Author Topic: Electric moto  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Electric moto
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »
Electric bikes, what do you think? I love em!

Interview with Zero:
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Sweet-Sound-of-Zero,1215275

KTM Freeride:
http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/new-bikes/2010/03/24/ktm-s-all-new-electric-bike-unveiled

Electric flat tracker - bit too much snap off the bottom, but neat. Half way thru this vid (and mute the sound for God's sake):
http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/flat-track/2011/04/05/video-halbert-goes-racing-again

Electric superbike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzGa-uhACc

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Electric moto
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:25 pm »
An article in a new Pommy mag rates one up against the 125 KTM enduro, was faster out the gate and up the hill but lost out on slippy switch backs and downhill. Zero eng braking didn't help and nor did a 19'' front hoop but the tester was somewhat impressed. And not to forget the twostroke has about 100 years of development head start-what I mean is -where will the electro be in a few years??
I have ridden the Zero and was impressed but it lacked throttle response-had about the same as my CL50 that I grew up with-so not too good for trials, which I thought it would be great for.
So I guess the verdict is still open for now. Might be good in traffic if in motard guise.

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »
Zero eng braking didn't help

Good electronics will sort that.

Apart from that: yeah good. Not quite there yet but they will be with 10-15 years.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »
Electric bikes, what do you think? I love em!

For girls. ;D ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »
Nah... real  f****n men.

The big thing is the lack of noise. We all love the noise, but no-one else does. So once the things are pretty much silent, they'll totally change the whole scene. In fact, they'll become cool and the chicks will love them cos they'll be sorta tough but cute. Like mountain bikes only tougher cos they go faster...

That's what I reckon  ;)

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:14 am »
just on the noise thing- they still run chains which seem to be the noisiest part of them- so why wouldn't they run belts. If they can do it on a Harley with all the torque, why not on a electro??
The other thing they noted in the test was the ammount of chassis noise when it was bouncing over things-noise not normally heard because engine noise would cover it.

firko

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
I had a spin on the electric dirt bike Drakie was riding around at the Conondale Nats and loved it.
I'm not sure if they're the future of off road sport but I can see the advantages of them as Ag or posty bikes. In fact, my posty rides an electric pushy ATM and reckons it's a cool thing. It drives through the front wheel but I haven't looked hard enough to see how it works.......

ps...One dangerous disadvantage of the electric bike is the silent running. While riding around the pits I couldn't believe the number of people who walked right in front of me because they couldn't hear me coming. My thumb was permanently fixed to the horn button. ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:27:28 am by firko »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:30 am »
A electric salt lake race team put their bike on the dyno here a while ago culminated in a big bang and a fire when one motor went south.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:48 am »
this little jigger is the Mission R, 150+ hp, everything on it is top of the line and it was styled by the guy who did the current Fireblade.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
now doesn't that look stunning!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »
Where's the horn on that ???             -prolly on the rider I'd say !!!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
I can't wait for electric dirt bikes, watch out golf courses.

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:37:53 am »
You wouldn't have to worry about the 'Noise nazis' wanting to close down MX tracks like Fairbairn Pk at Queenbeyan, eh Graeme?
If you want some real electric power have a look at US electric drag race bikes like KillaCycle, 1/4mile, 7.8 secs, 168mph.
www.myrideisme.com/Blog/killacycle-is-godzilla/

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:58:19 am »
You wouldn't have to worry about the 'Noise nazis' wanting to close down MX tracks like Fairbairn Pk at Queenbeyan, eh Graeme?
If you want some real electric power have a look at US electric drag race bikes like KillaCycle, 1/4mile, 7.8 secs, 168mph.
www.myrideisme.com/Blog/killacycle-is-godzilla/
Knuckleheads. I have raced on that track a long time ago; a beaut little circuit. It will be a pity if the Noise Nazi's win and it gets closed up. Where do they think everyone is going to ride when everything is shut down? >:( >:(

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »
you will have to buy a prious to tow it around