Author Topic: Decibels  (Read 61463 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Decibels
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »
although i am a realist and know thatr the noise issue will not go away. i can't help but be pissed of at MA (as an organisation) on this issue as well as others, as i feel they (especially now post ACCA/ACU) have never had the sports best interests at heart. they run the sport like a money making business not for the good of it in general and there is way too much money involved with red tape and beaurocracy. i reckon it crap to have to have an MA permit for a social/practice day, one day licence to practice (not race) maybe i am just getting to be a crusty old prick.

fork that feels better.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »
NOpe have to say hooony other than insurance im not sure what all the paper work is for, we did a trail ride with the club on a private property, everyon including the kids got the MA Bill for a day license if there we not on a licence and i feel for the poor secretary who has to get the permit and fill in all the shit.  Surely someone could spend all that money on a water tight ride at you own risk, waiver that would be inforcable.  I think next time its going to be run ans an invitaion only get together amongst "freinds" removing the words club, ride and organised. 
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:53 pm »
Doc,
I think both Answer and DG have an bolt on 96db u.s. forestry approved clip on thingy that can be attached to almost any existing silencer, but that's beside the point. Being a regular at nudgee how many times have you been noise tested? yet noise limits have been around for years, 102 db last year, I bet the same bikes that wouldn't meet this year limit would have failed 102 db last year as well. No ground swell of discontent then. Look I agree that modern meetings are a much louder event if your half a K away, not because the bikes are louder it's just that there are more of them and your right that for some reason not all disiplines are the same, with minikahna?being the lowest at 95db. How these numbers are decided are anyones guess, but wouldn't it be good to hear that the road guys are self regulation thier disipline and encouraging 96 db at their meetings below the required 102db.
The complaint that I will cost me a fortune to modify all 10 of my bikes(not a shot at you brad, just a number I picked that was higher than 1) does not sit well with me, my view is if you can afford to run more than 1 bike per year then the cost shouldn't be problem, I can't even afford one, but I have sent it to an M/C exhaust shop with directions to make it 94db. There goes my race entry fees for the next 2 years.

I look at the lack of changes at R/R as an indication that MA doesn't care about them, not us. We have been included in the changes made to all the disiplines......except R/R either that or they are a power unto themselves......bit like B.S.A. trying to take on Hutchies or Leightons (All the tradies will know what I'm talking about) either way it's detremental to their disipline.

Shit I could rattle on forever, but a very handsome, highly inteligent individual once           
 said " Long posts never get read"

* Disclaimer I am not a greeny or work undercover for M.A. ;)
See you all in the noise test line.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »
And we could go on forever...but here's what it's comes down to.
96db is in; do we raise a petition and fight it or do we comply?

And I can't agree on the long posts not being read thing.
Witty one liners have their place but this noise topic deserves to be discussed.
Quality debate should be encouraged - cranky rants and short attention spans should not (and that's not an attack on anyone - it's just my opinion).
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2008, 09:05:28 pm »
Here's the thingy, kind of, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Answer-Spark-Arrester-Add-On_W0QQitemZ330226261296QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330226261296

Your right wombat, It's great when these things can be discusssed in a civilized manner, I respect everyone's opinion and I hope you all respect mine, different as it may be. I would still sit down and have a beer.
Congratulations must go to Freaky, very restrained through all this, the new medications working well then? ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:27:45 pm by evo550 »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2008, 10:19:27 pm »
Swami Pokey rubs his crystal ball and the smoke clears.

I see many unhappy faces milling about the paddock
I see frantic stuffing of silencers with copious amounts of wool.
I see many cable operated restrictors being inserted in chambers.
I see.. i see a half empty grid

The smoke closes in and all again becomes haze

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2008, 09:24:32 am »
Well i've been busy repacking mufflers and i,m still waiting on the expanded mesh . I've got a mate who is gonna roll some up for me to size and i will try that on a couple of yz mufflers with a before and after noise test .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

huskyrider78

« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2008, 03:36:01 pm »

Doc

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:28 pm »
if Boroondara mayor Coral Ross is typical of mayors in Australia then yes..we are in deep shit..it's a starters gun for gods sake!!..I can make more noise banging in a nail!! isn't this the starting method still used at the most prestigious sports events..including the Olympics!! I can't help but feel sorry for these people..they should get a life and butt out of everyone elses!

sorry wombat..another cranky rant..angry ant  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:32:54 pm by Doc »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:29 pm »
Geez.  I wonder if the noise meter will be required at Klub Kevlar's  Chilli  Cook off :D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:44 pm »
Good point pokey.
Let's have those pan lids firmly secured or removed entirely.
Nothing shits the neighbours more than a rattling lid.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2008, 11:09:13 pm »
Congratulations must go to Freaky, very restrained through all this, the new medications working well then? ;)

Plenty to say but is anyone ever listening ?

I dont have pokeys crystal ball, but i saw the same thing come to me in a vision one night, i had 15 bikes and begin to worry in 08 i haz no where to ride them, the first round of the SA dirt track nearly gets cancelled and is still grey as the atujara club pulls the pin and our club trys to save it and then i find out the rest of the local classic guys apon hearing about the noise DB story dont renew there MA licenses, Potentially no classic riders next round, the club secretary said he might cut the classics or combine into one race if not more than 4 riders enter and finally ELvis is found alive in a geelong diner.

And then i woke up, to realise actually only one of these item isnt true. :'(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:11:58 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:07 pm »
that was not a vision or a dream it was a bloody nightmare.. :o
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2008, 11:30:36 pm »
YEs i await to see how it all pans out 247, not going to be an exciting year, hope to at least make it to canberra for a look, cause if i dont go there this year on a Senior licence, i think next year it wont be viable to renew and just get Day permits whenever i go for a ride ( 08 licences up another $10).  Im hoping we get some new blood otherwise i might have to upgrade the 01 Ktm to something 07.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Tony T

« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:37 am »
Just received the official line from MA as follows:

Dear All,

Motorcycling Australia has received approximately 25 items of correspondences expressing concern at the reduction of noise levels to 96dbA for Classic Motorcross.

The matter has been considered by the Board of Motorcycling Australia and I take this opportunity to provide a common response which will hopefully address the majority of concerns raised in the aforementioned items of correspondence and hopefully as a result you will have a better understanding of noise issues.

To assist in the process, I will respond in an item format.

1.      There is no exception for classic road racing. All road racing is limited to 102dbA and the principle reason for that are twofold:

·   Road racing is conducted on an established circuit with clear planning permits. Noise at many road racing circuits is monitored by government regulation.

·   The 102dbA level for road racing was allowed for the 2008 year because imported exhaust systems are designed for a world market in line with FIM regulations.

2.      Motorcycling Australia’s regulations of 96dbA for motorcross conforms in general with FIM regulations.

3.      Historic Road Racing does not have a specific exemptions. It is in line with the 102dbA regulation for all road racing.

4.      In the early days of Historic Road Racing there were no regulations and machines emitted noise in the range of 115dbA and 120dbA with open and reverse cone megaphones. The Historic Road Race competitors have made considerable effort to reduce noise with modified exhaust system which are usually quite different from the original system.

5.      Whilst the visual compatibility of classic motorcross machine should be, if possible, maintained alteration to exhaust system from the original appearance must be accepted in the interest of responsible management of sport in an effort to reduce noise. As stated above this has occurred in Historic Road Racing.

6.      In introducing a 96dbA level everybody must understand the relevant regulations outlined in GCR 12.10.3. Because type 2 meters are used in Australia a deduction of 2dbA is permitted. GCR 12.10.12 allows for rounding down of the reading ie. 96.9dbA become 96. Consequently, an allowance of 2.9dbA is permitted using a Type 2 meter. In this way, a reading of 98.9dbA will be recorded as 96dbA.

7.      Motorcycling Australia will have representatives at Classic Dirt 5 carrying out noise testing in an informal and educative manner. This will allow people the opportunity to modify their exhaust system prior to the next competitive event.

8.      In relation to the forthcoming Australian Championship and other race meetings in 2008, a heavy handed approach will not be the method used by any officials doing noise testing, ie. the allowances as specified in (6) above will apply.

9.      As stated above a heavy handed approach will not be adopted. However, a “no attempt” approach will not be tolerated. By no attempt I would classify as straight pipe on a four stroke machine or expansion chamber with no muffling on a two stroke machine as a non attempt to comply.

10.    Motorcycling Australia, by introducing this regulation is not attempting to drive people away from Classic Motorcross but is introducing a process of regulation for all disciplines of motorcycle sport rather than have regulations inflicted upon us by Government legislators who would have not have an understanding of our sport.

11.    Motorcycling Australia fully understands that classic racing machines were built without noise regulations in mind. However, we are now in a different age and faced with a myriad of environmental issues. Visual, original compatibility is a small sacrifice if that ensures a continuance of racing.

I will conclude by reiterating we are not about unnecessarily restricting competitors, but about responsibly managing our sport to ensure its future.

Should you wish to respond to this conclusions feel free to do so by email me at [email protected] or phone me on 03 9684 0512.

Kind Regards,

David White
Chief Executive Officer
Motorcycling Australia

I'm on the way out now but will pen a response when I get back on Wednesday.
One thing stood out though, and that is how the CEO of MA refers to motocross as 'motorcross'.  ::)
Pretty minor I know, but a silly mistake all the same that normally comes from those that have no knowledge of the sport.........................