Author Topic: hey lads, whatda ya reckon the chances??????????  (Read 7929 times)

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
hey lads, whatda ya reckon the chances??????????
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:54 AM »
What do you reckon the chances of getting a group of juniors to ride Dad s old 125 vmx bikes to complete a class in the aussie classic dirt track nats in canberra this year, A junior 125 national championship class, how good would that be??

TM BILL

Re: hey lads, whatda ya reckon the chances??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
This is a wind up right ;)

firko

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »
I reckon the chances are none and zero. With respect Elsie, it's a crap idea. The juniors have enough opportunities to race their own bikes without intruding into our domain.

Doc

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
99% of young riders I know wouldn't be seen dead on a vintage bike! can't say I blame them, I was exactly the same 30 years ago ;)

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
Man  you should see the debate about this in the US. In AHRMA, a 16 yr old can race. Until then, they can ride trails( what I want to get my daughter into). My daughter wants nothing to do with modern mx( though she has crushes on Reed and Stewart ;D)-and wants to wait to race a Maico, "like Dad".

Anyhoo, the amount of bullshit with youth modern mx is sickening, I know=as So. Cal. and Texas are the worst mini parents there are. Many in VMX insist that we have no future without the kids racing now. Problem is, even if they raced until 19 or so in VMX, they go to college and into business and thier own family and all. Will they come back? Sure, but that is a lapse. ...and here in the US, we have a much smaller percentage of people born in 65-72 than just older or just younger.
In the US, we need to get ALL the people who are 44-55 now, and focus on getting the 24-30 yr olds involved next. As for the 31-43 yr olds, well not enough to matter-the numbers are too low. It's quite a challenge, but I think we can continue to get new riders/racers-and then many begin building bikes older then they are once they get in.

I understand the near vacant "13th generation"(65-72) is a non issue in Oz, so that make sit a bit more straightforward to recruit new racers.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
Hey Guys, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm intrigued by James' comment re the minimal US births during '65 to '72.
I was not aware.That's the 'Vietnam era'; is that in some way the basis for the strange stats? ???
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

gator

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
So do we keep the gay's out 2  ??? lord vadar  ???

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
Wasn't that the era of free love?  Oh wait.. no... they invented the birth control pill around then.

All Things 414

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
I guess that means "No you can't......." sigh

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
just a thought, few young guys in our club reckon the old bikes are pretty cool, keep the replies coming

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
I know we've banged around the whole age group at the Nats thing a few times, but I don't know we've ever pushed a Juniors class on vintage bikes. HEAVEN used to have a Juniors class, but rarely more than a handful of riders.

I wouldn't be thinking this is a class to 'keep the future of VMX alive', more a bit of fun and a sort of cross the gap kind of thing. I didn't know there were many young guys in ACT who thought the old bikes are cool, but I will say we usually get a bit of interest when we race at a club day. And there are a few young blokes riding this year in the vintage I believe.

I reckon it'd be OK, add a bit of colour and broaden the appeal if it did actually happen. As to the domain intrusion, well, we keep sticking our old bikes into modern meetings like our club days and Amcross and so on, so why not?

Are we expecting a few of these kids on Sunday, Pat?

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »
My own kids are no longer juniors and don't ride any way,
I don't think elsies kids are old enough to ride,
Last years vintage nats finished early,
so what would be wrong with adding a Juniors Vintage dirt track, It does not have to be the feature race,
there are a number of juniors that ride at Nepean not on vintage bikes but there dads do,
I support the Idea, and if any juniors want a ride I will make my  cr 125 available  to them.
I suspect that the Juniors Mothers/ Fathers will be the ones helping to run the event.
Cheers
Noel,
PS they are having Junior  modern support races at the Jack Hogg and the Parents Have to supply a marshal 8)
The more people that are there the bigger the exposure
don't worry about your kids what are you grand children doing
After all it is on Fathers day
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:56:27 PM by Noel »

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »
Hi All,
We run junior vmx classes down (pre 85) here in Tassie with mixed success we normally only get 5 or 6 in the 125 class and about 4 or 5 in the 80cc class. We have been running it on club days for years as we also have modern bike classes as well.  I would say definatly not in National events.

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »
I have no real opinion, but I'm a bit confused as to exactly how the attitude shown in this thread fits with the statements of only a few weeks ago about how VMX (and therefore presumably VDT) 'is about old bikes not old riders'.

Nor do I understand why it's OK to stick a younger guy on a VMX bike and have him race for a senior title, but its not OK to stick an even younger guy on a VMX bike and have him race for a junior title?

If they're on old bikes then what's the issue?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
thankyou for the replies everyone, thanks also to noel for the offer to let a young guy ride your bike, I, no, off 3, jnrs who would love the oppurtunity to race your bike, I myself have 3 125s, 2 of which I will be competeing on and if there are young guys who want to ride mine, in the juniors, they are most welcome.
 thanks also for all the positive threads received, as to the not so positives, I have been involved in dirt track since 1989 in ACT, with my oldest son, now 26 and growing up racing around various dirt tracks from broadford, shepparton, albury all
 the way up the east coast to brisbane, winning  numerous club and state championships with top 3 placings in a few australian championships, to going of doing his trade, while getting around on his Ls and Ps on his WR400, buying his GSXR 1000, then to his hyubusa, settling down with the girl and paying of there house to now ripping up the dirt track again on his CRF450, and cant wait
till we run our 1st club day again,
to my second son who is now 17 racing around various tracks thoroughly enjoying himself,from an early age, untill our track was closed due to an environment order, to moving on to work and getting the odd ride in recent months on his CRF250 after our order was lifted, back out at the dirt track when dad isnt at work, doing working bees, or working on the reopening of the ACTMCC dirt track,
then there is my daughter who is now 6 and is so anxious and exited about her first race next saturday week at round 1 MX on her QR 50,
then myself, cant wait for sunday, take new m'ships, do sign on, make sure the water truck is full, then get the chance 2 fill up the elsinore, and go out and enjoy myself in the few sessions that are left, before packing up, locking up and coming home for dinner,unloading and maybe more club stuff, so our kids, our members, our mates, ourselves, soon for me, our grand kids have got a safe controlled track and environment to go to ride and enjoy our motorcycles.
2004-2005 dirt track meetings at canberra were getting better and better, numbers were growing, the classic DT classes were growing and growing, until some one decided to save money on dumping and we were unfortunate to have our DT complex closed under an environment order, which took 2years of working with government departments, red tape etc to have our complex reopened, to now prepairing for our first club day again in over 30months,
The ACTMCC dirt track committee of 4 volunteers finally had our order lifted, in the meantime bikes were put away unridden for months and interest dwindled away as we had no track.
once we had the order lifted, we made a decision to run a prestigious event, applying for the event, being successful in hosting the event, to now committed to the event and its success, to make it competitive, enjoyable,fun and thrilling to the committee, the riders and the spectators,and their families, and to also pick our sport back up to the competitors, families, club mates, after losing 28 months with out a local dirt track to ride on, to encourage interest and participation within the dirt track discipline,
We are dedicated to making the 2008 D T nats a success, with also running a format that we run 2  practice rounds of 5 laps, with 5 to 7 rounds off racing, or 4 heats and 3 finals, where needed, instead of driving 4 hours to a meeting, doing 3 sprint laps of practice, and 4 rounds of racing of  3 laps at 35 seconds a lap, packing up, 4 hours home, total cost for an 18 hour day 350+ bucks with entries, fuel, food, all for a total of 7 minutes on the bike!!!!!!!
thanks for the google maps of the track noel and Graeme, thanks for the 2005 kings and queens artical in the other threads, keep it coming