Author Topic: The Infamous Vern Grayson Cheney Triumph Case  (Read 35424 times)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The Infamous Vern Grayson Cheney Triumph Case
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 09:35:24 pm »
Hi Freaky,sent my entry --re your reply 29, I'll bring my twinport to follow the Pre65 field which gives you a championship class.
On the main thrust of this thread, I'll show you some Cheney photos when I see you.

mx250

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
I just read the story on the controversy - it brought tears to my eyes :'(.

Tears of frustration :-[. Without wishing to appear to take sides I can't blame Vern for turning his back on the sport.

It's a sad state of affairs when we can't get issues like this sorted amicable and without resorting to the legal eagles.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:06 pm »
by the way did Vern win everything on this miracle machine ?, tell me there was some point to the whole Chimps Tea Party.

Nice article Firko, I think it is very cool bike regardless of the shock position being 1/4" out.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:15 pm »
Marc you bra cups dont match, please address this matter...........
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 06:15:04 am »

you know how it is Freaky.... I was young and it was the fashion at the time, like splat nylons and kiss mark seat covers
formerly Marc.com

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 07:10:42 am »
by the way did Vern win everything on this miracle machine ?, tell me there was some point to the whole Chimps Tea Party.

Nice article Firko, I think it is very cool bike regardless of the shock position being 1/4" out.

Vern won the pre 65 class in SA in the mid 90's , anyone who raced wheel to wheel with Vern will tell yeah he was bloody fast regardless of the bike.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 08:55:03 am »
may know some one who is looking for an old hoggly

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
definatly interested

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:56 am »

you know how it is Freaky.... I was young and it was the fashion at the time, like splat nylons and kiss mark seat covers

I have some fluro splat style MX pants in 34" if your interested in reliving old times.  (And no thats not with me sorry)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:42:45 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2011, 11:06:43 am »
by the way did Vern win everything on this miracle machine ?,
Vern won the pre 65 class in SA in the mid 90's
Vern won the pre 65 class at the Tanunda Nats in '95 with no protests whatsoever. He competed in and won a lot of non championship meets throughout the following year and then, at the '96 Nats at Barrabool he was greeted with a well orchestrated protest which excluded him from the class which carried on for the next two years. The bike's hardly been seen since as Vern moved on to other pursuits and to care for his extremely ill wife Averil.
The only result from the whole saga was that many potential pre 65 punters were frightened off by the kerfuffle and the class saw no appreciable growth during the following 15 years. With the pre 65 class frame requirements being opened to allow a wider choice, the future of the class is looking so bright I've gotta wear shades ;D.

A quick review of what's currently in the pre 65 build stage that I know of.  There are a couple more that are in the pre construction planning stage as well.
* Mojo made Arthur Harris framed G85 Matchless.
* 1959 Monark 500 GP (pre 60)
* Triumph 500 unit framed Mk4 Metisse
* Triumph 500 unit framed Sprite
* 250 Maico oval barreled Sprite
* ESO unit Metisse (Red Betty)
* Pre unit Triumph 500 Metisse
* Swedish HVM framed big fin Royal Enfield 500 Fury 
* Egon Gustafson framed unit ESO
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:16:32 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »
A quick review of what's currently in the pre 65 build stage that I know of.  There are a couple more that are in the pre construction planning stage as well.
* Mojo made Arthur Harris framed G85 Matchless.
* 1959 Monark 500 GP (pre 60)
* Triumph 500 unit framed Mk4 Metisse
* Triumph 500 unit framed Sprite
* 250 Maico oval barreled Sprite
* ESO unit Metisse (Red Betty)
* Pre unit Triumph 500 Metisse
* Swedish HVM framed big fin Royal Enfield 500 Fury 
* Egon Gustafson framed unit ESO

Just the sound of those on the grid would be enough!!!!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »
I have some fluro splat style MX pants in 34" if your interested in reliving old times.  (And no thats not with me sorry)

yes 34" is living the old times like 21 year old times that will never come again.

Well i predict an upswing of interest in pre 65 .... its a bit the same with road racing where some younger guys are caught up in the image of the era and just want the look and sound of pre 65 bike. Be bice to see the b44 out there similar to the UK for more variety and for the guys who can't budget an ESO.

I mean the BSA Victim is still a great affordable option and makes up a lot of the field at British Only race meetings.  3-4 grand will find you a good servicable B44.
formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:54 pm »
Be bice to see the b44 out there similar to the UK for more variety and for the guys who can't budget an ESO.
Unfortunately Marc, even though the pre 65 frame choices have been broadened to allow more scope for punters wanting to enter the class, the B44 BSA is still on the outer. Even though the three commissioners are friends and have done a stellar job, this is one point in the class rules that I disagree with. Sure, the B44 didn't hit the shops until after the Easter 1965 Earls Court Show but the legally accepted Matchless G85CS wasn't released until 1966. Another example is the acceptance of MK 4 Bully Boattails and RT1 Yamahas into pre '70 even though they weren't released until after the cutoff in 1970. By allowing the B44 into the fold we'd open the class to a bike that's accepted almost everywhere else in the classic motocross world.

The B44's not on the radar right now however so for the time being we probably should concentrate using to more open rules we've got to rebuild the class (along with pre 60 and pre '70) as they are the classic classes in the true sense of the word.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2011, 02:48:32 pm »
By allowing the B44 into the fold we'd open the class to a bike that's accepted almost everywhere else in the classic motocross world.

Yes we have been over this subject heaps of times, class needs an entry level bike, lets face it the big twins are not within everyones budget. What made me think about this was your list of pe 65 bikes under construction, lot of exotica but short of prepping a BSA Bantam there is not much choice if you are looking for a  no drama entry into pre 65 and lack the skills to assemble your own.

I mean I am sure the three amigos are friends and have done a stellar job, but they have not looked at the big picture.
formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:45 am »
A Mojo G85.  mmmm.  yum.  Some one has very good taste.  I would like to see that one come together.....