Author Topic: and teach your children well  (Read 8881 times)

Doc

and teach your children well
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:51:42 pm »
Some no doubt would have seen this and others would have heard but watch it anyway..

I found after about 5 seconds I couldn't drag myself away till the end.

we all worry about the odd break or gash but this serves to remind us other things, in a instant, can reshape our and others lives forever. Play safe kids!  ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gcSuV6sh_F4&feature=related

late edit, just watched it again..now I don't swear much online or in public but this is so forking sad..I am so glad it 'is' mandatory nowdays!!  I agree 100% with what Danny says, trailbikes, MX, quads, pitbikes, any bikes it doesn't matter what. First thing to learn is safety above all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:57:07 pm by Doc »

firko

Re: and teach your children well
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:57:30 pm »
Despite the sadness of Danny Chandlers situation, his message is just so important. If anybody can be the poster child for motocross safety it's Magoo Chandler. He rode at 110% and will be paying the price for the rest of his life.
By making it mandatory for juniors to wear neck braces, shoulder pads and perhaps knee braces we would be getting the kids used to having to wear the stuff so that by the time they're adults it'll be as natural as putting on a helmet or wearing a seat belt.
I had a friend who became a quadraplegic in a speedway accident. Overnight he went from being a fit, strong and very independant individual to being reliant on outside help for everything from wiping his arse to being fed. His wife left him, he lost his business after his business partner milked the accounts dry and eventually lost his house and everything he held dear in this world. After a few years it all became too much for him and he took an overdose of pain killers. It's a crook story but if stories like his and Magoos are taken on board by more riders and they start using neck braces, lives will be saved. It's that simple.

gator

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »
Mum;s and dad;s would buy Leatts neck brace;s if they were'nt so forken dear >:( all about the dollar
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:02:28 pm by gator »

Doc

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »
just in case by some minute microscopic unimaginabley slim chance you never knew who Danny Chandler was here's a classic.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEyWgyQOKg&feature=related

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:50:52 am »
I never knew Magoo was as bad as he is. Still it is great to see him still involved and enjoying bikes.

eno

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:43 am »
Thanks for posting that one Dr, good to see he's got a few projects out back. Yeah I increasingly feel that racing motorbikes is not the smartest thing to be doing. The smart thing to do is like he says to focus on safety.

I have no neck brace, wear open face helmet, have body armour - whilst it has shoulder shields I feel that they offer little help, wear orthopedic sort of back brace belt, Knee pads - not braces, it's my boots that give the greatest confidence.

There is one other thing I do for protection, it's a saying; "Discretion is greater than valour."

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:57:27 pm »
Mum;s and dad;s would buy Leatts neck brace;s if they were'nt so forken dear >:( all about the dollar

I don't know, is a child worth $600? I think it's something that has to be calculated into the price of the whole setup. Bike, helmet, boots, goggles,gloves pants, armour and neck brace.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
The neck brace - is there anyone on the forum who's used one but decided not to bother in future?
It's foreign to me so I'm undecided; and don't get me wrong - I can see the big picture but I'm chasing opinions of those who disagree with the item and why.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:39 pm »
IV'E USED A NECK BRACE SINCE LAST YEAR, A GOOD INVESTMENT, HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WEARING IT.
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:32:41 pm »
I wear an EVS neck roll, and will probably buy a Leatt at some stage too. I think it's well worth while, who wants to end up wrecked for life from a simple crash that went wrong? I am also keen to get some decent knee braces too...

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:21:45 am »
I have the EVS neck roll as does my 7 Year old daughter. I have tested mine & it worked great. A Friend of mine hit a tree on a quad wearing the EVS as well. She was bruised and battered but hear neck was fine, not even saw. Could of been luck, I put it down to the EVS neck roll. Any one want to buy a repaired TRX 250.

lms6201

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 02:35:24 pm »
i,ll take some more info on the neck braces pls people , photo,s , a good supplier ,brand , ect ,  details pls

Doc

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:10:26 pm »
Yup..I never gave neck rolls much thought till I watched the vid but now I am most interested..seems the older I get the more self preservation becomes the main issue. Cost permitting I'd like to try one at least.

gator

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:56:47 pm »
Better a collar bone then a NECK. Alpinestar have a neck brace now .

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:21 pm »
Of course everyone would like to have the best of everything unfortunately not many can get the best of everything so it's a comprimise between what you can afford and what you want .I did a mx training school last year and no mention of neck braces , It is new technology and with a big crew riding ,very hard to fit into the budget . My daughter was involved in crash at the dirt track yesterday and while talking to the other kid involved ,checking that he was ok after a cartwheel ,there was a mark on his collar where he landed on the back of his neck ,no damage this time but obviously there could have been so i will shopping for the kids this week and it will be for a neck roll type like the EVS one i think !!.Has anyone seen the Alpinstar  brace ??.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436