Author Topic: What is this thing called carbon tax?  (Read 79730 times)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What is this thing called carbon tax?
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:28 am »
thought I did, as I was getting nowhere in the Tech section ;D

it was my first and only post here as I'm desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

worms

forgot to say" well said firko!!!!!!,""""""""

Thanks mike and graham,now, if you dont both pass out from all this carbon, have either of you guys got a fax and could you fax it to me,

cheers again worms,

just off to de-carbonise my exhaust ;D

carbon? what carbon? just like having a claytons, sorry Nathan!! you wouldnt be old enough to know what a claytons is ;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:35:42 am by worms »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2011, 11:40:31 am »
Well said Mark....this shit is doing my head in.....I can fix a car or a bike because I can see it......I cant see carbon....BUT MY WALLET APARENTLY WILL.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
I can't see the HIV virus, but I know to avoid it.
I can't see electricity, but I know not to stick a fork into the powerpoint.

Sky is still up, despite our international banker mates' best efforts.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »
I can't see electricity, but I know not to stick a fork into the powerpoint.

Electricity is easy to see, it looks the same as smoke, stick a fork in a power point...you will see it!!
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »
"Australia must increase its carbon footprint!
If Australia is to enhance the biosphere and green the dead areas of the planet for future generations, it is imperative that we pump much larger quantities of carbon dioxide—the gas of life and a vital plant food—into the atmosphere over the immediate years ahead. While Australia’s emissions will initially make little overall difference to global atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration—being only 1.3 per cent of global anthropogenic emissions—over several decades and in concert with other nations, we can increase the total mass of life on earth. Working in our favour is the fact that this colourless, odourless gas will be an inevitable byproduct of the massive program of infrastructure development that we must undertake in the immediate future to rebuild from the current economic catastrophe.
After a generation of globalisation, our cities are stuck in traffic jams due to lack of transport infrastructure; we’ve experienced increasing water restrictions due to lack of water supply infrastructure; blackouts and brownouts occur at peak periods due to lack of electricity supply infrastructure, and the list goes on.
We need a massive rebuilding program and this will require lots of concrete, steel, aluminium and much more.
Cement, which is used in concrete as a binder, is made by heating limestone (calcium carbonate) in a kiln, in a process known as calcination. Carbon dioxide gas is liberated during calcination and kilns require lots of energy.
Iron, steel and aluminium production all require vast quantities of energy and until we establish a nuclear power industry, most of the power for metals production can only be efficiently generated from coal-fired power stations and other carbon-based fuels.
Many thousands of dump trucks, excavators, bulldozers, graders and other earthmoving equipment will be required to build dams, roads, railways, tunnels, bridges and whole new cities. Forget solar and wind power for an earthmover! They will be powered by diesel engines.
We won’t live in poverty and squalor as the greenies demand. We are going to rebuild our economy and provide a prosperous future for the coming generation.
Happily, this physical economic activity will add extra carbon dioxide to our atmosphere and assist the process of photosynthesis in plants. And with this economic expansion, we’ll also reduce air pollution by freeing up city traffic jams by building electric-powered magnetic levitation transport. Coal-fired power stations will continue to use electrostatic precipitators as they do now already, which removes particulate pollution from the chimney stacks.
Numerous scientific studies identify the benefits of increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, and since current concentration is only at around 390 ppm (parts per million)—in other words a mere 0.039 per cent of the atmosphere by volume, our natural environment is craving for more. For most of the last 600 million years of life on Earth, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration exceeded 1,000 ppm and much of the time, including during the era of the dinosaurs, concentration exceeded 2,000 ppm. To date, 31,487 scientists (9,029 with PhDs) have signed the Global Warming Petition Project debunking the theory of manmade global warming and adding that “there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.”
Australian scientist Professor Bob Carter spelt this out in the Sydney Morning Herald on 27th June: “Extra carbon dioxide helps to shrink the Sahara Desert, green the planet and feed the world. Ergo, carbon dioxide is neither a pollutant nor dangerous, but an environmental benefit.”
Numerous scientific studies also indicate that the oceans and sea life will prosper from any additional carbon dioxide. Enhanced nitrogen fixation has been experimentally observed in waters exposed to high levels of carbon dioxide. Studies have also identified that elevated carbon dioxide levels boost iron’s positive impact on phytoplankton productivity.
The oceans contain 39,000 Gt C (gigatonnes of carbon), mostly in the form of bicarbonate ions, whereas the atmosphere currently only contains 830 Gt C. Global energy-related emissions are now a mere 8.3 Gt C per year—a tiny fraction of the 39,000 Gt C stored in the oceans. However, with a global commitment to uplift the bulk of humanity out of poverty—a real moral challenge—industrialising Africa and other poor regions of the world, will fortunately, significantly increase global carbon dioxide emissions.
Over several decades, this biospheric engineering will liberate “locked up carbon” allowing our vegetation and oceans to flourish.
By contrast, Julia Gillard, the Greens, and the Liberal/National coalition all plan to cut emissions by minimally five per cent from 1990 levels by 2020. Not only do they seek to deny nature this life-giving gas, but it shows they also intend to block any plan to rebuild our economy, because there’s no possibility of building major infrastructure and growing our economy without increasing emissions. "
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:57:56 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:35 pm »
where's my bloody wiring diagram for my DT? :'(

f--k, I get tired just typing 1 line :o

worms

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:16 pm »
wire to kill switch, wire to ign coil, earth   or do you need lights as well ?

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2011, 06:26:46 pm »
To hell with carbon tax.  What the planet really needs is a radiation tax.  That stuff will fry us quicker than a bit of smoke.

And as I've said before, this thread is only a small part of this forum and the fact that it has run 26 pages shows that some members have an interest in it, and I doubt it will lead to the decline of the forum.  It will blow over and we'll be back to bikes.

Perhaps the 'General discussion' post should be at the bottom of the page so it's not the first one people go to.  Or as some forums do, rename it as the 'Off topic' thread.  That would solve any disgruntlement.

I also find it interesting to discuss topical subjects with bike minded people.  We all love bikes which is our common bond, but outside of that we come from varied walks of life, with varied backgrounds, varied education, varied skills and varied opinions on life in general, the fact that motorcycles are the nucleus makes it a far richer conversation than with people you have nothing in common with.  That's my opinion anyway. 

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
Right with you Crashman!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »
After 25 pages of lurking this thread in the hope of getting my head around the global warming thing I'm still none the wiser and despite all of the pro and anti argument put forward here I don't think any of you have the answer either.

I just wish you enviromental scientists would put the same amount of thought and effort into contributing subject mater pertaining to the focus of this forum...OLD DIRT BIKES. Maybe you haven't noticed but while you guys were saving the world from carbon dioxide poisoning, the forum is quickly turning to shit. Yeah I know, "If you're not interested, don't read it" is the usual comeback..I've often said it myself in the past, but in the end OZVMX is not a global warming scientific theory think tank, it's a forum for us scientific Philistines to discuss old dirt bikes, an escape from the mind numbing stuff that pervades every other section of our social media these days. If you guys put as much intelligent writing and argument into discussing classic dirt bikes as you have on the carbon tax it just might quell the growing number of punters who are leaving the forum for good.

It's not that you're all contributing to a global warming thread that's the problem.....the real problem is that you're not posting interesting and relevent posts to do with old dirt bikes.

What would you put in the general discussion section?If you have a problem with the forum or the topic take it up with the guy who started the topic and runs the forum.
If you are upset that people aren't starting topics that are interesting enough for you don't wait for them, start one yourself.
I dont see any scientists on the thread only people who are drinking the "kool aid " and people who aren't.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »
If you are upset that people aren't starting topics that are interesting enough for you don't wait for them, start one yourself

You're kidding aren't you? If you'd get out of the carbon cloud for a minute you'd find that I've been doing just that for six fuc*ing years. My problem isn't so much with there being a carbon thread but with none of you contributing relevent stuff about old dirt bikes. The only time some of you post is to get into these type of political or enviromental debates. If it's come to the point that you'd rather argue the toss over something you have no control over than discuss the subject this forum was set up to cater for, you guys have lost your reason for being here. Carbon tax/global warming is an important subject but this isn't the place to discuss it.

Have a look through the members section and see the growing number of forum members who no longer or hardly ever contribute. I've asked many of those who've bailed out and they just about all say that the forum has lost its way and have lost interest.
What's that old saying about 'there are none so blind as those who can't see'?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »
If you are upset that people aren't starting topics that are interesting enough for you don't wait for them, start one yourself

You're kidding aren't you? If you'd get out of the carbon cloud for a minute you'd find that I've been doing just that for six fuc*ing years. My problem isn't so much with there being a carbon thread but with none of you contributing relevent stuff about old dirt bikes. The only time some of you post is to get into these type of political or enviromental debates. If it's come to the point that you'd rather argue the toss over something you have no control over than discuss the subject this forum was set up to cater for, you guys have lost your reason for being here. Carbon tax/global warming is an important subject but this isn't the place to discuss it.

Have a look through the members section and see the growing number of forum members who no longer or hardly ever contribute. I've asked many of those who've bailed out and they just about all say that the forum has lost its way and have lost interest.
What's that old saying about 'there are none so blind as those who can't see'?

As I said ,if you have a problem with this topic take it upwith the guy who started it.
People have left for numerous reasons but for sure the cyber shitfights that develope would be a major one.
I agree about some people only getting involved in political issue's but at the moment that might just be because there is some major things going on.
Personally I have posted and do post on more than just general topics but it seems that the bigger response's come to the GFC and CO tax at the moment.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2011, 11:14:17 pm »
Its a free market ,people are obviously more concerned about   the future, and who can blame them for not putting their heads in the sand as politicians and wall streeters would like us to do ?

Sheeeeeiiiiit Wasp ,you have a way with words lately.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2011, 11:27:33 pm »
Is that good or bad  ?:o

good post IMO

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 06, 2011, 07:34:39 am »
It's going to get worse. The GFC thread is now 13 pages and the funnies/jokes thread is 91 pages of non motorcycle related jokes.