moderns) a safe trip and safe racing hope the weathers not to cold i hate the cold.
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Not vintage track but dirt track
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:23:03 am »
one thing worse than cold steve, wet and cold, hope the rain goes away, has been here all week, off to the track this morning, elsie

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:33 pm »
Great meeting, Jace Castle won the big one, all the other finals were crackers with plenty of argi bargi.
In what must be a first for a national title in any form, the Banks family made a clean sweep of the places in the Sidecar final with Corey the winner, a brother second and their father third, a pretty bloody decent effort I reckon.
The big downer of the weekend was a serious high speed get off by young Jake Allen riding as a senior for the first time, Jake was also racing a 450 for the very first time and was well and truly on the pace having several heat wins and making all 4 finals.
Jake is the grandson of Dirt Track legend, Billy Mac and looks to have a massive future.
He left the track with a neck brace and on the board, precationary and I'll keep you posted when I hear from Billy.
Penrith MCC's Roy Gay rode well for a second in the Classic support class final, he had the lead for near half the race.
Well done to the Canberra club and if the Classic Titles are awarded to them I have no doubt it'll be another well run event.
P.S. Foss was on the ball with the starts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:52:03 pm by SlideRulz »

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:42 am »
Just spoke to Billy and the news is good.
No broken bones and just a bit of concussion and a slight laceration on a lung but Jake will be out of hospital today.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »
That's good news about young Jake, Slides, pass on Ea's and my best wishes, it was a huge off !!!

Well, what a couple of days, Saturday went off like clockwork, 24 practice classes, 3 x 24 divisions rounds of racing, then Sunday, 1 round, repecharges and then the finals, day was slowed down by prangs and protests but it doesn't get more serious in Oz DT than the National Dirt Track Titles.

The finals !!!!, six and half laps, they were like Turn One all race long , no place for the faint hearted , cos the pace was super hot.

Saw quite a few legends from past eras in the pits which was great to see and caught up with Fotohound on his # 12 outfit , his first ride for many years.

The pre '85 Open Classics were hard fought races, 5 rounds, Jamie #266 YZ 490 won from Mark # 14 TT 500 2nd  and Roy # 8 Maico 3rd
Roy showing young Jamie the way for half the final race !! and Mark # 14 winning the wheelie off the start award !! great stuff lads

Classics lining up for an early round on Saturday, didn't have much time for photos as races were just rocketing through

A great weekend finished off by watching an ex OZ Dirt Tracker showing the worlds best road racers a clean pair of heels !! Onya Casey
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:14:57 am »
Fotohound sent out this pic, amongst others, of the first lap of the final round of the pre 85 Classics at the Modern Nats

Pre 1985 classics put on a really good show of racing - they should be the main support class . 490 Maico leads 490 YZ how good ehh !!
The caption is Fotohound's

Foss

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:40:17 am by JAP 454 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »
I think this must be a first in Aussie Motorcycling history, four members of one family on the podium for an individual Aussie Title, the 1100cc Dirt Track Sidecars, Corey Banks won the title with Tom Banks in the chair, Brad Banks was runner-up with Ian Hamilton  as passenger and their father, Greg Banks, with Ken Dale as  passenger, was in third place.

Greg’s comment after the presentation “ I must have taught them too well “

L to r Ian Hamilton, Brad Banks, Tom Banks, Corey Banks, Greg Banks, Ken Dale

Corey and Tom with the Duke of Edinburgh award, the old fella grinnin !!

Great stuff and Corey really knows how to pedal his Pre 85? XL 500 around as well

Pix by Fotohound aka Trevor Harvey
Foss
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:49:59 pm by JAP 454 »