Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM  (Read 19326 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
looks like a couple off vmx heavyweights butting horns (again)its a bit like state off origin qld vs nsw

More like a couple goats in rut. Anyway I think there is a decent market for reasonably priced replicas.... the Rickman is getting a bit ancient, but maybe replica CCM or C&J frame for XR motor or trick frame for TM 400 engine would be well recieved.....  
formerly Marc.com

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »
More like a couple goats in rut. Anyway I think there is a decent market for reasonably priced replicas.... the Rickman is getting a bit ancient, but maybe replica CCM or C&J frame for XR motor or trick frame for TM 400 engine would be well recieved.....  
Yeah a replica C&J or JBR Honda frame sounds good to me :)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »
Hey Nimmo,that suit is very mature and professional looking.  8)
You could sell Maicos   414's fast now   ;D  ;) 
cheers A
[/quote

dressed for sucsess
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:25:13 pm by paul »

cheapracer

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
Hey,Mark

Gary Armstrong here long time,what do you expect these frames will sell for if you haven't already mentioned it ,I wouldn't mind building a replica of the Metisse my old man used to race,

Hey Gary!

Don't really know Mate, just want to help a few fella's out and since your an original and your hearts in the right place that puts you in good stead.

Just the tube and my workers time and freight so somewhere between 500 to 1000 I guess depending on what extras I can put with it such as the pre '65 BMW wheel but I need to make a few and figure it out, don't mind giving them away cheap but don't want it costing me either.

Do you know I still feel guilty about missing that rock in the grass at Veresdale on the 4 stroke day I ran that you hit with your Swedish monster and flattened the front wheel - was an awesome looking endo when you hit it though, don't know how you stayed on!

Gee we had fun.

cheapracer

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »
or trick frame for TM 400 engine would be well recieved.....  

Andy Caldecott didn't seem to have any trouble on a bog standard TM 400. A well know VMX'er stopped modding his bikes and spent the money instead at Steven Gall or Dack's MX race school and immediately starting going much faster than any bike mod he had ever made.

I don't know what it is about frames, I know most of you will get in and fix your own cars, do repairs on your houses, make a work bench or a BBQ or a trailer but when it comes to a few simple bits of bent and straight tube ....

The rocket science and development is already done for you, your only making a copy and just one for yourself is quite easy (compared to setting up for a run).

cheapracer

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »
great! Another shiny-arse waving his dick around at everyone going

You're wrong on one point, I didn't get here by being a shiny ass, 4 years apprenticeship with Yamaha, 25 years of my own mechanical/light engineering workshops, 5 years running workshops for other people and 5 years working '9 to 5' for others. And thats besides the second job after hours when things were quiet in the workshop some years. It's only this year things are falling into place for me to be able to undertake some fun projects that I've had in mind for years.

But otherwise you're right, it's great to be me.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:36:28 pm by cheapracer »

TM BILL

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »
[quote

But otherwise you're right, it's great to be me.

[/quote

I wouldn't know  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzwaW_SqtU

Curly3

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 08:54:15 pm »
Dumbgeon here we come.

cheapracer

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »
Dumbgeon here we come.

Nah let it run, I have no issues with it and let the few look rather silly when frames start coming along. People tend to get bored with it anyway and they stop posting eventually.

What amazes me is the people who complain about the thread - FFS, it's you clicking on the mouse that causes it, no one forces you to do it so just avert your gaze, it's that simple.

cheapracer

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 09:05:47 pm »

I wouldn't know  ;)

Finally an on topic post.

dirtrumpy

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »
2K for a local 650 triumph needing a rebuild, there don't seem to be too many around though!

cheapracer

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »
The reason , I am asking is , if we can assume the engines will be costing around 5-8K + 2K for the frame  and 3-4 K for other gear like forks , shocks , pipes etc , we still have a bike valued at( perhaps we better say owing us)  15 K . Is that correct ?

No, but where are you going with this?

TM BILL

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »
I think Joan raised this point in the original thread  ??? A low cost frame is a good start if you want to go down that road and CR has shown what could be a cheap option for pre 65 Legal wheels . Marc FX i think in an early post suggested Triumph motors (ex ebay ) at reasonable cost also.

But even putting my reservations about the diluting of a special era i still dont believe you could build a bike from scratch for under 10k
and at the end of the day you still have a Chinka knock off with some original parts . I would have to question weather spending 75% of what it would cost to buy an original or build a replica (built from established aftermarket suppliers ) would make good sense  ???

The Frame while being a major component of the bike does not ( particularly in the case of a Mettise ) account for a huge part of the overall build cost. Wallys figures for race ready motors probably are not to far off the mark.
At the end of the day its CRs project and the market will dictate weather or not he can sell any, I suppose owners of genuine Mettises may be a target market for a replacement race frame (to preserve their originals but i think those owners have to much pride and integrity to travel that path .

Now if somone wants to knock out RM 250 / 370 / 400 A B C frames (as they have a tendency to rot in the lower rails ) i think you could have a market  ;)

cheapracer

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »

I am trying to project what the difference would be in the total end figure between a pommie Metisse  and your version . In a percentage on the whole outlay , I mean

Fine but I disagree with the way you are most likely looking at it.

When you spend $4,000+ on a frame kit in all it's nickel plated glory you're not going to put a $200 swap meet Jawa 350/B33/Enfield/Yam YDS-2/NSU 250/etc, etc. engine into it but a $500 frame you might.

Same for the rest of the bike.

What about this one hey, my frames with some Indian bullet running gear - hmm must look into that...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pre-65-Royal-Enfield-500-Metisse-scrambles-twinshock-/230609159968

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 09:59:09 pm »
Rather than a sport based on harmonious team work, ours is one of the individual pulling up to a grid against all. So welcome to our forum Cheapracer, a place full of those such raging egos. You certainly qualify.

Regardless of how things pan out for you on this forum? I am actually stoked with the out come you will obviously provide us with.
Time is money, and definitely the two prime elements that spell affordability for the vast majority of us. Even in the mind of a simpleton it must spell more of these now “affordable mounts” will equate to an increase of machines on the grid, therefore encouraging the very survival and revival of the pre65 class.
Obviously some will consider it also to be a great start for whatever engine they have laying under the bench. An XS650 pre70 or whatever pre75 concoction as well, be it VMX, Grass track or Dirt track.
Imagine how boring it would be if we all had the same idea of a hybrid creation.  

If I were to like you or not? Is not the reason I am excited. In the end I will be more likely great-full.

We need all classes to be healthy, if we are to dream of ridding and racing against each other for years to come.

"light weight, and it works great"  :)