Author Topic: Young blokes riding the Classics  (Read 11770 times)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
Re: Young blokes riding the Classics
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »
i was next to dave for both occasions,he handled the rm situation very well with no agro on either side a credit to dave and the young bloke.however the other tool should have been excluded from the event for his completely unacceptable behaviour-aggresive and downright rude.all because he didnt want to bring HIS boots back,showed himself to be an absolute wanker and detrimental to the sport..big wrap to everyone else didnt hear any whinging

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »
i think its great young blokes riding old bikes. its like they appreciate the old bikes and the sports history. i have asked a few 18 year olds why they ride them and the comment is always that "its cheaper and the racing more fun". regarding mx i think if modern mxers had a go at vmx i think we woulg get flooded with young racers!!     and thanks dave and all of the many volunteers that allow others to race.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »
it`s all in the up bringing, justin is a well mannered bloke not like some in his club.well done to him and his oldman.a great father/son relationship there, a sidecar team in the making.
as for the heading "young blokes riding the classics" if the pre 90 rule gets up we will not have juiniors riding them.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:49 pm »
THE KID ON THE RED TRUMPY TWIN
WAS GOOD TO WATCH
SPOKE TO HIM AND HIS DAD AFTER
GREAT GUYS
SHOULD BE MORE OF IT

Curly3

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:47 pm »
Funny you should say that Micks, it sounds like Justin is keen to ride a Sidecar but I can't see Steve hanging off one.
I reckon Ian Burkett should swing for him.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:34:04 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 03:59:37 pm »
The younger generation are good for the sport.  I started racing the older bikes in my late twenties and I've grown to appreciate them for what they are and how far the technology has come.  Before that, the old bikes were just shitboxes that the old man spent way too much time working on.  It blows me away that the very bike my old man used to idle around the yard with us on the tank as 2 & 3 year olds is the same bike that I race as a 32 year old.  And that bike is 3 years older than me!  Little did I know.  ;D

As a spectator, some of the younger riders do the bikes justice.  I remember watching Ben Coleman (once a very fast junior prospect down here in Vic) laying a 250 Bultaco absolutely flat over a tabletop at Barrabool.  It was spectacular and totally nuts at the same time.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 04:04:51 pm »
We have young school kids riding vmx with us in Unzud,they start at rear of grid and are watched whilst wearing a fluro jacket. When starter is happy fluro jacket comes off and they are just one of the boys.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:47:40 pm by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »
If you dont incourage/allow the wipper snappers to play with us the sport will die....pretty simple really.......you have to go forward......I cant wait to see a Grandfather/son/ grandson out on the track one day!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

211kawasaki

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 05:32:48 pm »
Im with you Davey :D

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
me 3 Davey tho how we'll get 3 on the Wasp is a worry :D :D

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »
In my opinion as others have said we need the young riders, as it creates the father & son combination.I loaned one of my bikes to Toby Tyson CR250  (21yrs  old his father is Paul Tyson 744 from Griffith in the 70's) but would of liked to also enter my son (16yrs & he would of kicked arse, not saying this because he is my lad)) but I didn't need the flack to come out what happened at Raymond Terrace. I got enough crap from other riders about Toby riding my bike.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:58:59 pm by Grasy 6 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 08:30:50 pm »
to come out that happened at Raymond Terrace.

Wait till the Classic Nats in Crystal Brook SA,,,young ones ever were  :o ..... give em something to talk about  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

cheapracer

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 07:33:00 am »

As a spectator, some of the younger riders do the bikes justice.   It was spectacular and totally nuts at the same time.

I have had the pleasure of watching Glen Bell at his peak on a '73 CR250 lap Stanmore and I can't really stress just how hard and fast he was going, was quite unbelievable and made me wonder if the top guys back in the day were also that fast (taking modern riding techniques and fitness into account).

There was a 21 year old who won the ages just ahead of Chris Maindonald (2 very spectacular and bloody fast riders to watch) also on a CR250 at Tununda Oz Champs and I believe he broke the frame - at the presentation he didn't appear and I jokingly yelled out "he had to go to bed" refering to his age and the guy who took the trophy for him confirmed that he had indeed gone to bed! 

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »
good to see young ones ride classics,.... if it was all year round, funny that they enter the aussies, one and only ride on a classic all year, and come and take all the championships away from the older riders, who ride and race there classics all year round.
 pretty fair racing your classic at aussie titles, 48 year olds versus 20 year olds
 the way its going we will lose all the older riders at aussie titles, for every 20 year old racing the titles, we loose 2 older classic riders, we want to race against our own age groups, not against kids,  if that wasnt the case, I personally would race my sons crf250, and 450 in the moderns against them

how many of the young guys, who raced the aussie DT nats, are coming down to canberra, in august to race the aussie senior nats, on their modern bikes, or is it 2 hard for them
 OR DO WE JUST ENTER THE CLASSIC NATS AND CREAM THE OLD GUYS

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »
Very Valid point Elsie. I hadn't even considered that but it is a real issue when you think of it in that light. The other thing is a lot of them would be put there by their dads as not too many yougnsters would like to be caught dead on an "old shitter"(their words-not mine) so dad does all the prep and paperwork and the boys gets the trophies.
Even more ammo for full age brackets at the title meets.
It will be more evident at the MX titles where fitness is more involved but a keen edge is needed at the DT and we loose that as we age(gracefully) :D