Author Topic: the Split  (Read 5022 times)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: the Split
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:55 am »
stupid stuff guys,

people want to ride and race bikes of their era, once you start telling people something differant they wont! because they wont have any connection to the bikes they are riding.

now, back to the "sport of racing" or the "sport of showcasing", I like racing myself, theres no better way to preserve the sport and have our bikes doing what they were made for.

onward and upward with my one-man crusade to have min requirement for a "National Title Race", not every race day , just at the nationals, added to the MOM's.

cheers Worms

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 07:45:33 am »
stupid stuff guys,

people want to ride and race bikes of their era, once you start telling people something differant they wont! because they wont have any connection to the bikes they are riding.

now, back to the "sport of racing" or the "sport of showcasing", I like racing myself, theres no better way to preserve the sport and have our bikes doing what they were made for.

onward and upward with my one-man crusade to have min requirement for a "National Title Race", not every race day , just at the nationals, added to the MOM's.

cheers Worms
Exactly! I've got no interest in riding an old clunker from the 50's.. i'd rather play lawn bowls ;)

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:32 am »
Well l might be explaining it wrong, in europe they do it they that way, if anybody has access to a race program from europe please enlighten me too as l am also puzzled.

firko

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 10:43:07 am »
Seems simple, if you're 70 years old you can ride a 1970's bike, 50 years old a 1950's bike etc etc.
So you end up matching 40 years olds on B33's against 70 year olds on YZ's etc.

This idea is so stupid it makes me shake my head, trying to understand why someone would think it's a good idea. I'm in my sixties so than confines me to bikes from the sixties, yet someone younger gets to ride "old clunkers from the fifties"? Give me a fu*#ing break. ::) With the pre 85 class restricted to 85 year old geriatrics we'd have a great platform for the future.
Dave, if you're going to make a post, please try to understand what you're talking about before you post it. Does somebody have an idea what Dave's on about? ::)

Even if it's the reverse where the older you are, the older your bike has to be is a restrictive sport killer. By telling us that we need to be an age that can relate to a particular class shuts the door for the classes long term survival. For our sport to survive in its entirity, we need to be attracting new recruits to the older classes as they seem to have successfully done in the USA and the UK. The guys who raced pre '75 are now nearly all in their late fifties through to early seventies so it's understandable that most of the racers from that era are past their race date. Racers from the pre 65 era are in their seventies and up with very few being able to ride at all. We need to attract younger racers to the older classes or it'll all fall in a giant shithole before long.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:56:05 am by firko »

cheapracer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 11:10:41 am »
stupid stuff guys,

people want to ride and race bikes of their era,

It's as smart as having 30 - 39 years olds who weren't even born for pre '75 if you want to start with semantics.

firko

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 11:23:21 am »
It's as smart as having 30 - 39 years olds who weren't even born for pre '75 if you want to start with semantics
How do you envision the older classes remaining viable despite an aging racer demographic? If a 25 year old wants to race my Metisse, I'm more than enthusiastic to give him a go. Who knows, he might just like the experience and go and build or buy a pre 65 bike of his own.....as Mainline on this forum has done.
Our sport's not just an old boys social club.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
I thought alot of Europe raced on the basis of rider/bike combined age set the scoring on a sliding scale.
That way old guys on old bikes had the best cahnce of a good score where-as the young guns on the late model bikes have to do really well to get points.
The sliding scale-would work very well at the Dirt track :D :D :D
 ( I've got to stop laughing at my own jokes)  

cheapracer

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:37 am »

It won't practically work as a National rule but it's an awesome thought for a separate class at least.

Well I reread my own post and what I wrote seems quite clear to me.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:26 pm »
Mark and all the other on this threat, I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill, l am only relaying what was said to me, also I am trying to understand the concept of it too, I am sorry for causing confusion.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »
Where does this stuff come from? I've raced overseas at eight different tracks in four different countries in recent years and have never seen such a daft idea. They generally have simmilar age events as we do. The exception was a big event at Linkoping Sweden where Pre75 & Twin-shock had similar age classes as us [I rode a 1983 CZ in "Over 60"],but the feature class was contesting the"Ove Lundell Trophy" fo 60+ riders on Pre65 machines.

mainline

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 10:29:08 pm »
It's as smart as having 30 - 39 years olds who weren't even born for pre '75 if you want to start with semantics
How do you envision the older classes remaining viable despite an aging racer demographic? If a 25 year old wants to race my Metisse, I'm more than enthusiastic to give him a go. Who knows, he might just like the experience and go and build or buy a pre 65 bike of his own.....as Mainline on this forum has done.
Our sport's not just an old boys social club.

not quite yet Firko, still collecting parts and trying to figure out how to convince the other half I built a silver BSA thing out of spares left over from a Suzuki and a couple of Yamaha's ;D

Brad is way ahead of me in terms of looking further afield than his initial era of interest. He actually seems to be looking to get one of everything ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41:01 pm »
Dave lives in "Dave's World" Col....nobodies been there so nobody knows what actually goes on.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

cheapracer

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 10:51:09 pm »
also I am trying to understand the concept of it too,

At QVMX early on we had 2 rather senior riders and we let them ride late bikes so they could be out there, the 'pre 75's were just too hard on their bodies.

TM BILL

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:50 am »

To quote the lovely Pauline..."Please explain..in plain English so even I can understand."

Seems simple, if you're 70 years old you can ride a 1970's bike, 50 years old a 1950's bike etc etc.

So you end up matching 40 years olds on B33's against 70 year olds on YZ's etc.

It won't practically work as a National rule but it's an awesome thought for a separate class at least.

This would have to be the 2nd dumbest idea ever posted on this forum  ::) ::) i can just see those in their 20s and 30s rushing to the national motorcycle museum to pick up their VMX ride  ::)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:05:33 am by TM BILL »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 11:35:50 am »
This would have to be the 2nd dumbest idea ever posted on this forum  ::) ::) i can just see those in their 20s and 30s rushing to the national motorcycle museum to pick up their VMX ride  ::)

BTW Bill I agree but what was the first dumbest idea.

Anyway just what everyone needed another set of rules to fret over. Besides age shall not weary some of them, at the going down of the flag etc
formerly Marc.com