Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?  (Read 39341 times)

cheapracer

Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »
You still look ugly Mark....happy birthday.

Trying to think of who wore coke bottle glasses and was nearly totally blind ...

Birthday - did you mean the many I have had since we last met or my big halfway one in a few weeks time?

FWIW heres the 600 engines and me about to test one, you may remember my Husky 390, CZ400 etc and Jikov knows my IT465 I had for many years so when I tell you it went effin hard you can believe it. They shit bricks when I pulled flat thru 4 gears through the middle of the factories and asked me to stop  :D In a away I'm glad I did, 50hp in a Quad with thumb throttle and nothing brakes was actually a bit nervy for me too!

And while I was in that city I met up with Ian Drysdale to talk about some future projects (large guy far left) some of you may know Ian from the Drysdale V8 but he actually does a lot of engine design work in China too.

Mark Austin

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 12:03:32 am »
Hey Mark,

How do you think it would work if you made some frames, fitted some 30 year old engines - Triumph, BSA, XT500, whatever you like, and registered it as a "historic vehicle" for the road in NSW. Do you think the RTA would know the difference?
I've always liked the idea of a Metisse roadie, maybe dirt track style?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mark

cheapracer

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:35 am »
Hey Mark,

How do you think it would work if you made some frames, fitted some 30 year old engines - Triumph, BSA, XT500, whatever you like, and registered it as a "historic vehicle" for the road in NSW. Do you think the RTA would know the difference?
I've always liked the idea of a Metisse roadie, maybe dirt track style?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mark

When I was doing RWC's in Qld and a strange frame or modded frame came in I sent it straight back out to get engineering approval (had to go to the "Pits" in Brisbane). For old genuine bikes they had to have a genuine number or have one officially stamped on and that was reported in (at a cost). Some customers were not happy to have a number stamped on their restored gem but their was no choice. Even less happy were some customers who had no choice but to let me ride it - no road test no RWC (one guy with a Duke 916 wouldn't even take it off his trailer to begin with and fumed for an hour before he gave in and let me ride it!).

Thats going back over 10 years and I have no idea how NSW works or even Qld today.

For a Metisse replica you could try it 2 ways, either get an engineers approval or lie. As Rickman's were a known production frame from the era try to find out Rickman's number system and sequence and make one up yourself based on the year model of your choice of engine. You'll be asked for proof of ownership or or possibly receipts for engine and frame if you "restored it yourself" and have no previous proof of rego in Oz.

You may want to ask the process first but ask like it's a real '68(?) model bike you want to get registered.

It's not (or rather wasn't) as hard as it sounds and most bike shop guys are pretty cool and will give you good tips on how to do it - failing that historic clubs or even historic rego if thats still around but used to be very limited.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:35 am »
Welcome Ji junior  ;D
I'm not actually sure what that means but if it's a slight on what I am doing then I would find that very disappointing as I see your from Kiwiland and of anyone in the world I have the utmost respect for it's Kiwis "having a go" at building stuff and have done some incredible and amazing stuff over the years.
Ji was just some poor guy who did a lot of stuff and tried to share some of it on this forum.
He could be a pain sometimes but I personally found his posts to be fun . :)
I had thought that the general consensus was to leave that episode behind us and to move on and grow up.
Looking at your photo,s I realize that I have met you and the guy [ your brother ? ] next to you.
Can,t for the life of me remember where we met. Hope I didn,t make a prick of myself. ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:30:39 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:53 am »

it's attracted too many Bogans.

Over 3 years ago I decided to build the worlds best bargain race/track day car which you would think some would be excited about and most forums I mentioned in such as America were and extreme supportive and helpful.

But the Australian forums were this all over, "who the 'F' are you", "Prove it Wanker", etc etc - got so bad I just gave up and now my cars are going into production these next few months to fill American orders. However I want to race pre '65 myself in Oz so I will still endevour to market the kits here so I have people to compete against.

I think you may have misunderstood what a forum is.
It’s not your own website where you sit back and take in orders, it’s a place for debate and discussion, and you opened this in general discussion so you shouldn’t be surprised that people wish to debate it, whether they wish to buy something or not.
You may think your well known in Qld VMX circles but I don’t think your known of elsewhere that much (stick with it and that will change) so you shouldn’t be upset about having to explain yourself in discussion groups.
It’s not necessarily negative to ask questions, and questions will come when you may provocative or bold statements.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:46 am »
I've always loved the idea of a Metisse on the street ever since I saw a red MK3 Triumph Metisse cruise past the Coogee Bay Hotel one Sunday arvo back in the early 80's. A few years later I saw a lovely BRG Triumph Metisse parked outside a bar in Santa Monica, California but not much else since which surprises me as I reckon the MK3 Metisse looks much sweeter in cafe racer trim than the proper Rickman CR (Cafe Racer). Klub Kevlars Grand Pooh Bah, Frank Stanborough has what must be the nicest engineered street registered MK3 Metisse in existence. While not actually a Cafe Racer by definition, it's still a nice piece of kit. With a late Triumph engine, electric start and modern brakes I can see these being a nice mix of new and old on the road. A bit like what Deux ex Machina is trying to achieve but sometimes misses the mark with.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:23:37 am by firko »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:36 am »
Pretty sure that dirttrumpy's is/was rego'd.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2011, 11:41:18 am »
It looks like someone else had the same idea, pity it's Gerry Lisi. Looks pretty good though, eh? ;)

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1006_metisse_8v_mark_5/index.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:50:24 am by firko »

cheapracer

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »

It’s not your own website  ...

Have you noticed in the tech forum where I have been trying to help?

When I'm a member of a forum I like to get involved in all aspects of the forum and not just for my own purpose and that includes ironically just a few moments before I came here recommending to some people in an American forum contact you for '74 Maico frames.

Anyway, have some basic info and some time this week so I'll start to rough one out if my workers can actually leave me alone for long enough.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2011, 01:19:50 pm »

It’s not your own website  ...

Have you noticed in the tech forum where I have been trying to help?

When I'm a member of a forum I like to get involved in all aspects of the forum and not just for my own purpose and that includes ironically just a few moments before I came here recommending to some people in an American forum contact you for '74 Maico frames.

Way too touchy there! You've quoted GMC very badly out of context - he wasn't taking a shot at you.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

cheapracer

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »
No, GMC singled me out to tell me how a forum works while at the same time within this very thread a number of people have been degrading one actually using the word "jerkoff" in violation of the forum rules - why is there no mention of their actions?

I don't really care to be honest, just don't like imbalance, don't point your fingers at me for being an asshat if you can't do the same for the other asshats.

Thank you for listening, now back to normal services.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:04 pm »
Eh. Horse, water, dehydration and all that.
It does seem odd that you can complain about how forums work, and then use the next breath to complain about someone explaining it to you.

The internet has more than enough asshats. Just because you've been laying out industrial quantities of asshat bait, doesn't mean that everyone who responds is being an asshat...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:07:14 pm by Nathan S »

cheapracer

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »
Eh.

And you helped this thread how?

Do you have a comment on the Metisse idea or can you just go away?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

And you helped this thread how?

Do you have a comment on the Metisse idea or can you just go away?

By doing my best to hose down the precious little egos.