Author Topic: Decibels  (Read 61468 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Decibels
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2008, 09:40:36 pm »
youu can buy vibration disks that sit on you cases to tell you the revs
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

huskyrider78

« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2008, 07:16:59 am »
Hi Guys,
Just got back from Testing modern bikes in Penguin at the first round of the Australian Motocross Champs
tested  75 on Saturday and all passed easy
remember that the reading only needs to be 98.9 with a type 2 meter
most of the factory bikes came in around 93 to 95 not much over. They are also careful not to be too close before the race because after a 30 min moto the pipe gains about three quarter to a full db in noise,and in the races 1st, 2nd and 3rd were tested after racing.
Most of the factory bikes were tested sometimes 5 times playing around with end caps etc. perhaps thats were we should be looking.

I also will be helping Derek Rumble test at CD5

Cheers
Fatboy

Shane, from the above it appears:

1. Your testing equipment is working :)
2. Manufacturers have spent millions of dollars of R&D in getting the noise levels of their bikes down :D
3. MA are asking the VMX community to do the same with aluminium mesh from Bunnings ;D

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2008, 12:02:08 am »
I am trying to be pro active and see what is on the market out there for those of us less "able" to put something together.  Very interesting that when I wrote to Circle F Kevin replied with he didn't know of a muffler for VMX bikes that would get to 96 - suggested maybe the FMF quiet core?

FWIW

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Doc

« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:13 pm »
hmmmm..FMF, Cirle F, Vintage Iron...all = $$$ for something that will more than likely not even look period and cause much woe. Someone made the statement in a previous post about the japs and other manufacturers spending millions on R&D including exhaust development and now they want us 'backyard boys' to improve on it (no offence)..the more I sit and think..they are definately insane!! This argument along with the discrimination against the vintage dirtbikes should be enough to make someone sit up and see the light. I reckon we should forward this 11 page (so far) topic to all the powers that be so they can read about the how unfavorable and how discriminatory this change is toward classic MX. I accepted it cause I want to ride some more but I still say it sucks and I don't agree at all!  1 rule for all MA disciplines or they should bugger off and leave well and good enough alone are my feelings also. 

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2008, 02:30:40 pm »
Thats a good point about forwarding this thread onto the powers that be Doc. 
With vintage racing as we all know we have  conditions  to keep period in order to comply so if the machines were legal to race last year why cant the "same" machine race now? After all they are still historically correct.

Common sense says If an exhaust has been modified then it should not be manufactured to have a higher Db than a stock system or its finger waving time.

What else my head is thinking is that its not the bikes failing as it has not changed. what has changed is peoples perception of our sport and the environment that some of the tracks  share with the general public. That being the case should not the tracks be made to comply with a Db rating and leave the bikes alone or at least be controlled at a club level? Seems thats what got the Historic road racers a more easily achievable Db rating.

I feel the beaurocrats should be told to put a sock in it

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2008, 02:56:43 pm »
Does anyone reading this know what the limit is now for "Classic" road race-A TZ700 or open megaphone CB900  for example would blow the DB reader apart!

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »
Does anyone reading this know what the limit is now for "Classic" road race-A TZ700 or open megaphone CB900  for example would blow the DB reader apart!

102dB
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2008, 06:34:33 pm »
Doc and Pokey, I think those of us not happy with the new 96db rule appreciate your idea for forwarding these 'posts' and it sounds good in theory.... but we all know that's not how 'Boards' make their decisions.
The MA Board will not sit at the meeting table and read our grumblings page after page.
Motions must be moved and seconded and voted on etc, etc.

An earlier update states 'the Board' ignored the 25 or so submitted protests.
Very little action was taken by the collective VMX community prior to the 96db ruling coming into force. 
The motion to adopt 96db for VMX has now been voted on - and accepted by the ruling body.
It has arrived and that is that.

The VMX community either adopts or fights the ruling.
It's not like we were asked or polled (and I think the 25 protests outweigh the numbers sitting on the Board...?).
However, if the ideas on this forum for complying/altering pipes are a guide I'd say many here are accepting of the new rule.

Over this thread and its sister thread (noise emmisions) I think every argument for and against 96db has been raised; we're only going over old ground and repeating ourselves.
I believe the only way for it to revert or gain parity with those allowed a higher noise level is by petition.

My own view remains constant over these threads - the 96db ruling smacks of hypocracy and favouritism.
But bitching on this forum has achieved nought.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2008, 06:55:13 pm »
To be honest, when I start these monsters in sydney, the wife theathens divorce and I never get to speak to the neighbors for a week.  I love it (rebel 2stroker),  but with little +garages+ in the current realestate situation,  I think some of us are doomed.

211kawasaki

« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2008, 09:17:39 pm »
its like the scene in the Life Of Brian - "Somethings actually happening Reg!"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2008, 07:31:25 pm »
At the risk of being an outcast......again, I'm all for 96db and I struggle to understand why so many of you are brutally against it, is it not for the benefit of the sport? Maybe, maybe not but I know that making them louder is not.
Most race bikes we ride are varied in some form from oem, is an alloy muffler going to destroy the "period" look of the bike that much, not as much as that new fox helmet and matching gear as you sit on your non-slip seat cover, looking down at the anodised excel rims do.
If you want to partition MA why not do one to have the gcr's include the classic roadies as well.
Why not make their bikes as Quiet as ours, instead of making ours as LOUD as theirs. What is that saying about one bad apple.
We need to do all we can to ensure the longevity of the sport and if that means making our bikes 6 db quiter than last year is that such a big sacrifice, shit why not be a little pro active and while you are there make it 92 db, meet the limit and go one better.

I could go on but long posts never get read.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »
Evo, I doubt anyone here thinks you're an outcast at all; you raise some good and valid points.
I particularly agree with your comments about the non period riding apparel and other non vintage items roundly accepted.
The new ruling ensures we can't go from concourse to race track without modification - and that's where it stuffs the vintage ideal.
I reckon vintage is vintage and bolting on an uber silencer takes away from the spirit of the sport.
A model T Ford wouldn't be the same with radial tyres would it?

But I think petitioning MA to stomp on the Historic Road Racers would be a mean thing to do.
And they obviously have people on the inside so that would go nowhere.

It's all a good debate and let's continue to discuss all differences of opinion across the VMX spectrum in a civilised manner. We all ride the same tracks and no-one wants a punch in the face at CD5 type gatherings for having been too harsh on a forum.
As they say, let's all agree to disagree agreeably.

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2008, 07:50:42 am »
Great points Mark (evo)and i agree with alot of what you are saying. I think the cold hard reality is its just another thing that we have to do and another reason to put your hand in your pocket.That is probably more the reason why most are against it more so than keeping it period, me included. I must say that i am still against the 96db as (in my opinion)its no where near as relative to us as the new bikes that race in packs of 40 at a time or go racing in the local bush or up the road.
I will have to modify at least ten bikes myself= too hard!

Doc

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2008, 12:26:24 pm »
okay Evo, I see one problem with your solution, name me 1 manufacturer that lists their aftermarket silencers' decibel rating? It doesn't happen and no-one as yet has a proven way to get the noise down. It's not a case of simply buying a nice new alloy muffler as good chance you will still be over the 96DB and a couple of hundred lighter. I can sit here inside at home on a Sunday when the Vintage motocross is on at Nudgee and not hear a sound, I can also sit here when the modern dirt track is on and believe me..they are bloody loud. I see no reason why people and local residents shouldn't be complaining. It's the moderns doing the damage!! The main argument here is it's not the vintage bikes doing the damage but the late stuff. Why did MA pick on vintage? Because we are a minority that's why, it's the poorest cop out I've heard in a long time. I'll modify 2 bikes to ride but it looks like all the others can stay in the garage because like Brad, I am not about to change 10 bikes, not that I could I ever afford to. The whole argument reeks of discrimination and it is a crock and it stinketh  ;) No ones wants to wear a punch in the snout or argue simply because he/she disagrees and wants to keep his/her bike original or visa versa but what MA has successfully done is shaped a wedge that can and will divide the vintage MX movement and sadly because of this numbers will only drop not gain. Quite obviously MA does not give a rats buttocks about vintage mx and if it survives or not! Maybe this is in their grand plan?? They could not care less!!  If it was a directive across the whole racing fraternity then it would be a little easier to swallow but to sit here and listen to the noise moderns make compared to vintage bikes and then for them to turn around and tell us we (vintage) are too loud and noisy is the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard in all my born natural! If anyone doubts the noise comparo then you are quite welcome to drop over anytime and compare for yourself..the moderns are bloody loud and this is even with the noise barriers around the track that the vintage doesn't have. I am not picking on any MA official in particular but I am seriously questioning the logic and practicality of their collective decision making within a governing body.  I've pretty much had a skinfull of this topic also and agreeing to disagree and comply is the only available option available unfortunately. I agree less noise is best but lets's be fair to everyone and have right across the board.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:45:37 pm by Doc »