Author Topic: Ken Wootton  (Read 2624 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Ken Wootton
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:44:02 pm »
Respected moto journalist Ken Wootton passed away last night. While I often didn't agree with everything he wrote....the bugger could sure write. godspeed mate.

Australian motojourno icon Ken Wootton passed away overnight

-- Statement from AMCN

It is with great sadness that AMCN this morning learnt of the passing of ex-AMCN Editor, Ken Wootton.

The “Woose” was holidaying in Europe, where he passed away in his sleep on Sunday, 24 July in Czechoslovakia.

Ken will be sadly missed across the motorcycling world, as his reach and achievements were enormous. He was the man who set AMCN on its successful modern course, sat in the editor seat at Motorcycle Trader, possessed an incredible motorcycling and Australian road-racing knowledge no-one can rival, helped many Australian road racers on their path to success and tested all genres of motorcycles.

He achieved a lot in his too-short 57 years, and has left some massive shoes to fill. Everyone at AMCN is thinking of his sister Karen, and all those who knew the Woose. He was a real character of Australian Motorcycling and will be missed around the motorcycling world.

Sam Maclachlan
Editor
AMCN

-- Trev's Note

Ken was the journalist I spent the most time with during my early days in this business, right back to when I started mcnews.com.au in 1999. Actually, KW's history goes back so far that virtually every Australian motorcycling scribe has spent the majority of his/her formative years in the presence of KW, in one form or another.

For most of the previous decade we shared the media centre at every round of the Australian Superbike Championship. For most of that time, we were the only pair of scribes in attendance at the rounds. Along with photographers Arthur Thornton and Keith Muir this was essentially the entire media contingent and from the Friday morning through to the Sunday evening, we were subjected to each others' acerbic wit. But we were certainly not in the same skill grade of cutting remarks as Ken. Ken and I shared a similar sense of humour, so where others often found offence I almost always saw the joke. Although it must be said he sometimes could shock even me!

Due to being self-employed, I never had to work for Ken directly, which - due to his famously tireless work ethic - I am quite grateful for!

I did, however, write material on a freelance basis for AMCN many years ago under the pseudonym 'Vert Bush', which Ken had given me as a play on my real name, partly due to his quirky sense of humour and partly because of the need to not link AMCN with MCNEWS.COM.AU.

In those earlier days some people believed MCNEWS.COM.AU was the web arm of AMCN and due to the somewhat closed and guarded nature of the bike journo circle, some in this industry wished me ill will. I heard from several sources that at that time, KW more often than not actually defended what I was trying to do with MCNEWS.COM.AU in what were the pioneering days of reporting motorcycle news via the web. I believe Ken also perhaps played a role in helping to stave off potential legal challenges that could have come my way.  Thus, I do have plenty to thank Ken for.

I will miss him and his cutting remarks. Over the years I developed a genuine affection for the man I jokingly dubbed the Eddie McGuire of the motorcycle industry. His attendance at almost every motorcycle media event in the country was a given, as either a reporter or master of ceremonies. And of course the tireless assistance he has given to the Australian Superbike Championship over the years, and racers alike, largely for free, is beyond measure.

It is rare for someone in our business to be given genuine respect, and KW had plenty of detractors, but even amongst those detractors I believe most still held a grudging respect for the biggest figure in Aussie moto-journalism. I can't see there being another like him. RIP.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Harry

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Wootton
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »
Yes very sad and a great loss, as you said I didn't agree with a lot of what he said either but he headed the mag for a long time and it was and is a great mag.

Harry

STW996

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:22:15 pm »
Well this is a great shock! was only just reading his story in motorcycle trader about his ride across the Nullarbor on a Harley and how he was looking forward to doing it again.

Goes to show you need to keep doing the things you enjoy every week as you don't know what's round the corner.

God speed Ken.

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:53:44 pm »
wow.................................. I never knew the Woose personally, but years of reading AMCN, it feels like one of the family has gone :'(. RIP.

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:02:19 pm »
Well this is a great shock! was only just reading his story in motorcycle trader about his ride across the Nullarbor on a Harley and how he was looking forward to doing it again.

Goes to show you need to keep doing the things you enjoy every week as you don't know what's round the corner.

God speed Ken.

RIP Ken.

i read that article too Shano.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
The blue hat , drove me mad for the time I spent looking in amcn for it .RIP Ken always enjoyed your work .
Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

geoff22

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »
RIP Ken. Your support of young road racers was one of many things you can be proud of. From the late 80's and early 90's you where the man that got young riders a chance on competitive machines with the running of AMCN win a ride competition for hartwell club's stars of tomorrow meeting(Troy Corser being the first winner ). Always happy to write a reference for a young racer chasing sponsors or spend time on the phone giving advise. Most of all you will be missed for your sense of humor and professionalism towards your job.
God speed
Geoff Hardcastle

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:11 pm »
Geez sad news RIP Ken. Does anyone have any more details?

Funny you mention the 'Win a Ride" competition Geoff as I wrote to AMCN(mid 90) giving Ken a serve after he wrote in his regular 'Raceline' column that privateers were an unprofessional lot. A few letters in subsequent editions agreed with me that he was a bit harsh and a privateer had enough on his plate and unlikely to know what a press release was anyway.Next issue they announced the Win a Ride competition that Troy Corser won(the late Kirk McCarthy was also a winner). Ken was the prime mover in getting the 250 Production championship on the program with the Shell Superbike Series.That series unearthed the who's who of road racing.

Ken also had some good stoushes, notably was with ex-bucket racer Jason 'blouse' Bailey who bad mouthed Ken's riding, he actualy nicked and burnt the famous blue hat at the Bucket Nats at Oran Pk, over the next year Ken chronicled Blouse's failures on a minute level and never failed to rub it in brilliant stuff.
I'll even forgive him for nicking a story about the Honda Collection Hall/Demonstration Days at Motegi.
GodSpeed
Ken Wootton
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Does anyone have any more details?
Apparently he died of a heart attack in his sleep in a hotel in the Czech Republic.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha