Author Topic: A 'little' different  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
A 'little' different
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
Whilst it never made it down here, full size 50cc MX in Europe was standard practice in years gone by. The vintage 50cc mx is still popular as a fun class. Rules for 50cc vintage racing are simple, twin-shock, aircooled drumbrakes and pre-84. What parts or bikes or combination of either you decide to use is of personal preference so long as it falls within the above rules. A Facebook friend of mine is Christer Jansson of Sweden who runs the http://www.classic50mx.com/ site. He recently sent me a couple of pictures of his latest bike which he raced only last weekend. Some might see it as sacrilegious but no matter, the point is they have a ball riding these tiddlers. Being of small stature personally and having a bit of an affinity for sub 100cc bikes, I'd like to have a go at building myself something outside the square in the not too distant future. Top picture is Christers bikes he's just finished, a Puch 50 in a modified RM125N chassis with '83 model wheels, '77 RM125 tank and Maico plastics. Second picture is his friends bike, simply an RM50 in an RM100 chassis. Christer wanted a 6 speed box hence they went in different directions with the builds. The last pic is from the US, something for which I have all the ingredients being a slightly modded TS50 using some RM80 parts. A woftam to some perhaps but I certainly wouldn't mind any of them taking up space in my garage ;)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: A 'little' different
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:06 am »
I like the idea of a 100cc class here as long as Honda's are not allowed. It seem to be such a fun class in the states.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:57 am »
There was both a modern Beta 50 and a watercooled DT50 at Harrow this year. Didn't see either of them in action, though.

While the idea of racing an 80 appeals to me, I think my beer belly might be a bit much for a 50...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:06 am »
I'm mostly a lover of open class bikes but have to admit that these little tiddlers are sweet. A friend has a Kreidler 50cc road racer and it's a minature work of art.
I like the idea of a 100cc class here as long as Honda's are not allowed. It seem to be such a fun class in the states. 
Marty Tripes 100cc class looks to be going gangbusters in the USA. I still believe it'd work here but after the cyber race overload from when I proposed it a couple of years ago I reluctantly admit it's not going to happen here. Perhaps with the splitting of the Nats we might now have space for the 100 class at the big meetings.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »
The bikes that fit into the 100cc class would be cool even Suzuki 90 Honcho's and Kawa KT 100 and the Sachs powered 100cc bikes the list would be endless and cool.
If the rules were just a suspension limit air cooled drum brake it would be very open. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

xrBarf

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »
Love the little bikes and loved racing them against the big bikes a few years back in the VCMR. It would be a great class and would sure bring out some weird things that normally wouldn't get a guensey at a race meeting. Yes mine is a Honda and i say bring it on.....

TooFastTim

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »
Great idea. Most fun I ever had was racing a 125 in enduros when others said it couldn't be done. Tiddlers would be fun and need lots of technique (none of this "grabbing a handful" stuff).

Love that little RM!

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:52 pm »
Great idea. Most fun I ever had was racing a 125 in enduros when others said it couldn't be done. Tiddlers would be fun and need lots of technique (none of this "grabbing a handful" stuff).

Love that little RM!

Tim you must move in different circles mate :) they have been racing 125s in enduros forever  ;)

TooFastTim

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »
Yeah, this was in South Africa Bill where they had a funny idea that it had to be at least a 200. That guys like Paul Edmundson in Europe were as fast a greased lightning on a 125 seemed to have escaped them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:18:19 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:00 pm »
Japanese VMX runs up to 50cc 2 stroke and 100cc 4 stroke class, it is run on a 1 hour endurance format and is the biggest class and total hooter.

Variety of bikes is huge, the whole rainbow from long travel monkey bikes, the predicatble XRs, Peewees and anything else that is considered in the spirit. No big complicated dramas, it is treated as learner and beginner class ... you could probably run later XR if you bought one along.

formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »
Yeah, this was in South Africa Bill where they had a funny idea that it had to be at least a 200. That guys like Paul Edmundson in Europe were as fast a greased lightning on a 125 seemed to have escaped them.

Remember Shane Watts won the 6 Days outright on his KTM125. Should have seen him in the forest - just magic - I can still remember the sound. Then to rub salt into the wounds he had the fastest time for the final motocross - beating Joel Smets et al.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:53 pm »

Remember Shane Watts won the 6 Days outright on his KTM125. Should have seen him in the forest - just magic - I can still remember the sound. Then to rub salt into the wounds he had the fastest time for the final motocross - beating Joel Smets et al.

I read some interview with Shane, about that time he had spent a year in Europe living at the back of a workshop in Italy, only riding , training and eating cheap pasta. I think he didn't even bother changing tyres for the whole enduro.He's as hard as nails.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:05:32 am »

I read some interview with Shane, about that time he had spent a year in Europe living at the back of a workshop in Italy, only riding , training and eating cheap pasta. I think he didn't even bother changing tyres for the whole enduro.He's as hard as nails.

Yeah Lozza,
The euros couldn't work him out. An aussie with no cash sleeping in a swag at race meetings.

But he did change tires during the Six Days, I watched a number of his work periods - makes my workshop time look like I am standing still- he even did a top end [just to be sure] at the end of day 4 during the 10 minute allowance.

Great stuff.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:52 am »
A Facebook friend of mine is Christer Jansson of Sweden who runs the http://www.classic50mx.com/
If you go to Doc's mates site and click on 50cc in the menu the photos are brilliant .
So many different bikes. :)
Check out the 5th one down in the MX section.
Flat track , speedway ?
Rubber bands ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:29:04 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Simo63

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:57:16 am »
If you go to Doc's mates site and click on 50cc in the menu the photos are brilliant .
So many different bikes. :)
Check out the 5th one down in the MX section.
Flat track , speedway ?
Rubber bands ?

Did that .. awesome pics and some really trick looking bikes much to my surprise  8) 8)